Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner

My main concern: Is the base core box game good enough to play without having to buy never ending expansions? Limited game budget.

It will be played occasionally (2 - 4 game days a month) with others who do not have the game. Maybe I'll peak their interest and they'll buy as well.

Is there enough diversity with just the core decks (4 corporate, 3 runner decks) to keep interest over time?

Thanks for any input, Bob.................
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's definitely enough interest.

BUT - the suggested intro decks SUCK. You'll want to make your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if I buy a few expansion packs (key word FEW) will I be able to make pre-made decks to let other players to choose from?

I don't want to go through deck building on game day. Just want to pull out the decks and start playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree with the intro decks sucking. It may be true when you play the game a lot and get behind the dynamics - maybe then, you begin to understand that those decks can and even need to be optimized. But playing with a friend who owned the game and introduced me to it, we had a great time with the preset decks and I would assume that I would need about 20 games to begin to tire of it - rather more even.

Diversity is absolutely there already with the 3 different decks for each the runner and the company (or was it 3 and 2?). Go get it, if you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pupselchen wrote:
I disagree with the intro decks sucking.
Ditto. The intro decks work great _and_ are a good starting point to create your own decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you are heavily drawn towards Netrunner for the theme or highly asymetric gameplay, I would rather pick another LCG for this.

With Netrunner, you pretty much have to know your own deck at the very least, to make non-random decisions during the game, and better yet know roughly what to expect from the other deck as well. It is NOT a game, where you can just draw some cards and then try to do with what you have. You need a plan, you need to find ways to get past problems, which often involves getting specific cards from your deck, and so on.

Star Wars: The Card Game is probably best-suited (from the LCG/ECG genre) to just hand someone a deck and play. And you absolutely do not need many expansion for it to work really well.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner is great and if you only play against people with your cards, you don't need a lot of cards to enjoy netrunner and its diverse strategies. If you like the base game, you might want to buy one or two data packs or one of the larger expansions to have more deck building options and get better cards for the corps, but the base game is definitely fun in itself.

My partner and I were drawn to it because of the asymmetrical, tense gameplay. We have no intention to ever own all the cards. We now own several expansions, but we had a lot of fun with just the base game before that. I would not have needed expansions yet, but my partner likes getting new cards.

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hohenstadt wrote:
Even if I buy a few expansion packs (key word FEW) will I be able to make pre-made decks to let other players to choose from?

I don't want to go through deck building on game day. Just want to pull out the decks and start playing.

That depends on how good you'd want the decks to be -- there are cards in the base box that you probably want in every runner or corp deck if you don't have that many cards to coose from overall. But it would be easy to just stick those into an otherwise pre-built deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pupselchen wrote:
Diversity is absolutely there already with the 3 different decks for each the runner and the company (or was it 3 and 2?).

It's 3 (Runer) and 4 (Corp). I personally thought the core was a little boring, but I like complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Hohenstadt wrote:

Yea... went there. Didn't go that well.

My advice... forget Netrunner and other customizable card games if your opponent can't tinker their own cards.

It's a great game... but it really requires planning. Playing a deck you have not built yourself is... ok... but it's not usually the best experience, making the game less than it's supposed to be.

There's so much games out there, pretty sure you can find one that interests you that doesn't have the deck customization problem you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's plenty of diversity to casually enjoy the game for a very long time. I had the core game for a while and printed out the runner and corp character cards to mix it up. (I was very surprised to find that other players weren't trading these singles away because you get 3 of them in each data pack and only need 1).

I eventually traded away the game and some nice playmats simply because I could not find a regular gaming partner and did not wish to play competitively at an FLGS. My group is usually 3-5 and they all like to play together at the same time.

Fantastic game if it fits your group. Good price and the trade value is above average.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I really love this game with the core set only - in fact, I think I had an even better time with this before I felt like I had to get new cards. Sometimes custom made decks just hard counter eachother, so the match is decided before it even begins. They are so crazy specific, that I'd rather just play 2 suboptimal decks where anything can happen. I also haven't found anyone who is willing to spent time equal to the time the game takes to play to deckbuild with me pregame, and if I make the new decks alone I would have a huge advantage.`

But I do understand the appeal all I'm saying is go for it! It's tremendously fun just with the core set in my opinion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esther Joey Diamond
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been playing Netrunner a little bit lately with just the core deck and I think it's a great game. I think as I haven't played other LCGs, I can enjoy the decks straight out of the box - I don't know what I'm missing.

The only thing I'd caution against is buying the game to play casually with others - for me at least, it was a tricky game to learn. The asymmetry means you can't learn by watching the other player and the cards use a lot of lingo that isn't easy to grasp at first. Still, it's a great, tense, tactical game and I do recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all for your comments.

Bob............

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With just a core set, or a core set and a few data packs, no you won't be able to make a selection of decks ahead of time for people to choose from. You'll have to do at least a bit of shuffling to get the key core cards from one deck to another to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poczet Herbut
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Me and my girlfriend are playing with core set and Trace Amount pack for many months now and we never get the feeling that the game needs more for us. I play Jinteki so the bluffing and mindgames are more important than new cards. I haven't even touched the rest of the corps and she only plays one runner, so even if we get bored, we still have a lot to discover in just the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.