GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,575 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just received my new expansion and done some preliminary bookkeeping--parts inventory, counter sticking, card deck listings by card type, new unit additions for my own General Unit OB By Nation (for possible future scenario design of my own and the playing of more fan made two board battles), and starting a Game Log for the new battles. I've also reviewed the new rules and started checking out these scenarios.

How to choose a first scenario to play? Usually I go in order, as each expansion often introduce the new rules/units gradually as one goes along. However, this time I think I'll jump right to Hougoumont, the last scenario in the rules booklet.

After playing Bayernkini's Battlecry 150 Tactical Card Variant (based on CCN's new Tactic Cards)as well as evaluating many Civil War leaders myself for the use of the more highly rated ones on the "Corps Command" aka Take Command command cards (see the BC150 Board and Files section), I can say that sometimes Tactical Cards barely affect a scenario, but in other games they can be very important. That being said, let's look at the tactical card allocations posted in the new GMT Expansion for the Waterloo campaign scenarios, on the wonderful new Tactical Rating Reference Card,--except for the new Hougoumont scenario, for which the TC allocation is noted in the new rules book.

Not only is this campaign more well know to many of us, but it gives us a rare chance to both replay old scenarios with the new rules/card decks and try a new scenario out with them as well.

Quatre Bras: Wellington 6, Ney 4
Waterloo: Wellington 6, Napoleon 6
Hougoumont: Wellington 6, Reille 4
Placenoit: Blucher 5, Simmer/Duihesme 5
Wavre: Thielmann 3, Grouchy 3

This being noted, how differently will they play out with the new dynamics of using two decks together--a modified Command Deck and the new Tactical Deck. There's only one way to find out. Play them!

If you're like me, you'll probably try out all the new scenarios before you go back to play any old ones. Still, its tempting to take these Waterloo scenarios and game them separately, if not before trying out the new ones than afterward.

I once asked Richard Borg why the French tended to win the Waterloo scenario. He said: "Look at the time of the battle. Its still early." But now it seems like in both Quatre Bras and Hougoumont, the British will have a tactical edge--maybe. Perhaps some day we'll get a later scenario: "Waterloo: the Final French Attack On The Ridge."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG, I can't wait to get hold of this expansion pack. I've literally broke my finances over the past two years buying just about all of the Commands and Colors games, many of them OOP and therefore from the USA at a premium price, with high postage costs and UK import taxes. All of them worth it, in my opinion. But for me this must be the most exciting of them all.

For one thing, Napoleonics is my favourite era, the expansion will add some very exciting scenarios to the overall line up since the base game and the new decks will enhance play. But more than all of this the expansion may just revitalise the many scenarios already in existence and make the replaying of every one of them a new rich and rewarding experience.

Great value for money, this one.

Now, if we can just have the Grand battle version, my gaming life will be complete

dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Not only can you replay all the old scenarios differently now, but new scenarios are included for every CCN army--yes, even three wayward Spanish units! And before we get Grand Bataille, there are still battles with more than one Allied army on the field together. Very cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.