10 Posts

Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Just the two of us. How is it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C Waldo
msg tools
mbmbmb
We are seriously looking into this game but it is often just the two of us. Honestly, how is the game with two players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cbwaldo wrote:
We are seriously looking into this game but it is often just the two of us. Honestly, how is the game with two players?

Nowhere near as good with 3, which isn't as good as 4. 5 and 6 are better than 2 or 3 but I think 4 is the sweet spot. With two I'd rather play a game that's solely two-player or a game that focuses on a good two player experience (like Seasons for example).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Phipps
United States
Canal Winchester
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just received the game and have played it with 4. I'm not sure if I would like it with only 2 since you play with a variant. There are other games I would rather play as 2 player only.

If you haven't looked at the rules yet, the 2 player rules are on page 7.
Rules link is https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/70/f9...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bphipps wrote:
I'm not sure if I would like it with only 2 since you play with a variant. There are other games I would rather play as 2 player only.

It think that might be part of the reason why the Brunos also designed "Raptor" for 2 players: it's not an area control game (which is hard to design for 2 players) but it does use hand management and simultaneous action selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abhishek
United Kingdom
coventry
west midland
flag msg tools
mb
Recently played with gf. We both enjoyed the two player variant. It works pretty well and smooth. I was initially worried that dummy players might make it clunky but it turned out that was not the case, dummies add to strategic considerations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Anyone tried the variant of simply picking two roles each time. However playing the game with 3/4 ship setups. I can't stand dummy variants, it always feels like lazy design. Might as well say 3-6 on the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played two games with 2 players. All of our games are played 2 player so I was a bit worried when I purchased the game.

The first game we played was according to the 2 player variant in the rule book. It was okay, but I just wasn't satisfied with each of us playing 2 colors. It just felt too clunky or fiddly. I demand smoothness in games and I am probably more picky than most in that regard.

The second game we played we played with no variants at all. We each played one color and we only used 2 ships (which I was worried about initially.) Turns out the game was really fun! There was tension and competition and it didn't feel broken or lacking at all.

I was afraid the game was going to go to the trade pile after that first game, but after the second game, no way! This is going to go down as one of our favorite games. Rated it a 9. I am sure it is better with more than two, but for us it was a really good with just the two of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Burnett
Wales
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rogerramjet3361 wrote:
I have played two games with 2 players. All of our games are played 2 player so I was a bit worried when I purchased the game.

The first game we played was according to the 2 player variant in the rule book. It was okay, but I just wasn't satisfied with each of us playing 2 colors. It just felt too clunky or fiddly. I demand smoothness in games and I am probably more picky than most in that regard.

The second game we played we played with no variants at all. We each played one color and we only used 2 ships (which I was worried about initially.) Turns out the game was really fun! There was tension and competition and it didn't feel broken or lacking at all.

I was afraid the game was going to go to the trade pile after that first game, but after the second game, no way! This is going to go down as one of our favorite games. Rated it a 9. I am sure it is better with more than two, but for us it was a really good with just the two of us.

Wow. I really wish Bruno would comment on this. If what you are saying is correct (I believe you) then why add the variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if we're just easy to please but we definitely liked the game better with no variant. I am sure others will disagree and the designer must have thought the 2 player game with no variant was a bit lacking. We thought it was really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Clark
United Kingdom
swinton, manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Has anyone else tried just using the 2 rockets. This game looks amazing but the 2 player variant in the rule book doesn't appeal to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.