Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Potential Spoilers

First the ranged weapon question.

I don't see it called out specifically anywhere but there are many Hit Location reactions that involve the monster making a basic attack or immediately striking the attacker but it doesn't make sense that the attacker could be back handed by the monster if they're six spaces away. I've been house ruling that those retaliations miss because that makes sense.

Thoughts?

Second is on Cannibalize.

So my group has cannibalize and survival of the fittest. Now this gets dark here (even for Kingdom Death) so feel free to stop reading.

Anyway since with survival of the fittest you roll 2d10 on intimacy and because of that we have a lot of dead mothers. I mean a lot. But we have cannibalize...

Do you see where I'm going?

It says the mother perishes WITH her child during childbirth. So mother and child die. Two deaths. Two corpses to cannibalize? Two resources? Eating babies? We do. We eat babies. Maybe it shouldn't count as an extra resource though, I mean the baby isn't a survivor, it's a dyer.

Thoughts on that one besides that we're going to hell?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Murphy

California
msg tools
On the first, basic action for each monster includes a "Move & Attack" so they notice you're shooting at them, get pissed, dash over and smack you one. If a Hit Location reaction specifically only interacts with a melee attack, it will tell you specifically and use the keyword "melee".

For the 2nd we had the same situation and ran it as only the mother provided a resource. The baby never became a survivor and cannibalize only applies to survivors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bayens
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm at work so I don't have any cards to check, but don't most reactions have basic action instead of basic attack? The basic action involves the targeting and movement, followed by the attack.

If a reaction has basic action, the monster will target, move, and swat at the person throwing darts at him, but if the card just said basic attack, I'd agree that the monster would miss a ranged attacker. My two cents.

And as far as the cannibalize I'd say you're just eating one survivor. You don't add a survivor then immediately remove it during a bad intimacy roll. Besides, a baby is hardly enough to feed a colony.

Edit: ninja! Wasn't fast enough, haha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MikeMuscles wrote:
On the first, basic attack for each monster includes a "Move & Attack" so they notice you're shooting at them, get pissed, dash over and smack you one. If a Hit Location reaction specifically only interacts with a melee attack, it will tell you specifically and use the keyword "melee".

For the 2nd we had the same situation and ran it as only the mother provided a resource. The baby never became a survivor and cannibalize only applies to survivors.

You're spot on with the first one. Thanks for clearing that one up.

@Noah - I went and read and it does say basic action which totally includes the movement AND the attack. We've been playing it wrong.

I still want to eat the babies though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rivermoth wrote:
I'm at work so I don't have any cards to check, but don't most reactions have basic action instead of basic attack? The basic action involves the targeting and movement, followed by the attack.

All of them say Basic Attack, none say Basic Action.

Which makes me question the Phoenix. Does a "Basic Attack" also include the rest of the flow with his Razor Wind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Murphy

California
msg tools
Entice wrote:

All of them say Basic Attack, none say Basic Action.

Just pulled out a HL card for the Lion and Phoenix. "Perform Basic Action, target the attacker."

Action, not attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I could've swore they (or something) said Basic Attack because I was questioning the Razor Wind part. I just looked at all the cards and they do indeed say Basic Action, not Basic Attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
There are some cards that just say attack. For these they miss if you are out of range. Most say basic action which generally includes movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
"Try to pretend like you understand what's important."
badge
"Crafted with genius, energized with madness."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why you wouldn't get a resource for the baby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Magnan
United States
St Paul Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reaction action was already answered.

As for the Cannibalize question, personally I think Cannibalize is only meant for survivors that die and reduce your population. However, in my opinion Survival of the Fittest is underpowered compared to Protect the Young, so if you want to house rule it that way go ahead.

Personally I prefer Protect the Young as it makes your settlement into a baby making machine. With SOF I wouldn't even bother with Intimacy rolls unless absolutely necessary. A 19% chance both parents die and 32% chance the mom dies, so 51% mortality rate! Not to mention dropping your chance of a savior all the way down to 1%. Not good odds.

Survivor of the Fittest
(1)19%, (2-3) 32%, (4-6) 33%, (7-8) 12%, (9) 3%, (10) 1%

(-2 pop) (-1 pop) (+1 pop) (+1 pop+sur) (+2 pop) (savior)

Protect the Young
(1)01%, (2-3)08%,(4-6)27%, (7-8)28%, (9)17%, (10)19%

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, the mother dying doesn't say -1 pop either, but obviously that is what happens. It's covered in the sentence saying "mother AND child die" or whatever (don't have it in front of me). Including "+1 pop -2 pop" math in the text would be silly and detract from the drama of the effect. But "mother AND child die." That lines covers the obvious population change for the mother and should clearly equally apply to the baby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
poeticallybored wrote:
Technically, the mother dying doesn't say -1 pop either, but obviously that is what happens. It's covered in the sentence saying "mother AND child die" or whatever (don't have it in front of me). Including "+1 pop -2 pop" math in the text would be silly and detract from the drama of the effect. But "mother AND child die." That lines covers the obvious population change for the mother and should clearly equally apply to the baby.

We play mother and child die as +2 random resources from cannibalize. We enjoy veal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Olivares
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't make a lot of sense for a tiny baby corpse to provide the exact same amount of resources that a full-grown adult provides -- that seems like cheating. I'd say you don't get any resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skip Olivares wrote:
It doesn't make a lot of sense for a tiny baby corpse to provide the exact same amount of resources that a full-grown adult provides -- that seems like cheating. I'd say you don't get any resources.

Whhaatt... there's plenty of bones in a baby... you could scrounge up a perfectly good set of Bone Earrings outta one!

(lol all joking aside tho im torn about this one, could go either way really).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Teves II
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

TREAT.

YO.

SELF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poeticallybored wrote:

TREAT.

YO.

SELF.

LOL A pair of baby foot rests? TREAT YO SELF!

(+1 movement... as you slide around on them in battle!)

-_- im a horrible person...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Alright we will continue our baby eating and reaping our resources.

We actually ONCE rolled a double lantern on intimacy but we didn't have a Hovel so yeah, no Savior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.