Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mel
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Aren't you glad I'm not the pied piper?
badge
Move a little closer so I can reach out and light your beard on fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle surprise shake laugh kiss

So... I'm in my gaming room eagerly setting up a new game I want try out. Suddenly it hits me, the absurdity of it all. I chuckled to myself of the thought, and leaned back in my chair. I looked at all those games and pondered the thought for a moment or two. Does it ever occur to you just how absurd it is that we enjoy pushing pieces of cardboard and plastic around? Are we nuts? How about those solo gamers out there? It's just us and the dust bunnies playing in a pile of cardboard and plastic. Helllllo!

Then I leaned forward, kicked a dusty bunny out of the way, and began pushing pieces around again. It's really pretty cool that we can do this in a joyful way, and the fact that we like other people's "ideas" put together from materials.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, you might be just pushing pieces of cardboard and plastic around....

I'm invading star systems, or trading between countries, or building up my civilisation, or protecting a village from invading ghosts, or....well - you get the idea.

;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunburst
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, yes, I have thought that a few times, but you know what? There are other people (usually) around you doing the same thing! I think it's fun and worthwhile, because of the social interactions that are taking place while doing so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's pretty silly.

I prefer the real world where we push pieces of paper and plastic around, trading it back and forth, hoping to have the most paper at the end of the "game" because somehow the little pieces of paper are supposed to make us happy. More paper better!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you take anything and break it down to the parts it all seems pretty silly.

Reading a book is really just staring at pieces of chopped up wood with ink on them. But it is more than that and so is gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sunburst wrote:
because of the social interactions that are taking place while doing so

Yup, this is the payoff for me too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bortmonkey wrote:
sunburst wrote:
because of the social interactions that are taking place while doing so

Yup, this is the payoff for me too

Even if you're playing solo, it beats watching TV. Exercising your mind is a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't usually feel absurd playing the games, I usually feel absurd looking at all the games I own and asking myself why I have so many.

Usually helps me purge a few, which then turns into getting twice as many as I got rid of.

I have AD, and apparently I like it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to think of it as higher primate stuff. Manipulating objects for the joy of manipulating them.

It also hits me when I am playing a game with limited theme. I enjoy the abstract puzzle but there is no way you can convince me that poker chips are gems and cards represent the entire gem market from mining to sales (Splendor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fribian wrote:
Does it ever occur to you just how absurd it is that we enjoy pushing pieces of cardboard and plastic around? Are we nuts? How about those solo gamers out there?

I've heard of people who spend many hours/days/weeks/months/years hitting a little ball with sticks into holes from a far distance. Over. And over. Now that seems absurd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So nobody else is concerned about the OP kicking bunnies? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say with this'revelation' it is not us that are nuts. I see nothing absurd at all. I also drive around in a metal cafe powered by exploding dinosaurs about 3'from my crotch. I control the rate of explosion with a foot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pup Selchen
Germany
Kassel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's about as absurd/crazy as staring at dry ink on very, very thin wood, thoughtlessly turning pages for hours and hours.

It's about observation: Everything that we cannot observe seems strange, wondrous, absurd or crazy. And everything happening exclusively in our minds is not observable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had those moments but also with work....

You just look around and think - what am I doing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm halfway through punching and setting up the games I got from Essen and I am already dreading the moment when I'm done with the last box. Good thing I have at least three more games in the mail as we speak. Yes, it's absurd, but so is the rest of my life cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Fribian wrote:
Does it ever occur to you just how absurd it is that we enjoy pushing pieces of cardboard and plastic around? Are we nuts?

To tell us this, you were pressing pieces of plastic with your fingers, causing a string of ASCII symbols to be displayed on an electronic surface, and then sent in invisible packets to other electronic boxes scattered around the world. Are you nuts?

Soon I shall nourish my body by opening a hole on the front of the top of my body and placing small objects into the hole. I will grind them with tiny hard white things, while covering them in a clear liquid, then use a flesh flap and some muscles in a tube to push them further down into a sack with acid. Am I nuts?

Yeah, pretty much any activity can be reduced to absurdity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whether your an 18xx nut, sitting there in your pin striped suit with your logarithm and speaking slide rule or the most extreme ameritrash dice fest junkie half way through your 3rd plate of sliders, there's no one whos main objective of a game is to literally manipulate inert physical objects, it's always about what they represent, as as with the book image above, it's a daft part of the bigger picture to hone in on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Whether your an 18xx nut, sitting there in your pin striped suit with your logarithm and speaking slide rule or the most extreme ameritrash dice fest junkie half way through your 3rd plate of sliders, there's no one whos main objective of a game is to literally manipulate inert physical objects, it's always about what they represent, as as with the book image above, it's a daft part of the bigger picture to hone in on.

While I agree with you to an extent we do get great joy from moving stuff around. Otherwise we would not need bits to our games, let alone cool ones. Why do we like bakelite over plastic. Because it feels good and things clack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Smilinbrax wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

While I agree with you to an extent we do get great joy from moving stuff around. Otherwise we would not need bits to our games, let alone cool ones. Why do we like bakelite over plastic. Because it feels good and things clack.

Yes, but that transcends gaming entirely. I'm replacing doors in my house, and some of the smooth actions on the new handles... oh momma!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Yes, but that transcends gaming entirely. I'm replacing doors in my house, and some of the smooth actions on the new handles... oh momma!

Sir, please! Women and children might read this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

Sir, please! Women and children might read this!
Oh come on, let the man crow about all the smooth action his knob is getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh This thread is SO well timed for today's XKCD!

http://xkcd.com/1593/

Yes, I have had that "what am I doing?" moment with games. Then I get over it & keep playing. Like Kyle, I also fling myself around in circles propelled by exploding dinosaurs; then do it over & over trying to get back to the same place as I started faster than last time. Heck, even Carl's example has gotten more absurd in the last couple of decades--now we aren't even chasing physical pieces of metal and paper, it's just bits of electrical charges that can all go poof in an instant. At least with boardgames, I got that little chunk of chewed up, ink-soaked tree or bit of plastic moved from one place to another on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fribian wrote:

So... I'm in my gaming room eagerly setting up a new game I want try out. Suddenly it hits me, the absurdity of it all. I chuckled to myself of the thought, and leaned back in my chair. I looked at all those games and pondered the thought for a moment or two. Does it ever occur to you just how absurd it is that we enjoy pushing pieces of cardboard and plastic around? Are we nuts? How about those solo gamers out there? It's just us and the dust bunnies playing in a pile of cardboard and plastic. Helllllo!

Then I leaned forward, kicked a dusty bunny out of the way, and began pushing pieces around again. It's really pretty cool that we can do this in a joyful way, and the fact that we like other people's "ideas" put together from materials.

Those guys are indeed nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fribian wrote:

I'm a pianist (for a living). When I was a younger boy, my piano instructor told me once that - when I play - I am literally just pressing/tapping segments of ivory and wood repeatedly, over & over & over & over. If it were not for the sonorous sounds coming out of the instrument, our fingers would probably bleed. It's the music that "distracts" us from the absurdity of what we are actually doing.

That pretty much blew my mind. Since then, I have become aware of the absurdities that some of us enjoy in our spare time. Manipulating cardboard and wooden bits seems like one of the more innocuous options.

To answer your question, no, I don't really think about it. But only because, on some level, I'm already aware of it. I have been thinking of these sorts of things for a long time now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Braden
United States
Goshen
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think about the absurdity of what we call, or try to call, normal life. We spend hours at a job doing whatever it is we do, to only acquire some form of money. But the minute you get this money, half of it goes to the government and then the rest goes to you in some form of paper/plastic. Then you push that money to feed yourself, feed your family, provide shelter, feed your addiction to games. And you do this, every day.

That is absurd! I'd love for the day to come when we get back to the bartering system. Perhaps then it would all then be meaningful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.