Verno Whitney
United States
Winfield
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They've got Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization for their Daily Deal.

Even after shipping to (most of) the United States it's less than $40 USD with the current exchange rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Speicher
United States
Potomac Falls
VIRGINIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure if i'd even pay 20$ for this, was instantly outdated with their new release. Staying clear of EGG from here on out if at all possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, nice deal.

Thankfully I already have it. Just wish I could find time to play it. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwspiker wrote:
not sure if i'd even pay 20$ for this, was instantly outdated with their new release.

The fact that there's a new edition with tweaked rules & cards doesn't invalidate the fact that the original game is still ranked #4 on BGG. It's still a fantastic game that one can enjoy playing many times over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
If wishes were fishes all wrapped up in rices
badge
we'd all have a plateful of sushi.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the main difference between the two versions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Castle
United States
Mount Ephraim
New Jersey
flag msg tools
The one, the only, ...
badge
Keep calm and...MORE BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!
mbmbmbmbmb
nbread wrote:
jwspiker wrote:
not sure if i'd even pay 20$ for this, was instantly outdated with their new release.

The fact that there's a new edition with tweaked rules & cards doesn't invalidate the fact that the original game is still ranked #4 on BGG. It's still a fantastic game that one can enjoy playing many times over.

This. The original is one of the best games ever made according to many. The fact that there is a new edition instantly makes the old irrelevant? Well, I guess I have to throw away my Fury of Dracula 2nd edition, A Study in Emerald, and Merchant of Venus, all of which are earlier editions that I believe are better. Also, shame on Eagle Gryphon for reprinting a classic that everyone loves and many could not get their hands on reasonably while simultaneous making some gameplay enhancements. They really shouldn't be in this business to make money, what's wrong with them!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Chambers
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
exar_DC wrote:
nbread wrote:
jwspiker wrote:

This. The original is one of the best games ever made according to many. The fact that there is a new edition instantly makes the old irrelevant? Well, I guess I have to throw away my Fury of Dracula 2nd edition, A Study in Emerald, and Merchant of Venus, all of which are earlier editions that I believe are better. Also, shame on Eagle Gryphon for reprinting a classic that everyone loves and many could not get their hands on reasonably while simultaneous making some gameplay enhancements. They really shouldn't be in this business to make money, what's wrong with them!?

Throw out? No. But if there's a better edition that has almost everyone saying "this is the better version" why would I ever pay for an older version that will be extra hard to get rid of and trade?

It isn't worthless, but it certainly wouldn't be worth buying when the new edition is only a little more. $10? sure $20? Heck, I'd just rather pay the extra amount and get the new version, even at that low a price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fakewindow wrote:

- new art
- card tweaks
- upper limits may of changed (for certain middle board stats)
- think they went with cubes as markers
- Military/tactics are suppose to revamped especially tactics as now it suppose to eliminate random card draw on getting a good tactic card

I got on the last KS one for Eagle trying to make a quick buck. Sadly I haven't played my edition yet due to lack of interest in my gaming group for such a game. I have played online. I kind of regret buying it (even knowing about new edition at the time) but that KS gave me a cheap Roccoco and that has been extremely fun.

edit: all from memory btw and glancing lightly; this may or may not be all true
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan D.
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
If wishes were fishes all wrapped up in rices
badge
we'd all have a plateful of sushi.
mbmbmbmbmb
KingD21 wrote:
fakewindow wrote:

- new art
- card tweaks
- upper limits may of changed (for certain middle board stats)
- think they went with cubes as markers
- Military/tactics are suppose to revamped especially tactics as now it suppose to eliminate random card draw on getting a good tactic card

I got on the last KS one for Eagle trying to make a quick buck. Sadly I haven't played my edition yet due to lack of interest in my gaming group for such a game. I have played online. I kind of regret buying it (even knowing about new edition at the time) but that KS gave me a cheap Roccoco and that has been extremely fun.

edit: all from memory btw and glancing lightly; this may or may not be all true

Thanks! Ended up buying it and just using BGB's Hold/merge order option. Figured it was a good enough deal to give it a shot! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Baxter
Canada
Calgary
AB
flag msg tools
Supercalifragiliticexmealidocious
badge
Mars by 2050!
mbmbmbmbmb
The two versions of the game are not close to the same game.

The new version isn't 'tweaked' it's completely revamped, while the jury is out on if the new or original game is better, they are likely going to play extremely differently.

It's like 1st ed DnD and 5th ed, or 1st ed Twilight Imperium and 3rd ed, sure, 'same' game, just completely different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Moleman
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
I was saying boo-urns
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgbaxter wrote:
The two versions of the game are not close to the same game.

The new version isn't 'tweaked' it's completely revamped, while the jury is out on if the new or original game is better, they are likely going to play extremely differently.

It's like 1st ed DnD and 5th ed, or 1st ed Twilight Imperium and 3rd ed, sure, 'same' game, just completely different.

Probably should of added more stress on the change to the military. Military is a big deal in this game [at least concerning the current 3rd edition]. Unless playing with the friendly variant, military buildup is unavoidable -- assuming you like to win. [take my opinion with a grain of salt as I've only scratch the surface of TtA]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.