Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sounds like a distributor/store unloaded a lot of non-selling inventory for someone to make $50 grab bags. Might be a way to build a quick games collection, but I can't see new hot games being on the list.

Appears to be Canadian, so the 50 might be more due to customs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's unfortunate that the "Spooky Game Knight"-themed box won't ship until the end of this month. A missed opportunity I guess...

I can see myself subscribing to a box just for the surprise aspect, but I wouldn't want to subscribe for a longer period of time. I would rather save money and buy the majority of the games I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew Spence
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just worry about getting duplicate games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd spend the $50 bucks on a good game you'll play over and over again... um... but that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. At this point, we have plenty of games and I'm getting much choosier about what I get. While the surprise element would be fun, I don't want to take the risk of getting duplicates of stuff I already have, or stuff that just isn't good for our group. I'd rather spend the same amount of money on a game that I've researched and am fairly confident that we will really like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also GameBox, which offers a single monthly game at a lower price.

I don't see why anyone would sign up for either of these. Takes a lot of the fun out of researching and buying board-games you will actually like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It costs about the same as the MSRP for many of the games, so it is too much like someone spending my money on regular-priced games that I don't get to choose. I don't see the point in that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jenkins
msg tools
badge
Me neither.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever this comes up I think about chipping in with a couple of other people and buying the service for someone else as a present. I agree with the other posters who think this has limited appeal. I could also see it being a decent idea if you had a coffee shop or some other business that had a board game collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
let's go.
badge
when i get home, i'm so tired. just roll over, please, i'm so tired.
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel_L wrote:

I don't see why anyone would sign up for either of these. Takes a lot of the fun out of researching and buying board-games you will actually like.

I was signed up for Gamebox for a while, and it was alright. The value (usually) wasn't there. There was a time or two where I received the kickstarter version of a game, complete with extras and whatnot, so that sort of incentive was nice. On other months, you'd receive one small game for 35 bucks for it to later show up on CSI for 20.

I didn't really receive any BAD games, but I just felt like I'd be better off looking at a list of the games they sent out and then deciding if I'd like to buy them.

I think that monthly subscription boxes can be a fun idea, but it has to have an added value above "we pick out games and send them to you at retail cost."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
38% off MSRP wouldn't even qualify as a hot deal for most games.

Pete (would also worry about duplicates since he owns a lot of games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel L
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
38% off MSRP wouldn't even qualify as a hot deal for most games.

Pete (would also worry about duplicates since he owns a lot of games)
For the record, GameBox takes your collection list at sign-up and will not send you duplicates. BoardGameBento does not, so potentially will send you duplicates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Mangus
United States
Williamston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct Joel, they do have the ability for you to upload your BGG games to avoid duplicates but THEY sent me the same game two months in a row, replaced the duplicate game with a damaged one and still have not replaced the damaged game. (I received the damaged game 3 weeks ago) I do not recommend their service to anyone!

Also, the games I have received from GameBoxMonthly have ranged in cost $12-$17 on amazon and have been games I would NEVER want. Most of them are still unopened but I can't find anyone else who wants the games either.... AVOID THIS COMPANY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CC
United States
flag msg tools
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
badge
The Shadow knows!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have rarely (if ever) heard a good review come out of any monthly game boxes. You don't get to pick what they send, they usually send stuff you have never heard of (for a reason), and you don't save much money at all from just going to the store and getting them yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like a great way to get a discount ranging from minuscule to negative on garbage games no one actually wants!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a few, not board game bento, which I might try out maybe.

What I have learned is that you spend 2X to 3X what you would if you just bought the game. The two that I did use, you were able to upload your BGG but still I was paying 35 dollars for a game with no extras, just a flyer promoting the business. I always looked up the games afterwards and one time I spend 35 dollars on a game that the publisher was selling for 12 bucks on their website.

My advice is that if you want to get the same but a better experience, Give 35 dollars to someone close to you, SO or family member, and a list of games that you want but haven't pulled the trigger on and then you will get more bang for your buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Posthumous Jones
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a great way to quickly fill your shelves with mediocre/bad games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmangus wrote:
That is correct Joel, they do have the ability for you to upload your BGG games to avoid duplicates but THEY sent me the same game two months in a row, replaced the duplicate game with a damaged one and still have not replaced the damaged game. (I received the damaged game 3 weeks ago) I do not recommend their service to anyone!

Also, the games I have received from GameBoxMonthly have ranged in cost $12-$17 on amazon and have been games I would NEVER want. Most of them are still unopened but I can't find anyone else who wants the games either.... AVOID THIS COMPANY

had the same experience

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know what games I want better than some company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm shedding tears of joy for the amount of uncommonly good sense I'm seeing in the responses here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like these companies because I'm a fan of premium firewood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My opinions with some raw data...

I have been subscribed for four months to GameBoxMonthly. It was a perfect choice for me because I am just getting back into board games, and I really do enjoy the surprise aspect offered by a subscription service. With that in mind, I've noted that I'm satisfied with the service, but have to realize that part of the value of what I'm paying for is the surprise factor, ease of use, and mostly, the fact that, although I'm getting a game I may have never have chosen, it's always (up to this point) a fun game.

My first GBM was January. The game was Gingerdead House. I give the game a rating of 8, and the BGG overall is a 7.7 with 104 ratings. Average $30 + shipping from Canada, Germany or UK.

My second GBM in February was Ultimate Scheme. I have it at rating of 8, and the BGG overall is 7.6 with only 13 ratings. $40 USD from Euros Geekmarket price from Germany or Netherlands. Shipping extra.

Third in March was Dread Curse (again rated it an 8). The BGG overall is 6.5 at 527 ratings. $20.48 (with shipping Amazon), No prime.

I just received Bloodsuckers and have not rated it yet. The BGG overall is 5.9 with 74 ratings. $12.55 Amazon Prime Retail Price

My cost is $24.66 per month (got the 3 month prepaid subscription). With international prices and shipping, these average about $33 per game. I know the point is that if you didn't want these games, the cost is not a factor. If that's you, don't do subscriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DB
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of starting one of these Loot Crate-esque businesses, but my branding kinda sucks: "RemainderCube: Like Big Lots, but more expensive and with no choice involved!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kokkonen
United States
Calumet
Michigan
flag msg tools
It looks like it's been a while since anyone has had any input on the topic here but, after being a subscriber to Board Game Bento for a year now, I would like to provide some insight.

Currently, paying for 6 months at a time gets a decent discount on the initial cost (I can't remember off hand what it is). If you were to pay for it by the month, you are spending $50 per box of games. Each box contains 3-4 games; 1 large, 1 mid-size, and 1 small/micro (sometimes an extra smallish game or expansion to one already included in the box).

They do not cater to your BGG collection, so there is a higher chance of getting duplicates, just not duplicates of things they've already sent you.

Each month of games gets themed, so all games in each box will have something in common; i.e. A recent box was themed Monster Madness. In it contained 3 to 4 Headed Monster (micro), Cthulhu's Vault (mid), and Gingerdead House plus expansion (large).

In the past year, I have not received any duplicates, though my collection is not as extensive as some others out here.

Generally speaking, the cost of the subscription has definitely been worth it. Of the games I have received and been able to try out, none have been particularly bad games and only 1 game that I have considered trading/selling. Out of 36ish games, I'd say that's not too bad.

If anyone has any questions regarding what I have received or about more of my experience with it, just ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel_L wrote:

Because some gamers may want to 'roll the dice' with games, before the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.