Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious. I see it can be ordered via Kickstarter and the Official Website. Not sure I want to nab it now, however, if it'll eventually trickle into local retail.

Have the developers made a public commentary on any of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the success of the Kickstarter, it seems likely, but there hasn't been any announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
There are Kickstarter exclusives, FYI
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With a game that has received this much funding, you can put your mortgage on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
With a game that has received this much funding, you can put your mortgage on it.

Be that as it may, It must be said that there are currently NO concrete plans for distribution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Be that as it may, It must be said that there are currently NO concrete plans for distribution.

They won't want to talk about it until the KS has ended as they make far more profit on KS sales (also scooping up the distributor and retailer profit margins and passing the shipping costs on to backers), but it's a nailed-on certainty. The fact that only the smaller SG's are KS exclusives is somewhat of a giveaway anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, any board game Kickstarter that hits a million USD or more is going to draw a lot of retail interest. Stores know that if that many people are willing to pay a year in advance for an unknown product, there will be demand once its in print. Plus, this many backers talking about it means lots of built-in advertising via word of mouth, particularly after the KS editions get delivered. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
WhelpSlayer wrote:
philmcd wrote:

They won't want to talk about it until the KS has ended as they make far more profit on KS sales (also scooping up the distributor and retailer profit margins and passing the shipping costs on to backers), but it's a nailed-on certainty. The fact that only the smaller SG's are KS exclusives is somewhat of a giveaway anyway.

Well actually its because there are NO plans for distribution at the moment, SP have purposefully not gone into that domain yet so as to concentrate fully on the KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
while I agree that it is probable
philmcd wrote:
... The fact that only the smaller SG's are KS exclusives is somewhat of a giveaway anyway.

that only shows that they are leaving themselves some options for a follow up retail start. I would keep the door open even if I was near certain that some kind of retail sales would never happen.

japester1 wrote:
Honestly, any board game Kickstarter that hits a million USD or more is going to draw a lot of retail interest. Stores know that if that many people are willing to pay a year in advance for an unknown product, there will be demand once its in print. ...

and that only shows we aren't able to keep a lid on our spending.

also, even if it is going to retail, that might happen considerably later than the end of the KS deliveries - another factor that might be worth considering.

WhelpSlayer wrote:

plans on paper would suffice, no need to pour them into concrete ...
.. sorry was still wearing my pun hat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WhelpSlayer wrote:
philmcd wrote:
WhelpSlayer wrote:
philmcd wrote:

Well actually its because there are NO plans for distribution at the moment, SP have purposefully not gone into that domain yet so as to concentrate fully on the KS.

Well actually, that's a naive comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb K.
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
WhelpSlayer wrote:
philmcd wrote:
WhelpSlayer wrote:
philmcd wrote:

He is the community manager for the 7th Continent Kickstarter so I would say his comment would be the opposite of naïve since he is the only one here who knows anything about what's actually going on and not just conjecturing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilgilad wrote:
philmcd wrote:
WhelpSlayer wrote:
philmcd wrote:
WhelpSlayer wrote:
philmcd wrote:

He is the community manager for the 7th Continent Kickstarter so I would say his comment would be the opposite of naïve since he is the only one here who knows anything about what's actually going on and not just conjecturing.

In which case I believe his comment to be disengenuous. He knows full well that this game will go to retail. Of course the decision won't officially be made until after the KS campaign is over, but does anyone seriously doubt the outcome? To suggest otherwise is naive no matter who it is.

I've backed the game at the top level and I'm not at all sorry about it. I just don't like 'politician speak'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb K.
United States
LaVergne
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is certainly likely that 7th Continent will go to retail and I don't think anyone here is arguing otherwise. Jaime never said it wouldn't go to retail, he just said that they didn't have a distributor lined up yet for a retail release so it isn't 100% certain yet (concrete) that it will be released at retail. How is that disingenuous if it is true? If he said that it will be at retail and then it doesn't, they would look bad and backers who didn't pledge waiting for retail would be upset. Better to say you don't know for sure if it isn't 100% sure so it doesn't come back to bite them later.

I suspect that they are waiting to see what the final total of the kickstarter project to be since it will give them more negotiating power with any distribution partner they deal with. At least that is what I would do in their position as a small company. Why would they strike a deal before they are ready? Just so they can justify themselves in a forum thread to some random poster accusing them of being disingenuous?

For all we know, they might not like how the distributor deals with them and instead decide to not go the traditional retail route and just do another kickstarter project when they need to do another print run. It could potentially give greater profit margins and is built-in advertising to boot. They are leaving that option open it appears and being transparent about it by saying they don't know yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh well, I went for backing the Kickstarter. Part of me feels dirty, as I'm loath to spend $100 on a game likely a year out. That said, I've got a few expansions which will give the needed variety a game like this lives on, and all the Kickstarter exclusive stuff too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gilgilad wrote:
I think it is certainly likely that 7th Continent will go to retail and I don't think anyone here is arguing otherwise. Jaime never said it wouldn't go to retail, he just said that they didn't have a distributor lined up yet for a retail release so it isn't 100% certain yet (concrete) that it will be released at retail. How is that disingenuous if it is true?

I guess anything that doesn't match what he wants to hear is "disingenuous".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Gilgilad wrote:
I think it is certainly likely that 7th Continent will go to retail and I don't think anyone here is arguing otherwise. Jaime never said it wouldn't go to retail, he just said that they didn't have a distributor lined up yet for a retail release so it isn't 100% certain yet (concrete) that it will be released at retail. How is that disingenuous if it is true?

I guess anything that doesn't match what he wants to hear is "disingenuous".

Coming from you that is hilarious, King Troll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Antagonistic, insulting, or otherwise disruptive comments ARE NOT welcome here.

Please use the icon when you see disruptive or antagonistic comments or any other violations of the Community Rules. This serves two purposes:

1- using the icon will bring that post to the attention of forum moderators so they can deal with it appropriately. We prefer that you not respond to the post directly. Responding invites the offender to continue, and if you respond aggressively you may end up dragging yourself down with the offender.

2- if enough users flag a post using the icon then that post will be hidden from general view, preventing others from being exposed to it.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
#ClydeStirsThePot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Johnson
France
Nancy
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmb
philmcd wrote:

In which case I believe his comment to be disengenuous. He knows full well that this game will go to retail. Of course the decision won't officially be made until after the KS campaign is over, but does anyone seriously doubt the outcome? To suggest otherwise is naive no matter who it is.

I've backed the game at the top level and I'm not at all sorry about it. I just don't like 'politician speak'.

Ok then, in that case, let me spin you a tale.

The chances are that this game will see a commercial release. Given the success of the project, to deny that really would be disingenuous.

HOWEVER

Let's say that, as the CM, I confirm, here and now, that the game will get a retail release. As it's coming from me it's about as official as you can get.

Now imagine that, for whatever reason, SP decides not to release it in stores. They can’t come to an agreement with distributors or there isn’t enough demand (having already sold nearly 10k boxes on KS).

All of a sudden, people that didn’t back, confident in what “I” said that they’d be able to pick up the game at a later date, can’t get it. They will have missed out on a great game and never be able to get a copy except maybe on ebay or the like.

I pass for a bad CM and SP as a company that doesn’t keep its promises. This is not a risk I am willing to take. I have always told my communities that they will only get the truth from me, and this is it: There really are NO plans for retail distribution. When there is, I will let you know. Until that happens though, I will not change my tune.

I hope that clears things up for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the fact they explicitly labeled some content as Kickstarter Exclusives is a powerful argument that they have retail in mind. Otherwise, wouldn't it all be KS Exclusive?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
I guess the fact they explicitly labeled some content as Kickstarter Exclusives is a powerful argument that they have retail in mind. Otherwise, wouldn't it all be KS Exclusive?

There is a difference between 'wanting the game to go to retail' and 'having plans to go to retail'. Bruno said in one of the tric trac videos before the campaign that in case of a sucessful KS he would like to go the retail version. But it still looks like it's not 100% certain it'll happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael c
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be curious how many retail outlets have backed the KS. For example, isn't it entirely possible that Coolstuff will have copies available even if SP doesn't work out a retail distribution agreement?

I'm also curious what the game would actually sell for were it to hit retail distribution. I suppose that even if it were to end up less expensive, the number of KS exclusives would probably more than make up for the price difference. With that in mind, I'm more than happy to back the campaign, though it is awfully rich for my blood, so hopefully the game ends up being worth the price tag.

The only thing that I really struggle with, though, are those gameplay addons. I really wish there was something to be done about the prices on those. I mean, the explorer pledge is about $100. those 3 gameplay addons add a total of 100 cards plus a few minis and standees. Combined, they cost about $46, almost half the total cost of 1200+ cards and all the other components of the base game and 3 expansions. If I could get those 3 addons for about $25, it'd be a no-brainer for me, but $46 for those items feels almost predatory - preying on those poor fools who can't help but get everything, especially when there is no guarantee that these items will see retail distribution even if the base game eventually does. I'm backing the game, and I may even add these items, but the handling of those addons really ticks me off. A lot of people, once they are hooked on something, have a hard time resisting more content even if the price is ridiculously high, and it feels as though they are banking on that - taking advantage of compulsive-oriented backers. And yeah, I realize no one is required to buy these addons, that they don't add that much to the game, if you don't want to get them, don't get them, blah, blah, blah...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
megamawax wrote:
I mean, the explorer pledge is about $100. those 3 gameplay addons add a total of 100 cards plus a few minis and standees. Combined, they cost about $46, almost half the total cost of 1200+ cards and all the other components of the base game and 3 expansions. If I could get those 3 addons for about $25, it'd be a no-brainer for me, but $46 for those items feels almost predatory - preying on those poor fools who can't help but get everything, especially when there is no guarantee that these items will see retail distribution even if the base game eventually does.

I doubt anything will really change your mind, but here are some ideas you might consider:

- You could think of the base game as discounted, rather than the add-ons as overpriced.

- A significant part of the costs are fixed costs, not variable costs (e.g., the art for all of those extra cards).

- Some people are more price sensitive and some people are less price sensitive. Offering multiple price levels is a way to accommodate people in different circumstances.

A principle that I think often serves one well is "assume good intentions". If people do something you don't personally care for, and your natural reaction is to assume they are fiends, you will just spend a large part of your life in a negative attitude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael c
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
megamawax wrote:
I mean, the explorer pledge is about $100. those 3 gameplay addons add a total of 100 cards plus a few minis and standees. Combined, they cost about $46, almost half the total cost of 1200+ cards and all the other components of the base game and 3 expansions. If I could get those 3 addons for about $25, it'd be a no-brainer for me, but $46 for those items feels almost predatory - preying on those poor fools who can't help but get everything, especially when there is no guarantee that these items will see retail distribution even if the base game eventually does.

I doubt anything will really change your mind, but here are some ideas you might consider:

- You could think of the base game as discounted, rather than the add-ons as overpriced.

- A significant part of the costs are fixed costs, not variable costs (e.g., the art for all of those extra cards).

- Some people are more price sensitive and some people are less price sensitive. Offering multiple price levels is a way to accommodate people in different circumstances.

A principle that I think often serves one well is "assume good intentions". If people do something you don't personally care for, and your natural reaction is to assume they are fiends, you will just spend a large part of your life in a negative attitude.

You are correct in that these points don't really change my mind.

First, the base game doesn't seem particularly discounted, though I don't think it's overpriced. $100 plus shipping is a lot for a card game, but 1200+ cards is a lot of cards.

Second, they can afford to do art on 1200+ cards and sell the game for $100 plus shipping. It's difficult to imagine that they couldn't have figured out a way to do art on 100 cards and sell them for less than $46.

Third, I am all for different pricing tiers. They have a base pledge level and a pledge level for the base game plus 3 expansions. They couldn't have done another tier that included the gameplay add-ons? Maybe another tier for those that want everything, including the accessory add-ons? So yes, I completely agree that some people are more price sensitive than others and that offering multiple price levels would accommodate more people. I just don't think they really took advantage of that.

I spend very little of my life with a negative attitude, so I'm probably doing something right. And for the record, I don't think they are fiends. Nice, wonderful people make choices and do things all the time that don't sit well with other people. I'm a nice, wonderful person, and I've no doubt pissed people off on occasion, and without any fiendish intentions too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
megamawax wrote:
Third, I am all for different pricing tiers. They have a base pledge level and a pledge level for the base game plus 3 expansions. They couldn't have done another tier that included the gameplay add-ons?

How is that any different from what they have and you are complaining about? The thing you are asking for seems identical to the thing you are complaining about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.