Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Among Nobles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Generational change - no family anymore and some questions about that rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Saskia Jansen
Netherlands
Voorhout
flag msg tools
First of all, I absolutely love this game!

But.. today I made the mistake of being late to start my next generation at the second generational change. And my fellow players decided that I had too many points, so they took all the sons I could take before my turn.

So I was left with no family. Fortunally the rules have a solution for that. You draw character cards until a male character is drawn. And that male is the new head of the family.

But I have some questions about this. It says in the rules that he marries a daughter (if any) from the oldest possible generation.

My question, should this new head of the family marry one of my own daughters or does this person marry the oldest daughter that is around in the game? I also had no daughters left myself, because my fellow players were nice enough to marry them all.
In this case, do I get the oldest daughter that is in play (from one of my opponents?). Or does my new head of family get no wife?

Also connected to this, the male I got was August III Sas, who had no marriage actions himself and no money actions. And I had no money and couldn't do a hire action.

So what happens in this case? The worst case scenario I can think is that I could only use his piety action and reactivate it twice and that is all I could do.

I hope you can clear this up for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lutz Pietschker
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
…he marries a daughter (if any) from the oldest possible generation.

He marries a women of his own family; if there is none, he stays alone and needs to find a wife. This is quasi-official, as we had that clarified for the German translation.
In your case, it looks like you stumbled into a very bad situation with no effective way out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troels Vastrup
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Saskia

Thank you for the kind words

Lutz is right, the new man can only marry a women from your own family.

The rule is made to insure no-one ends up in a bad place, with no or limited option for the rest of the game.

I have never seen what you describe to anyone else, that is really a bad situation. It is a unlikely combination of bad luck in both draw and money situation, brutal play from your opponents (I will not call them your friends ) and perhaps you taking a chance with your family.

We will think about whether an official ruling is necessary. In the meantime I would probably recommend you settling on a house rule. In this instance 4-5 gold would allow you to get back in the game. A better solution could be to let you select from the first 2-3 male characters in the deck and not just automatically getting the first one.

This is not official in any way, we never jump into rules alterations, but we will as I said look into this.

Have fun playing! meeple

Troels Vastrup
Among Meeples

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saskia Jansen
Netherlands
Voorhout
flag msg tools
Hello,

Thanks for the answer. I think what happened in this game was indeed a combination of bad luck with the draw, me waiting to late to get a son and most definitely brutal play from my opponents. They saw that I got loads of points and so they were reveling in the fact that I could not get a son and also would be left with no daughter. I wasn't too concerned at the moment it happened, I could not help it any way. Only when I got this blue character.. then it bothered me.

But the whole thing about marrying the oldest daughter was just not completely clear to us, which is why I asked the question.

Since we didn't quite know what to do, my opponents were nice enough to give me a wife for my new male character by drawing the next woman from the new stack (which makes up for their brutal play earlier). She was also blue, so they remained childless. But I did get 10 points out of the couple for the 2 remaining rounds.

I doubt this will happen very often. But well, it can happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saskia Jansen
Netherlands
Voorhout
flag msg tools
Hello again,

Well, I keep playing this game.

Just to get back on the situation that occurred. That has not happened again. But I have had a game last week with a new player who didn't play attention to the generational change quickly enough. It went very fast between II en III. So she only had one red male, namely Charles IX of France, left of her family. She did have a lot of money, but Charles IX had no marriage actions.

What was the biggest problem for her, was that at the start of the round she was the starting player and there were no daughters in play for her to marry. The second action of the character were hire actions, but she would not be able to use this with re-activation. I did btw, try to warn her and told her to marry my only daughter to prevent this, but she didn't and someone else snatched her up.

But the situation was now like this, she had one male and plenty of money. But could not marry that round. We decided on a temporary house rule that she could choose the first or second action with re-activation. Or else she really could do nothing.

This was on Wednesday. On Saturday, one person was also left with only one red male and no money. So he couldn't really do much the rest of the game.

I know both of these times it was really that the players didn't pay enough attention to the generational change as it was coming. What is a pity is that they can't really do much in the last rounds.

Otherwise it is still a great game, imo

I also heared another question. Someone was wondering if perhaps in the future there will be an extention with more different characters. So you could choose which ones will be in play and which are not and the games would have more variation. Maybe an idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.