Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
We had a few times where one player's choice of which ships get damaged/killed would influence the other player's choice. We couldn't find it clarified in the rules.

Is it there somewhere and I'm just blind?
Or is it unspecified? If so, what is the intent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris in Kansai
Japan
Otsu
Shiga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
We had a few times where one player's choice of which ships get damaged/killed would influence the other player's choice. We couldn't find it clarified in the rules.

Is it there somewhere and I'm just blind?
Or is it unspecified? If so, what is the intent?

Section 7 second paragraph states "both players attack “simultaneously” (that is, losses are applied to both sides and removed from play to their Scrapyards at the end of each Step)

I would assume this means that beam attack damage is applied simultaneously, so if there's a "well if you do that I'll do this" situation the players should assign hits to their counters behind a well-placed hand, then reveal together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Chrysm wrote:
Section 7 second paragraph states "both players attack “simultaneously” (that is, losses are applied to both sides and removed from play to their Scrapyards at the end of each Step)

I would assume this means that beam attack damage is applied simultaneously, so if there's a "well if you do that I'll do this" situation the players should assign hits to their counters behind a well-placed hand, then reveal together.

This is what we indeed hesitantly ended up doing, but we weren't sure; also it's usually more pleasing to apply damage with the other person watching (both to catch possible accidental errors, and for them to more easily see what ended up happening to the ships). And a bit cumbersome to have to separate apart the ships and hide them while adjusting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If both players agree, have the attacker make their decisions first.

It's intended to be simultaneous to speed up play, but you are correct that there are situations where timing matters and a little extra time is worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.