Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orders are written simultaneously, and (as I understand it) revealed and executed simultaneously.

However, given that orders only specify the *number* of blocks to move from a specified place to another, not *which particular blocks*, there will sometimes be an element of humming-and-harring once both players reveal their orders:

"Seeing that the French player has ordered two blocks to Abraham, where I have also ordered two blocks to move, should I choose my two strongest blocks or my two weakest ones (as I had originally intended)?"

Hence, should one player take the plunge and physically *move* his blocks *first*? That would keep things simple, would it not, whilst giving no advantage to either party?

If so, would it be acceptable to ask the French player (purely because he is the defender) to move his blocks first, and then for the British player to move his?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, movement is simultaneous as well.

Most of the time, this will not matter. However if two armies move to attack each other, there is a very specific rule on how this is resolved. See the bullet points in 11.1. If the English try to move from A to B and the French from B to A, then the group that contains the fewest units does not move and defends. (In case of a tie, the French stay and defend.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MATTHEW SPRING
England
Truro
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Gary, but does my *edited* question (which unfortunately crossed your reply) change your response?

Is there not some humming-and-harring when both players choose to move blocks to the same location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't see that scenario changing anything. You don't get to see what the opposing blocks are until after all movement is complete. You both get to learn that you will both be advancing into the same area, and how many blocks (units) you will both have, but the rest stays hidden. Also, you may not change the number of blocks to move at that points. Thus, there really is no difference who chooses and physically moves first. At that point, you know your opponent will be bringing in X number and you must bring in Y. If you want to establish a protocol, fine, but there is no real need, unless you or your opponent have a real problem with second-guessing what to send to the battle.

Again, the problem with labeling it as "French move first" or the like is in the case I mentioned previously. The French might not end up moving at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.