Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephanie Tennison
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the concept for this game, the clear and concise iconography/art, and how easy it is to print and play. But I keep running into a problem with game play. 75% of the time I will win or lose within the first two or three turns. Either I easily clear out all the external threats within five minutes, or I roll no combat at all and die within a turn or two.

Am I misunderstanding the rules? The win condition seems so anticlimactic. The game experience I want the feeling of overcoming multiple waves of threats through tactical dice allocation. I'm house ruling drawing two threat cards whenever there are less than two on the board, which makes for a longer game experience, but it is still clunky. Please advise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
5 minutes? That's very short. The worst I've had is about 5 minutes (if I get a string of bad rolls), but the plays usually average around 20 minutes. How could you possibly be getting through the entire threat deck in 5 minutes to get a win? Does sound like you're doing something wrong. Let's check:

First off, before start of game: you're drawing 2 threats. Then...:

1) Roll all your dice.
2) Immediately assign scanner dice (that's 6s if using pipped dice) and draw a new threat if 3 are locked in (and put those 3 dice in the Returned area).
3) Assign remaining dice as desired, applying their abilities.
4) Draw a threat from the deck, put in required place.
5) Roll threat die, activate threats matching the result.
6) Gather all your Returned/Unassigned dice back up (i.e. all those not locked into scanners or in infirmary).

And repeat. Sound like your sequence of play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Stephanie,

There is a video I did in the videos section that covers the flow of the game. There's only a few spots where I think you might have got the rules wrong.

Whenever you roll the Threat icon, you place those up at the top and if all those spots are full, you immediately draw a new threat card. You cannot use Medics to prevent this draw.

You cannot assign a die to a ship station and leave them there for the next round.

Some threats such as the Scout Ship can make the game overly difficulty or easy depending on if you're playing them correctly. Special threats like those are clarified in the rulebook.

The dice are weighted in favor of allowing the threats to build up (there are more defensive sides) because I would say much of the fun is about threat assessment and making some sacrifices like putting a ship in Stasis over recharging shields. The game is supposed to be hard, and depending on how many Don't Panic cards you're using, you should lose a lot more often than you win.

While luck can definitely screw you (this is a dice game afterall!) there should be many opportunities where making a different decision in the past could have resulted in further progress.

Now clearing initial threats early and then immediately clearing everything as it comes is the other end of the luck spectrum. I hope you are not ending the game early once you get into this loop, because baring incredible rolls, clearing all your threats early means the harder stuff is coming later.

The average health of a threat is around 2.5, rolling 2 tactical dice in a single roll of 6 dice is 26%. Even on average rolls, you can't keep up the draw>>destroy loop.

I would modify the deck with Don't Panic Cards to a point in which you are losing more often than you are clearing threats with an empty board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Tennison
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah hah! I have found the issue. I just went to the rules to quote the "OR" between the two win conditions and discovered... it's not there! There's an implied "AND" between them that I completely missed.

Thank you for the help! I'm off play some much more difficult games... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Tennison
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaahhh, that was much better. I played a game last night with the correct rules and it was longer (yay!), more fun (yay!) and had a much better rhythm to it. Thanks again for helping me out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just posting to say I had the same issue with the rules here. Now i understand the game, the end was way anticlimatic. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the issue? The win condition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Guijo
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missread the win condition like Stephanie did. Now the game its right. Good solo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you save un-assigned dice/crew for the next round (keep that result without rolling again), if you choose not to assign these dice to a station/action?

For example, save 1 repair dice in hope of getting 1 more next round for the +2 effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
marcuslind1 wrote:
Can you save un-assigned dice/crew for the next round (keep that result without rolling again), if you choose not to assign these dice to a station/action?

For example, save 1 repair dice in hope of getting 1 more next round for the +2 effect.

This was asked not too long ago: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1617839/unassigned-dice

You cannot save un-assigned dice. You must roll all available crew.

Good luck, Captain!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lind
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! This makes the game harder

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.