Recommend
18 
 Thumb up
 Hide
99 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Sword & Sorcery» Forums » General

Subject: A.M.A. (Ask Me Anything) with Ares & Gremlins Today, October 21st, 11 PM CEST rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the Sword & Sorcery A.M.A!

You can ask any question about Sword & Sorcery and I (Roberto Di Meglio - Ares Games), Simone Romano and Nunzio Surace (Gremlin Project) will answer them as fast as we can!

You can start posting questions on this thread, now. We will be online two hours from 11 PM to 1 AM.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yash Samant
United States
Custer
Washington
flag msg tools
How exactly do you decide where to place hero minis on tiles when there are no grids? Wouldn't that allow cheating too easily?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) What do you say to those who feel that the clothing for the heroines are questionable?

2.) Do you have an expansion schedule and what is it?

3.) What was the most interesting thing you encountered during the development of this product?

4.) What heroes do you usually play?

5.) Any ideas for an Eastern/Kung-Fu Setting in the future?

Really looking forward to getting some gameplay videos, but the rulebook is quite good. Thanks for this opportunity guys!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to reading the rest of this later.



Q1: I don't want S&S to be a clone of Shadows of Brimstone - one of the things I like about SOB, is that the monster cards are big and each monster has elite abilities and can have 0,1,2 or 3 of these to scale the difficulty. Any chance you'll do something similar in this or future expansions?

Q2: Any chance we'll see some teleporting enemies? (example: monster teleports and attacks a hero. When they are struck - regardless if they are damaged - they teleport away again.)

Q3: For me, the biggest draw in an RPG or game with any level structure is customization. I'd love to see a plethora of skills, tactics, upgrades, weapons, etc. Roughly, how many options are we looking at for customizing characters at this point?

Q4: In the past you have of course paid homage to great Sci-Fi characters in GD, will you be doing something similar with S&S? (I love the T.A.H.I.T.I. device in GD.) How about a skill/spell/ability "You Shall Not Pass!"?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah !

Let's go !

Q1) is this game challenging?(i hope so )
Q2) are the monsters/boss still hard to kill when the heroes become more powerful ?(no balance issue ,sometimes a problem in those kind of game when heroes become too powerfull )
Q3 ) will we see another female heroe as SG/add on (maybe a tank class?i think an armored female could be great,so a tank/warrior ?or paladin?)
Q4) will we see more boss monsters in the KS ?
Q5) the artwork on the box is great...any poster available during KS maybe?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,

Q1: what is the biggest diffenrece from galaxy defenders?

Q2: what is the biggest similarity with GD?

Q3: is playing solo fun?

Q4: is this more a scenario or campaign based game?

Q5: is the game more luck based or more tactical?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yash Samant
United States
Custer
Washington
flag msg tools
On the Kickstarter Campaign page, under "KS Extra Contents", are all the items with the green KS symbol Kickstarter Exclusives? If not, which items specifically in the campaign are Kickstarter Exclusives?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How is "story driven" promise handled? Is It just fluff texts in the beginning and in the end of are there really story plot points that affect the outcome of the story and campaign?

IF there are plot choices (moral dilemmas etc.) to be made do the players have full control of the choices or do the character alignment and character choice play some part (a berserk character must resort to violence although the player can see it is not the optimal choice).

Is there a lose option for the campaign scenarios or do you need to restart and try again until you get through?

Is the campaign structure linear or branching?

What is the one big NEW idea that sets S&S apart from all the other cooperative dungeon crawlers (Mice & Mystics, Shadows of Brimstone, Perdition's Mouth etc. etc.)

Will the game be challenging enough for long time tactical miniature gamers?

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Irish Man
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Any thoughts about making both male and female versions of the characters as a stretch goal?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1) Will we see AI for the Galaxy Defenders aliens from the expansions added to S&S?

Q2) Are there any scenarios with exploration? Where the map isn't preset?

Q3) Related to the previous one, will there be a variant system in place where we can randomly draw tiles and monsters, loot, traps, etc to play through a random map without using the campaign scenarios?

Q4) Will there be any heroes that are more unconventional (e.g. Minotaur, Lizard Man, Troll, etc) like you already did with the Lycanthrope?

Q5) Are there sidequests included in the campaign or all scenarios linked the overall story?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yvs2010 wrote:
How exactly do you decide where to place hero minis on tiles when there are no grids? Wouldn't that allow cheating too easily?


There's no grid, but each tile is divided into areas. We are designing the tiles so that the area are easy to recognize, thanks to color, textures, and separators.
Each area also has a small crosshair symbol, to avoid any doubt and help Line of Sight tracing.
The exact position inside the area does not matter.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gutrix wrote:
1.) What do you say to those who feel that the clothing for the heroines are questionable?

2.) Do you have an expansion schedule and what is it?

3.) What was the most interesting thing you encountered during the development of this product?

4.) What heroes do you usually play?

5.) Any ideas for an Eastern/Kung-Fu Setting in the future?

Really looking forward to getting some gameplay videos, but the rulebook is quite good. Thanks for this opportunity guys!


1) We respect everybody's opinion. But we don't think of our heroines as offensive. They are beautiful and bold, just like our male heroes. Some of them show skin,

like some of our male heroes do. Boys and girls are sexy in different ways, and all our heroes, male and female, are sexy. This is very typical of characters in S&S

as a genre, and our game delves into the genre and plays with its cliches.

2) Yes. We cannot announce all the expansions yet. as many of them will come into existence as a result of the stretch goals we unlock! But we have at least one big

expansion, one medium size one, and a couple of smaller ones ready if the launch of the game is successful. Most of these expansions are stretch goal in the KS, and

free for our backers

3) Personally, the fact that I could work with some amazing sculptors, and use extensively 3D sculpting as a part of the process.

4) I like the Dwarf a lot!

5) Not until now :-)
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonte Rydberg
msg tools
mb

Q1: Since there is no grid system, using proxy minis should be pretty easy. Considering this - are you planning on adding any monstercard/rules/tokens for extra monsters not included as minis in the KS?

Q2: Please is it possible to do something about the Orc kings axe?
The Troll master enemy looks really cool and terrifying, but unfortunately the Orc king only manages to look a bit lost with his pose and unusable axe...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
yeah !

Let's go !

Q1) is this game challenging?(i hope so )
Q2) are the monsters/boss still hard to kill when the heroes become more powerful ?(no balance issue ,sometimes a problem in those kind of game when heroes become too powerfull )
Q3 ) will we see another female heroe as SG/add on (maybe a tank class?i think an armored female could be great,so a tank/warrior ?or paladin?)
Q4) will we see more boss monsters in the KS ?
Q5) the artwork on the box is great...any poster available during KS maybe?



Q1: You bet!
Q2: Yes. No free lunches in S&S. Some of the little ones may become easier... but they become tougher again with "swarm" rules
Q3: At the moment, is not in our plan. We are trying to make the characters different from each other as much as we can, before creating variants of the same archetype. But we have two more very powerful heroines in our lineup.
Q4: Indeed! At least two more during the campaign, if all goes well
Q5: Posters are a little troublesome to ship properly.. i.e. rolled. We might easily include a folded poster, but I don't know if it's very interesting. I guess most backers would just prefer more gaming material instead...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
yvs2010 wrote:
On the Kickstarter Campaign page, under "KS Extra Contents", are all the items with the green KS symbol Kickstarter Exclusives? If not, which items specifically in the campaign are Kickstarter Exclusives?


Only the items with the green wax seal are exclusive. The only proper game components which is exclusive is the Standard Bearer/Warlord. The other items who are not part of the retail set and are Kickstarter rewards, may become part of future expansions sold separately from the core set.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
irishman wrote:
Any thoughts about making both male and female versions of the characters as a stretch goal?


We are creating a lot of different hero sculpts, but creating new sculpts and new figures is very expensive... So, we think it's more valuable for our backers if each figure we creates plays differently, rather than creating duplicates which are just two dresses to the same gameplay. Most players don't mind playing a male or female character anyway... and in any case there shall be a good variety of characters of either sex at the end of the KS to choose from.
Really, this is as about adventures and heroic deeds... sex is not so meaningful in this context.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Busha
China
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply! Looking forward to reading more...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed Galaxy Defenders for a number of reasons. It felt different, a squad based game of tactical combat.. with character progression, and one long campaign. Kind of a grail description for me, if I'm to be honest.

My only knock against the game is that each play of a given scenario felt too much the same. It gave me little desire to come back and play the game again.

My question therefore would be: I see the board is modular now. That should help in creating home-brew scenarios. But in terms of the campaign that you have already laid out within the game, would you say that its individual scenarios (I believe they are called quests?) are more replayable than the ones in Galaxy Defenders, and if so, why?

Thanks for your time,
Brian
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glickman
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
cybernex wrote:
yvs2010 wrote:
On the Kickstarter Campaign page, under "KS Extra Contents", are all the items with the green KS symbol Kickstarter Exclusives? If not, which items specifically in the campaign are Kickstarter Exclusives?


Only the items with the green wax seal are exclusive. The only proper game components which is exclusive is the Standard Bearer/Warlord. The other items who are not part of the retail set and are Kickstarter rewards, may become part of future expansions sold separately from the core set.


Will backers ever end up doubling up on a component? For example, say the werewolves are release in a later expansion, will it include anything the backers don't have or will backers never need to buy something twice?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonte1977 wrote:

Q1: Since there is no grid system, using proxy minis should be pretty easy. Considering this - are you planning on adding any monstercard/rules/tokens for extra monsters not included as minis in the KS?

Q2: Please is it possible to do something about the Orc kings axe?
The Troll master enemy looks really cool and terrifying, but unfortunately the Orc king only manages to look a bit lost with his pose and unusable axe...


Q1: We are very proud of minis, it would be a little of a letdown to have monsters without minis!At the moment, the only monsters not included as minis are those included in Galaxy Defenders, as we are creating cards for them as one of our social goal. Also, don't underestimate the number of different monsters in our KS. The different ranks of one monster "race" plays very differently from each other, and they are to all practical gameplay purposes "different monsters"...

Q2: It may be unusable for me and you :-) not for him. He did not raise to power using finesse ;-)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1) do you plan to release big expansions like the ones for GD for S&S or will the expansions add to the core game with more heroes, cards, enemies, etc?

Q2) I haven't finished reading the rulebook so this answer might be there, but how does a mage play different from a fighter character? Are spells just abilities that trigger on dice as well, as if it were a sword with abilities?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
I really enjoyed Galaxy Defenders for a number of reasons. It felt different, a squad based game of tactical combat.. with character progression, and one long campaign. Kind of a grail description for me, if I'm to be honest.

My only knock against the game is that each play of a given scenario felt too much the same. It gave me little desire to come back and play the game again.

My question therefore would be: I see the board is modular now. That should help in creating home-brew scenarios. But in terms of the campaign that you have already laid out within the game, would you say that its individual scenarios (I believe they are called quests?) are more replayable than the ones in Galaxy Defenders, and if so, why?

Thanks for your time,
Brian


First of all, a Quest will play quite differently if you play with Law or Chaos. That's already 2x the replay value of GD.

On top of that, the way monsters are defined, and the activation system works, allow for easy modifications of a Quest replacing one type of monster with another. It is very difficult to modify a GD scenario... here, creating a variant is much easier.

This should also provide a "stepping stone" for would-be scenario creators to develop their own home brew Quests, we hope.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Kor
msg tools
cybernex wrote:
yvs2010 wrote:
On the Kickstarter Campaign page, under "KS Extra Contents", are all the items with the green KS symbol Kickstarter Exclusives? If not, which items specifically in the campaign are Kickstarter Exclusives?


Only the items with the green wax seal are exclusive. The only proper game components which is exclusive is the Standard Bearer/Warlord. The other items who are not part of the retail set and are Kickstarter rewards, may become part of future expansions sold separately from the core set.


The S&S Bag has the wax seal, but it is purchaseable as an addon ($5) too.
Thats not so exclusive, i think
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Di Meglio
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul G wrote:
cybernex wrote:
yvs2010 wrote:
On the Kickstarter Campaign page, under "KS Extra Contents", are all the items with the green KS symbol Kickstarter Exclusives? If not, which items specifically in the campaign are Kickstarter Exclusives?


Only the items with the green wax seal are exclusive. The only proper game components which is exclusive is the Standard Bearer/Warlord. The other items who are not part of the retail set and are Kickstarter rewards, may become part of future expansions sold separately from the core set.


Will backers ever end up doubling up on a component? For example, say the werewolves are release in a later expansion, will it include anything the backers don't have or will backers never need to buy something twice?


We definitely don't want this to happen. At the moment, for example, the various "horror" monsters such as Lycanthropes are part of the "Act II" Darkness Falls campaign, but also the other components to use in that campaign, such as tiles and scenarios, are part of the KS rewards. So if we should later publish that campaign as an expansion, it will not have more (and possibly, will have less) components than what you find on the KS.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yash Samant
United States
Custer
Washington
flag msg tools
Any chance you might have more Kickstarter Exclusives? Because those tend to help with raising funds during the Kickstarter, and give backers more rewards for backing.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.