Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
73 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: 7th Continent Print and Play Spoilers - Seriously don't come in until you've played it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Last chance to turn back.

CATCH FOUR TIMES ONE TURTLE - bad translation or hysterical writing? You decide!

Ok, so we played through the 2-card island (boo) and built a raft and sailed from the East Coast to arrival point #1.

Wait...ARRIVAL POINT #1? I thought there was only one starting point!?!

Once we finished, we hadn't seen a lot of cards. So I checked the two island cards for the fourth time and finally saw the 008 hidden on the 001 card. Sigh. I blame my printer! Sigh. Ok, I guess even knowing there were hidden numbers I STILL didn't look hard enough.

So 008 leads to all the 017s. Hysterical that the gold 017 is actually bad. That'll teach people not to always press their luck.

But I still haven't figured out how to get card 016. The first turtle card has a "success" of card 004 telling you that the turtle ran off. And an alternate option of continuing on your walk. Part of me feels like 016 should be the success and 004 should be the fail, but I'm really hoping I'm missing something epic.

Does anyone want to tell me what I'm missing?

Overall - I'm super excited. Even with the extremely tiny 2-card island where I got the worst of 3 random events and the worst of the 2 prayer cards at the idol, just imagining some of the tricks that could be done in this format has me drooling. I really can't imagine anyone playing this and not being convinced unless they completely ignore the first page of the file listing all of the things absent from this demo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CATCH FOUR TIMES ONE TURTLE is a riddle - what do you get if you multiply trying to catch a turtle by 4?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The paragraph for catching a turtle is 004 - times 4 is 016 - ooh, this is another way of hiding a number on a card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:
CATCH FOUR TIMES ONE TURTLE is a riddle - what do you get if you multiply trying to catch a turtle by 4?
The paragraph for catching a turtle is 004 - times 4 is 016 - ooh, this is another way of hiding a number on a card!

Okay fine.. did you figure that out on your own during gameplay or after you realized you had never seen card 16?

This is interesting and I love the idea, but I'm not sure I agree with the execution. I feel the in-game note shouldn't refer to meta-game card numbering. I also don't know if I would have felt comfortable looking at card 16 based on guessing that 4 x card 004 = card 016.

I feel like maybe the card needs to refer to HOW to catch a turtle or tweak the wording somehow to make me sure I'm looking at the card legally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abredon wrote:

Really? That's how it works? That's not how it reads in the rules... When your spot a hidden number, you have to replace that terrain card with the card bearing that number. So are you supposed to assume that you are replacing the graveyard card with 016? Something seems off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had figured out the puzzle, but was confused how to actually draw the card. Perhaps this really is another example of a 'hidden number'. The rules for hidden numbers do say they can appear on event cards, after all, and it does not specifically indicate that they can only be images of numbers, so a puzzle leading to a number could solve it.

Still, I'm not sure I like how the mechanic works. The solution here is slightly cryptic and there is no real guarantee that you are correct. What if you mistake some random text for a cryptic clue and assume it's giving you a hidden number? How do you know that you were correct?

I kind of wish that cards that were only meant to be arrived at via a hidden number were marked as such somehow. That way, when you hit one, you would know you were correct or not. For example, they could have an icon indicating that if you didn't come from card XXX you should discard the new card and suffer a listed state penalty; and a general rule that if you are trying to follow a hidden number and hit a card without such an indication, you have to take some other state penalty (and try to ignore the new card so you don't spoil a later point in the game).

Otherwise, I can't see how you can tell the difference between correctly skipping to a particularly cryptic hidden number, or just cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal
Switzerland
Lausanne
flag msg tools
badge
Lightning Plasma !
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact they gave some clue and it's possible to know that there is a hidden number:
- first you get the clue "catch 4 turtle". fine
- then when you arrive on card 003, they give you 2 choices. 1) to catch a turtle 2)to go away and banish card 003 and take card 013
- if you follow the clue, you will then perform the action "catch the turtle", the turtle will run away and then..... nothing (this is what confused me) what should i do know ?i could do the action 4 times but i know it wouldn't do anything so there MUST be something else, but I admit it was tricky.

By the way If you fail a clue then put back the card where it was (no big deal). I think it will be quite obvious you took the wrong card.

What I learned with this PNP:
- random event can be good or bad, this will influence how you evolve in the game. So the replayability looks nice although you know where you have to go. Moreover we have seen that there was 2 way to gout of this island !!!
- Although you know there is hidden number, you can miss them
- even tough there are many icons, the game run quite smoothly. I would still recommend to have a "quick reference sheet" or have the rule well structured to find the info
- I could not hunt
- i like how the state effect work they are between "should i remove the state effect card" and "nahhhh that's ok i will be fine"
- i like how you "don't know what to do now, let's try this and see what happen". You really feel alone on this island and really feel you need to survive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Not sure how I feel about breaking the 4th wall as part of a clue. That and the clue is not very good in my eyes, even knowing the solution now I don't really see a strong connection between the clue and the number of the turtle card.
Maybe if the note said "We tried to catch the turtle a few times to no avail, perhaps one more attempt would have yielded success but time was not on our side".

I don't know, it's early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AnimalMkIV wrote:
The clue isn't broken. As the previous poster said, the clue says catch 4 turtles, you find that the turtle runs away (004) when you try to catch it, there are no other turtles and you can't turn the car over 4 times so 4x004 makes sense.

This game comes across as very old school to me. If you are old enough to have played the old computer adventures from the likes of Scott Adams and Sierra as well as the old FF books, then this kind of puzzle isn't too much of a stretch of logic.

The problem is that in a computer game the computer enforces the rules, so if you try to look at 016 because you convince yourself you found a cryptic clue to that effect, the computer tells you whether you can or can't.

In this game, there will be lots of cases where everyone convinces themselves that they found a cryptic clue, that isn't actually intended. So the game should have some rules that help you do the right thing when you turn to a card that you weren't supposed to reach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Mirfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aior wrote:
Moreover we have seen that there was 2 way to gout of this island !!!

You guys know there's three ways off right?

I ended up headed towards landing point 3...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Magno Rosa
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
AnimalMkIV wrote:
The clue isn't broken. As the previous poster said, the clue says catch 4 turtles, you find that the turtle runs away (004) when you try to catch it, there are no other turtles and you can't turn the car over 4 times so 4x004 makes sense.

This game comes across as very old school to me. If you are old enough to have played the old computer adventures from the likes of Scott Adams and Sierra as well as the old FF books, then this kind of puzzle isn't too much of a stretch of logic.

The problem is that in a computer game the computer enforces the rules, so if you try to look at 016 because you convince yourself you found a cryptic clue to that effect, the computer tells you whether you can or can't.

In this game, there will be lots of cases where everyone convinces themselves that they found a cryptic clue, that isn't actually intended. So the game should have some rules that help you do the right thing when you turn to a card that you weren't supposed to reach.

This. How would I know the 016 guess is the correct one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
[q="AnimalMkIV"]

I had eluded to this in the KS comments, you would not believe the connections people can make without guidelines. "Hey, this card has five leaves on this tree, three on that one, and a stump. I bet I can pull card 530!"

I've participated in a few online riddles such as Enigma and man, can people make connections that just are not there (although once they explain the reasoning it makes perfect sense).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wayne LaBanca wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
[q="AnimalMkIV"]

I had eluded to this in the KS comments, you would not believe the connections people can make without guidelines. "Hey, this card has five leaves on this tree, three on that one, and a stump. I bet I can pull card 530!"

I've participated in a few online riddles such as Enigma and man, can people make connections that just are not there (although once they explain the reasoning it makes perfect sense).

You just mentioned "Enigma." I sent a message regarding this puzzle to Bruno on kickstarter, and he also mentioned "enigma." What is this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
You just mentioned "Enigma." I sent a message regarding this puzzle to Bruno on kickstarter, and he also mentioned "enigma." What is this?

Type "enigma puzzle" into Google.

http://enigmapuzzle.fizzlebot.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
jayelbird wrote:

Type "enigma puzzle" into Google.

http://enigmapuzzle.fizzlebot.com/

And if you value your sanity, don't. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I kind of wish that cards that were only meant to be arrived at via a hidden number were marked as such somehow. That way, when you hit one, you would know you were correct or not.
This x 1,000,000.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:

Do tell. what was Bruno's reference to Enigma!? robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our game went pretty much the same (left by raft, looking for hidden number, puzzling over 016 until "I think I got it, but you're not going to like it...").
Anyway, we enjoyed it, but there are some little things I'd like to point out.

There are permanent events (with golden arrows pointing to "parent" terrain) and temporary events (with hourglass).
But 017 (golden) has both of these icons, is it a typo? (like locked <1> with '+' on 006)

Also to make sure: When you pray at the idol, you put 009 into play and draw one of 014s, there is no way to take the pray action again right?

Irish Whiskey - no use at all (has it?), we considered it sort of a joke/teaser card (referencing out-of-the-scope cards, zones and states).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dill wrote:
There are permanent events (with golden arrows pointing to "parent" terrain) and temporary events (with hourglass).
But 017 (golden) has both of these icons, is it a typo? (like locked <1> with '+' on 006)

I assume. The only question is: Which is it supposed to be?

dill wrote:
Also to make sure: When you pray at the idol, you put 009 into play and draw one of 014s, there is no way to take the pray action again right?

Irish Whiskey - no use at all (has it?), we considered it sort of a joke/teaser card (referencing out-of-the-scope cards, zones and states).

I assumed that for the idol, you can take the pray action multiple times, just like you can search the area in 008 multiple times.

And for whiskey, it certainly appears to be a teaser card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bennett
msg tools
jayelbird wrote:
dill wrote:

I assume. The only question is: Which is it supposed to be?

dill wrote:

I assumed that for the idol, you can take the pray action multiple times, just like you can search the area in 008 multiple times.

And for whiskey, it certainly appears to be a teaser card.

I think that you can only pray at the idol once. The rules say when you have an arrow, like on 009, that points at the terrain card that you can't use the action type that is displayed on the arrow any more. And the effect on 009 only happens when it first comes into play, so I think you only get one of the 014s.

Whiskey looks like a teaser. I don't even think there's any items that you can use it with to get an extra use. Looks cool though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Grimond
France
flag msg tools
Hey guys.

In the Pnp i'm pretty sure i kept dying though, or am i doign something wrong ? Everytime i try to do the rafting action (must draw 4 cards) i usually draw from the discard pile (since no cards left in the action pile) and i kept drawing the purple curse meaning i die right ? ^^'

Is it all lucked based or am i missing something ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
black dog
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you miss something that allows you to draw less cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are rafting out, you might want to try eating some food prior to escaping the islet so that you can replenish some of your action deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine Grimond
France
flag msg tools
yves_bgg wrote:

Ahah no i do draw less but there are so little cards in the deck that between the 3 i have in my hands the 5 for the raft and the 6 for the action to leave it's a lot

Indeed i didn't eat food though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zyg101 wrote:
yves_bgg wrote:

Ahah no i do draw less but there are so little cards in the deck that between the 3 i have in my hands the 5 for the raft and the 6 for the action to leave it's a lot

You didn't discover the wood that let's you take 3 cards less for building the raft?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Irgendwer wrote:
Zyg101 wrote:
yves_bgg wrote:

You didn't discover the wood that let's you take 3 cards less for building the raft?

But if you looked through the graveyard and found the note doesn't that make the card with the wood on it disappear?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.