GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
9,487 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

BANG!» Forums » General

Subject: Why would the Outlaw ever shoot another Outlaw? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
john m
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are out to kill deputies (and maybe the renegade) and the sheriff, why would they ever shoot each other? Just for show? To throw off the other players into not knowing who has what roles? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sauberer
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyLikesGames wrote:
If they are out to kill deputies (and maybe the renegade) and the sheriff, why would they ever shoot each other? Just for show? To throw off the other players into not knowing who has what roles? Thanks.

If an outlaw is going to die anyway (e.g. is down to one life point and a deputy or renegade can reach him and kill him), a fellow outlaw might go ahead and finish him off to be able to get the cards that come with killing him. That would keep those cards out of the opponents' hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Outlaws need to kill the sheriff.

They might shoot other outlaws because they don't realize their victims are outlaws. Or early in the game - to try to get the sheriff to believe they are a deputy and not shot at a supposed ally.

Another reason - to reduce range.

For example, I have the Volcanic, but have another player (an outlaw) between me and the sheriff. I might kill the intervening outlaw (especially if that player were low on life) as it would then reduce the range between me and the Sheriff from 2 to 1. I could then use the Volcanic against the Sheriff to hopefully end the game with an outlaw win. (This assumes I have a lot of bangs I could play.)

A bit underhanded, but certainly a valid within game reason for one outlaw to kill another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Dam
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep both replies nail the answer.

Either to gain cards for a guy who is the walking dead in the current round anyway, not knowing, or bluff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keck
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say that by far the most common reason is simply by mistake, (as others have mentioned.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tyler
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time outlaw on outlaw gunfire occurs, it is simply a case of mistaken identity. Rare is the case where two players know each other are outlaws and elect to shoot at one another just for fun or to mislead the others. If they know they are outlaws, most likely so does everyone else. So wasting bullets in such a manner seems quite silly (except in those cases explained above to get cards or closer range if the other outlaw was about to die anyway).

Usually it is unwise for the outlaws to reveal themselves by shooting at the sheriff too early (unless one of the outlaws has an excellent chance to really weaken the sheriff). Much of the fun is guessing who is who until real solid evidence (such as shooting at the sheriff) is gathered.

Playing this game everyday at lunch we would get to know the others' tendencies such as renegades and deputies were much more likely to fire recklessly on anyone except the sheriff. Meanwhile the outlaws were more cautious for fear of firing on a fellow outlaw. But then players had to change their tendencies or else risk being targetted as an outlaw just for doing nothing aggressive on one's turn. Or risk be thought a deputy or renegade if you started firing away on turn one.

We had lots of subtle twists and turns after playing so many times. For example, one game as a deputy I decided to fire on the sheriff just to get the outlaws off my back. Luckily it worked out with the good guys winning but afterwards the sheriff was quite confused as to why I would do such a thing.

Lots of fun to be had with this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget: it's fun too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.