Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo

Hi guys,

I decided to post the results here.
By getting more "thumbs up" in the top left corner we have a better chance of catching the eye of more players.

Onto the games...

TRADERS OF GENOA
Long game, 3 out of 4 liked it. One oout of four liked it but complained bitterly about the trading process.
I agree it is a long process.
One suggestion was everyone goes around clockwise and puts an offer on the block. The stackdriver picks from those three or takes it himself (if possible),
Final score (I believe) had MrBill in 1st with 600+ John just shy of 600, myself just above 550 and Sean @ just over 500.

Martin apparently had to run the gauntlet to make the games night, then stayed for 27 minutes or so. (???)

I played a game of TMSKGIMPFZERT (or something close).
A very visually appealing abstract. I was creamed, but it strikes me as a chessplayer development problem. If two people find the game at the same time and play each other over and over and over again, it should become a better game each time you play and push your skills a smidge against your "mirror.

Also played was

Ticket to Ride -- The new Big City expansion.
Muuuuuu
Wizard
Axehead
Memoir 44
Battlelore (Paul and ThatmarkGuy played this with the LORE I am interested to hear the review)

and now an unnecessary smiley face

Hope to see you all in 14.

Take care (and if you didn't click thumbs up in the top left of this post please do, it provides visibility and helps bring new gamers to our little Tuesday evening soirees.

MrZoz
goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Ottawa -- Tuesday Jan 16 -- Games Night - GOA Iliad Tich
I expect BattleLore will join RoboRally as a game that's always in my car, so anytime anyone wants to play it it'll never be more than a quick walk away.

But, as I understand it, a dedicated effort is being made to get Mu to the table. If we get enough players for Mu (5 is ideal, 4 or 6 is workable) that'll definitely get played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ottawa -- Tuesday Jan 16 -- Games Night - GOA Iliad Tichu
MrZoz wrote:
Are there any other requests?
Genoa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seandavidross wrote:
MrZoz wrote:
Are there any other requests?
Genoa

I don't know if that is a request to play Traders of Genoa, or a request for me to bring Traders (or both).

Let me know.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Both, really - although I could bring my copy. It's one of several games I've had for close to a year that I've never played (Mu also belongs to that group). I noticed you rate it highly so I thought you might be willing to get in a game and perhaps do some teaching. If you're in to that, I was thinking of bringing along a set of poker chips to use for money in the game (I noticed your comments re: missing 20's and small cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seandavidross wrote:
Both, really - although I could bring my copy. It's one of several games I've had for close to a year that I've never played (Mu also belongs to that group). I noticed you rate it highly so I thought you might be willing to get in a game and perhaps do some teaching. If you're in to that, I was thinking of bringing along a set of poker chips to use for money in the game (I noticed your comments re: missing 20's and small cards).

Well, if your game hasn't been played that's a crime.
Bring it along. I'll retune myself with the rules.
The chips are optional, you're probably ahead to spend the cargo real estate on another game. (The money comment is a nit pick).

See you then.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
What's the address again? I might be able to make it for the first time tommorow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: Ottawa -- Tuesday Jan 16 -- Games Night - GOA Iliad Tich
From the other thread:

Quote:
1896 Prince of Wales Drive
(Corner of Prince of Wales and Fisher)

For bussers, it looks like the "3" comes real close (when the bus turns off Fisher onto Viewmount you're a 3 minute walk? north of Broadway's), and the rush-hour route 107 (which goes down Price of Wales). At the end of the evening it shouldn't be tough to find a gamer-with-a-car that's willing to take you either home or, at least, to a transitway stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
From the other thread:

Quote:
1896 Prince of Wales Drive
(Corner of Prince of Wales and Fisher)

For bussers, it looks like the "3" comes real close (when the bus turns off Fisher onto Viewmount you're a 3 minute walk? north of Broadway's), and the rush-hour route 107 (which goes down Price of Wales). At the end of the evening it shouldn't be tough to find a gamer-with-a-car that's willing to take you either home or, at least, to a transitway stop.

D'oh! Time to make a stop at Timmy Ho's to wake up the brain.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory McDonald
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd definitely be up for giving Traders of Genoa a try...see you all there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Villemaire
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrZoz wrote:
Martin apparently had to run the gauntlet to make the games night, then stayed for 27 minutes or so. (???)

More like 2.5 hours!! Played battlesomething with Tony while waiting for some more people to arrive, and then the TtR "Mega Game" with the expansion. I got 75 points -- and if memory serves, the winner had 175.
surprise

I agree with the General that the trading in ToG is boring -- definitely doesn't live up to the "Traders" part of the name! The economics are also very tight for a trading game, making it difficult to wheel and deal. Not my cup of goo either!

Too bad the waitress wasn't wearing her glasses last night, I kind of preferred her the week before when she did!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The thread edit - it's breaking my mind!

I was involved in 4 games:

Me vs Paul in BattleLore (Crisis in Avignon). Taking charge of the forces of the French Sire Arnoul d'Audrehem, against Paul's English Sir Hugh Calverley, we traded blows early and often in a race to 5 victory points. I had the inside track for much of the game (I believe I led 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2) before my play of the lore card "Chain Lightning", which toasted two already-weakened archer units and ending the game in a 5-2 victory for me. Paul really densely grouped his units in the center of the board, which is a double edged tactic - yes, his units become bold by their support from friendly units. But they're also blocking one another's mobility and retreat paths.

The lore was definitely an interesting addition to the game... though this particular introductory scenario has us with duplicate diversified lore councils - which is to say, neither of us had any kind of 'specialization'. I'm sure that'd add another interesting wrinkle if your strategy might revolve around having more Stealth-based or Combat-based spells in your spellbook.

Then I ate, and when the Genoa and TtR games were still going on, Paul and I switched from BattleLore to Battle Line. This one went to Paul as I was constantly working so hard to prevent his capturing 3 flags in a row (one victory condition), I could not prevent him from capturing 5 total (the other victory condition).

Then the TtR game broke up and those who didn't flee sat down from a 4-handed game of Wizard. Bob, Paul, and I put up a fight, but resident Wizard pro (he even has a Wizard-logo-embroidered hat) Steve won once again.

Then it was time for Mu. While we hoped for 5, it still played well with 4 (Bob watched for the first 20 minutes, but only Bill, Sean, Steve, and I played). The first couple hands were disasters (missed contracts) but then we got into the swing of things. When all was said and done, I emerged as the first player to cross our 200-point goal (at about 12:30 AM). I think everyone thoroughly enjoyed it and will play again - hopefully with a fifth at some point. It's a game where, in each hand, the contracted player ('chief') chooses a partner and everyone else allies against the chief duo. It's one thing when that means 2 vs 2... it's a different dynamic when the opposition side outnumbers the contracted side 3 to 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played 3 games this week:

Ticket to ride for the first time. Resident expert Bob won with me in second. Pretty fun, I'd play it again. (And Bob won on ticket luck more than anything else with his Eastern Seaboard tracks)

Wizard that I won, as the Wizard Pro

And Mu, which the three newbies picked up quickly, but were still defeated by the local Mu guru Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.