Subject: Can you have too much Zombicide? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blaine French

Temple
Texas
msg tools
mbmb
So I'm completely new to the Zombicide Franchise. I'm in on Black Plague at the knight level with some extra add-ons for good measure.

So can you ever have too much Zombicide?

It seems like we're getting a ton of content with this Kickstarter. However, one of my FLGS has Zombicide Season 3 Rue Morgue on sale for $65. I'm debating about picking it up, but from what I've read they have really refined the game going into black plague.

Am I reading correctly that the A-bombination in Season 3 is essentially the Ablobmination in Black Plague?

Would the Skinners/crawlers transfer over gameplay wise into Black Plague?

On a personal note, the fantasy theme appeals to me a bit more than some of my friends so that may be why I've avoided Zombicide in the past.

So is it worth picking it up at that price?

Will it just get tossed aside after playing Black Plague?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
In your position, why not just wait?

You're getting a ton of figures, player characters & content with your Black Plague pledge. There's no 'official' way yet to move Rue Morgue content over to Black Plague & I'm not sure I'd want to. Skinners/crawlers honestly don't add that much...

I'd honestly just show some patience & wait for Black Plague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they're really compatible and Black Plague is supposed to be refined so... why not be patient for a couple of months? Especially if you didn't want it enough to buy it over the past several years retail and several kickstarters. Your money would probably be better spent on an entirely different game. The projected ship date isn't that far off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat, never owned a Zombicide before this, I am going to wait. I want to lob fireballs at zombies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I own all 3 seasons, most additional add-ons, (retail not kickstarter) and yes, it's too much, in that I will never play some of the things I've got.

Black Plague is a different game, and I will make the same mistake with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bailey
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even have all of the extra add-ons, just Season 1 retail and the Season 2 and 3 KS packages, and I still have more stuff than I'll ever use, particularly now that I'm switching over to BP.

My advice, particularly if you prefer the fantasy/medieval theme, is to pass on any of the existing Zcide material. It's a safe bet that all of the game play mechanisms will get transferred over to the new them at some point, just wait it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the retail boxes for s1, s2, toxic city, and angry neighbors. Plus dogs, dogz, and vips. Love the game, but with all that stuff the game takes forever to play. (8+ hours for most missions)

Is that too much zombicide? Not for me, I love the game. But it is for most of my friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the retail box for ZC1 and then backed S2 and got all the stuffs. It was so much that it made the game a chore to play. We played a bunch of ZCs1 and played ZCs2 like three times.

I backed ZC:BP and got everything because they seemed to have refined some of our frustrations with seasons 1-3, and I can reuse the minis for our D&D campaigns. I basically treated it as a high quality miniature campaign with a bonus game that we might play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Hayward
Japan
Koto-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The variety of zombies from the various expansions and add-ons, makes the game far more puzzley as you try to plan out how and when to take down each zombie. It does however make it a 2-3 man effort to get the zombies on the board at the end of each round if you want to get the game done in any reasonable time-frame.

I`d highly recommend just waiting for the new edition as it is much more refined and is a good place to start. Dont overwhelm yourself as leave a bad taste in your mouth before you get to experience what makes it good at its core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin McClements
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't played Zombicide before backing Black Plague. A friend of mine has Rue Morgue, and it's fine, really whetting my appetite for BP, but no, I won't be buying it on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pekka Pennanen
msg tools
I´m planning to late pledge BP. I sent a message to CMON and got a reply, where they said, it´s still possible to get the game from German hub to Finland. So, no VAT and expensive shipping from USA.

I really like the game, got the S1 and S2, but... well, I´m not sure is the new season worth of 150 bucks. You get tons of nice stuff, but still.

The game mechanics seems to be pretty same as before.

So, is the game basicly same as the earlier versions but only with the medieval theme, or is there some crucial differences, which make the experience fresh and new?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Leslie
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lars Wurst wrote:

So, is the game basicly same as the earlier versions but only with the medieval theme, or is there some crucial differences, which make the experience fresh and new?

It's mostly the same game. Still, the necromancer adds a new mechanic that hasn't been in any of the previous versions of the game. There are some new types of Abominations that will add some new twists to game play. And there is an armor component, that will offer some randomized protection against Zombies, so that you may or may not survive a zombie in your zone or an extra activation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard there had been some tweaks / improvements but... you probably have enough Zombicide! I don't think it is really compatible with earlier versions but I'm sure you could figure out some rules to make it work.

Guess it depends how much you love it, and what else is on your wishlist that you'd be giving up for $150.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm honestly glad they are changing themes... my group was getting super burnt out on modern-times Zombicide.

It seemed every expansion only added complexity--essentially the same game, just more gimmicks or things to learn or remember. Keeping the instructions close-by so someone could figure out what Berserking or whatever other 50+ abilities their people had made starting up the game take as long as the actual game did.

Going back to 0 with a new theme and tweaking the way the game is played will hopefully be refreshing and bring it back to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bailey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
all 3 seasons of regular zombicide had gotten a bit cumbersome - as I tend to shuffle EVERY CARD together and play all my games that way. Granted if I don't want Toxic Zombies, or don't want Skinners... I simply treat those spawn cards as "normal" versions of themselves... but we determine that before starting.

I initially was upset about a whole new zombicide, but seeing just how many improvements there are to this game I'm likely NEVER to play the original Zombicide again. ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pekka Pennanen
msg tools
Thanks for the comments. So, it seems to be my analysis was pretty much correct, but...

... when I was reading the item list I got more excited to get the whole package. Finally I felt a little bit ashamed, too. You know, like the little kid who just wants something which he actually doesn´t necessarily need.

And I decided to buy the knight level!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.