Subject: Wolf of the Week 9: Shugyosha rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: wotw [+] [View All]
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is my privilege to introduce the next Wolf of the Week. A longtime veteran, he has somehow managed to avoid having a "rule" be developed as a result of his playing style. He won two Wolfys last year, one as a player, and one as a moderator. A well-rounded contributor, he is a genuine friend to everyone. I give him credit for being my progenitor-wolf.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your honey bunny, the samurai hare, that wascally wabbit, Shugyosha!

Shugyosha wrote:
I was born in middle England in Bletchley, Buckinghamshire. My family moved to the West Midlands for a while then eventually settled in Bedfordshire. I studied Chemistry at the University of Southampton, moving onto a Ph.D. at the University of St. Andrews. While there, I became president of the student union's rock music society and at the AGM where this occurred, a young lady was also elected onto the committee. We quickly hit it off and we were married the following year, before I graduated.

The next step was a couple of years at Georgia Tech then a job at a cancer research institute in St. Paul, Minnesota. Then one of my ex-colleagues called me up about a start-up company in Research Triangle Park. We moved down here in 2001 and have been there ever since.

I've been a gamer of all sorts through my life. Early on it was the usual kids games, though my strongest early memory is playing a game called Campaign with my brother and cousin. I played some chess. Our family also liked a lot of trivia games and I learned cribbage and solo whist from my parents too (though it was a long time before I beat my father at cribbage). Things changed a good bit when I discovered AD&D and we also played some of the other RPGs of that era, such as Traveller and Runequest. This continued into college. We did play some boardgames too, including Illuminati, Blood Bowl, Junta, Nuclear War, Kings and Things and some Star Wars games (Assault on Hoth, Star Warriors). I lived in a house of gamers too, playing the Space 1889 RPG and some of its associated games (Sky Galleons of Mars, Temple of the Beastmen).

Moving north to Scotland, I discovered White Wolf's Vampire: the Masquerade and spent a lot of time playing/running that. We also played some of the Games Workshop miniature games. I saw Magic appear in the hands of some of my friends, but resisted that until the Vampire version (Jyhad) came along.

Moving to the U.S., my wife and I both played Vampire and also Changeling. The Georgia Tech gamers included a fellow by the name of Frank Branham, who introduced us to Settlers and several other odd games printed in German. He also ran a number of live action games that were great fun. Then we moved to MN and there my main gaming outlets were D&D and the CCG Legend of the Five Rings. The latter was quite the obsession for me at the time and hanging around on the forums for that was when I first associated myself with the name shugyosha. We played more Settlers, some Cheapass games and also I got Tikal.

BGG entered into things after I moved to North Carolina. A work colleague was a big gamer too and he introduced me to Puerto Rico. That game led me to BGG. My wife had not cared for my CCG habit but she rather liked the board games, so I put aside the deck building and took up the boardgames with vigor. The family life, now with 2 young sons, gave less time for CCG tourneys and more time for playing at home anyway. My 6 year old now loves Gulo Gulo and a variant of Ticket to Ride. The adult favorites are T&E, Goa, Java and, recently, Ingenious. And playing on BSW too, of course.

And then one day, browsing BGG as was my habit, I saw the first Werewolf game. I wasn't sure what it was all about and watched it. I resolved to join the next one but it was full before I got there. Well, I wasn't to be denied the next time, so I jumped in with Tom Vasel's game as the Bodyguard, famous for the Fawkes Plan. I had a good time, but it was the next one, Agnespoodle's Antarctica game, in which I was vanilla but lasted to the end. So now I was hooked and the rest is history or rather recorded on Cassandra.

For his "Two Truths and a Lie," he offers the following puzzles for your consideration:

Shugyosha wrote:
1. My band's demo tape featured a song inspired by Alfred Lord Tennyson's poem "Passionless Gloom".
2. My trans-Atlantic flight coming to America was my second ever flight. The first was the shuttle flight from Edinburgh-Heathrow earlier that day.
3. While in Minnesota, I ate lunch with co-workers outside every day, all through the winter.

And a Reprise of my Survivor ones:

1. I was married in the cathedral at St. Andrews.
2. I reached the final day of the Legend of the Five Rings GenCon tournament (a 4 day event).
3. I was at the Olympic Park the night of the bombing during the Atlanta olympics.

Previous WotWs
1. xandryyte http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/135172
2. Royalflush http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/136015
3. TheArchAngel http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/136926
4. Bluebehir http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/138019
5. jmilum http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/139377
6. Melsana http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/140444
7. Kimapesan http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/142821
8. Beowulf http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/144387

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hinkle
United States
Twinsburg
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What the crap is that bio? I'm not sure what Beowulf's trying to pull here. Here's what he meant to paste in. I have it as gospel from my sources.

Shugyosha wrote:

I was born Margaret Mae Weston in Baton Rouge, LA. My father was a travelling horse brush salesman, and my mother, Ann, raised the dead. My earliest memories are having tea parties with the friends my mom would bring home. I used to get so mad when they got mud and black stuff all over the doilies.

My childhood was normal, except for some mild discomfort from the twelve inch protruding growth on the left side of my head. But it certainly helped me on the basketball court, I can tell you! I was varsity all the way in High School. Go Tigers!

In college, my grades suffered as I'd discovered pot, hashish, cocaine, PCP and methamphetamines. Manufacturing and sales took up all of my time. My parents were upset about the grades and my mother would send her clients to visit me at school, but I think they were just pissed because the Jag I bought myself was cooler than their Honda.

After college I joined the Navy, where I worked as a radar jamming signal. Boy, my throat would get sore after a while.

I discovered BGG back in the 70's, but just waited around until it was properly coded. Then people started talking about playing Werewolf, and that sounded like a pleasant way to reintroduce myself into society as a man.

And here I am! Thanks for the opportunity to be Wolf of the Week and could I interest anybody in some crank?

Beowulf, misrepresentation can result in legal action. You should be more careful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terri K
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good golly people... my username has a lower case x!!
badge
Females play board games too!!! ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet Bunny!!!

Grats on WotW!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukas Litzsinger
United States
Falcon Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats! Okay, so here's a question: most memorable WW moment in your illustrious career?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Least memorable moment? Go and find something about a game you were in that you had completely forgotten about *(but are glad to find) and tell us about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your four truths and two lies is too far from the bounds of reality for me to grasp. I can only work with two and one.

So do one more, and we can guess which of the three "two truths and a lie" is the real two truths and a lie and which two are the false two truths and a lie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Congrats Shug on WotW! Anybody who really likes Java can't be half bad!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
that's hard to take, about the minnesota winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
    Conserve energy:     Play Board Games!
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.
badge
Shake your business up and pour it. I don't have all day.
mbmbmbmbmb
agnespoodle wrote:
What the crap is that bio? I'm not sure what Beowulf's trying to pull here. Here's what he meant to paste in. I have it as gospel from my sources...Beowulf, misrepresentation can result in legal action. You should be more careful.

That was Shug's first draft. Although I was impressed by his blunt candor, I was trying to make the man look good.

You, sir, have no compassion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks Beo and all! I'll get to answering tomorrow. Already some tough ones to think about.

AP, you were sworn to secrecy! I can't believe you posted that.

Oh yeah and:

Beowulf wrote:
I give him credit for being my progenitor-wolf.

Sorry everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you ever go to BGG con?
Visiting Singapore anytime soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latria wrote:

or down under?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:
Your four truths and two lies is too far from the bounds of reality for me to grasp. I can only work with two and one.

So do one more, and we can guess which of the three "two truths and a lie" is the real two truths and a lie and which two are the false two truths and a lie.

When WotW (and even GotW, though I never really expected to get picked) started, I came up with a set of truths and lie. Then Yekrats made me give them up for the Survivor game and I had to come up with new ones. But I figure, not everyone read the Survivor ones so I can reprise them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:
Latria wrote:

or down under?

Define anytime soon.

I would dearly love to visit both of these parts of the world. Australia has been on my wife's list of places to visit for a long time. However, I don't see any international travel happening in the next few years, unfortunately.

As for BGG.Con, probably not for a couple of years, unless I am very lucky. But eventually, yes.

Oddly, I may have a greater chance of going to Javal-Con. My wife's grandparents live in the neighboring country (known as "North Devon") and that might work out. Though they might not hold with letting relatives across the border.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Luthien wrote:
Congrats Shug on WotW! Anybody who really likes Java can't be half bad!

You heard it here first!

Thanks Luthien. I like Tikal, but I seem to prefer Java. Both are just so pretty though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rukasu wrote:
Congrats! Okay, so here's a question: most memorable WW moment in your illustrious career?

Most memorable is nicely ambiguous, because I remember some of my losses and embarrassing moments as clearly as some of the victories. The first two things I thought of were Chaos Spawn World III choosing to lynch the NPC due to persuading myself he could have been the last infected spawn when I had already worked out when it was and he was clean) and one of the Haunted Village games in which I had passed Latria my item and then he turned up dead next day and Ze Weeg was saying that he had my item. Brilliantly, I concluded he had it because he was one of the wolves! Elementary, Spielguy! I said. But there it was in the flavor...my item was found on the dead body. blush And the shame of taking the name of Miyamoto Musashi (a man who never lost a duel in his life) in Dale's Highlander and then losing horribly in my very first duel.

But there were some great moments too. From catching Jmilum in Antarctica to playing Picard in Jaredh's Trek game. My first win as a wolf (Haunted Village 1.2) in which my partner was lynched D1 and I was viewed N1 to the Scouring of the Shire. Winning the Tavern Tussle.

Then there is the communal experiences - life in Survivor 1 in tribe
Garou - nothing to do with the game, just hanging out on our virtual beach with Kuchick, Jwandke, Arkibet, Seanp, MDP and Xandryyte. LOTR and AP's zombie trilogy. Dune. Overacting as Zaphod Beeblebrox.

Some single moments:

- taking out Melissa the Imp with my shuriken in Bewitched 5.5 (and I am glad she is on vacation this week so I can say this...)
- saving Acekim as Fido the bodyguard in Snow Crash (an order I agonized over)

But I think the winner has to be this one:

The Clash of Kings.

I was Bran Stark, poor crippled lad but with a power to take out another player if I had enough power to do so. Luthien had admitted to his evilness and he was the last one left. But if I acted too early then one of the other Houses would win out. I was sure I had waited too long, but I had lost Beowulf as my ally to the Others already, it was now or never. I made my play for the Iron Throne and then threw everything into taking down Luthien. When the smoke had cleared, the Others lay dead and the Starks ruled over Westeros.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bluebehir wrote:
Least memorable moment? Go and find something about a game you were in that you had completely forgotten about *(but are glad to find) and tell us about it.

This is by definition hard to pinpoint. Unmemorable things are just that and uninteresting.

But the one thing that springs to mind attaching the "(but are glad to find out)" was brought up again recently. Bewitched 4 I was caught as a witch and changed my avatar to Javal's for general hilarity and confusion making.

What I had forgotten was that I used one of those posts to make a final vote tally after lynch and announced that "shugyosha had used a potion of many votes and that Melissa was lynched after all".

I hadn't realized at the time that it gave Melissa quite the shock.

I'm sure she's forgiven me...

remind me why I sent her my address for the Christmas card thing again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mb
shugyosha wrote:
The Clash of Kings.

I was Bran Stark, poor crippled lad but with a power to take out another player if I had enough power to do so. Luthien had admitted to his evilness and he was the last one left. But if I acted too early then one of the other Houses would win out. I was sure I had waited too long, but I had lost Beowulf as my ally to the Others already, it was now or never. I made my play for the Iron Throne and then threw everything into taking down Luthien. When the smoke had cleared, the Others lay dead and the Starks ruled over Westeros.

Grrr.... and here I thought the "Others" may have had an actual chance in one of those games... then... what does the text say? Some kid on a stupid wolf kills me when I was about to make my kill!!! I mean seriously, I should have been able to break out my Rex Kwon Do and whacked ya right off that wolf and killed everyone!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luthien wrote:
shugyosha wrote:
The Clash of Kings.

Grrr.... and here I thought the "Others" may have had an actual chance in one of those games... then... what does the text say? Some kid on a stupid wolf kills me when I was about to make my kill!!! I mean seriously, I should have been able to break out my Rex Kwon Do and whacked ya right off that wolf and killed everyone!!!!

George RR Martin should take a hint from that game for his next book. Feast of Crows: thumbsdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Golden Lotus
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
kimapesan wrote:
George RR Martin should take a hint from that game for his next book. Feast of Crows: thumbsdown

Aren't you glad he took his sweet time writing that thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:
kimapesan wrote:

Aren't you glad he took his sweet time writing that thing?

I wish he'd taken a little more time, and compressed it with Dance with Dragons like he planned to in the first place.

Looking forward to SecretSauce's Storm of Swords?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Acekim
United States
Boston
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:

I still owe you for that one. Blue coming out against you made that easier if I recall correctly.

I won't be around much this week, but I had to pop in and just say how much I enjoy playing with you. Fortunately, whenever I sign up for a game, there's a good chance you are in it . When I think of you, "Gentleman" comes to mind, even if sometimes you are an evil gentleman.

So being a Brit, what bothers you the most about the US? What do you love the most?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
acekim wrote:
shugyosha wrote:

I still owe you for that one. Blue coming out against you made that easier if I recall correctly.

Yeah I blooped on that one.
I was hoping to frame him for something or other. My memory is all hazy on the whole neurotic thing. Selective you say?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy O'Neal
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on WotW...

Is there any one game that you'd prefer to forget that you ever played in?

Same question for modding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SH W
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shugyosha wrote:
Rukasu wrote:

Winning the Tavern Tussle.

You were a complete natural, wheeling and dealing in that game. Explain to me what has that got to do with Chemistry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.