Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter Exclusive Pack rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this pack really kickstarter exclusive? Meaning that none of these components will be sold at retail?

Also, there seems to be a lot of duplicate core game enemy miniatures in the pack, what are these extras for? Are they needed for the base game missions or are they just extra miniatures for creating your own quests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
You're mis-reading.

The extra minis are all duplicates in a different color except for the big flesh-golem looking thing. Other than him, you will get the rest of the minis in the base game in grey, but this extra pack of tan minis is KS exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The starter games might have you fighting 2 Gargoyles - hence two miniatures.

In your own design games you may want 4 Gargoyles - so you might want to buy another 2.. in the Kick starter one option is to buy another set of the "starter" monsters to get those additional figures ($40 add-on) or go with a higher pledge (eg deluxe rather than base) which comes with those additional figures and other stuff.
(That or you use two other figures and pretend that they are gargoyles and save yourself some $)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the KS exclusive set not going to be sold later?

I would be surprised if the figures wouldn't be sold after release seperately - but they may cost more.... or the after KS game might only come with some figures but just the tokens for the Affliction models.

Short answer - I don't know zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
stevelabny wrote:
You're mis-reading.

The extra minis are all duplicates in a different color except for the big flesh-golem looking thing. Other than him, you will get the rest of the minis in the base game in grey, but this extra pack of tan minis is KS exclusive.

They are actually the same colour. This is not the tan pack but the kickstarter extra box.

What is exclusive is:
1. The golem IS a kickstarter exclusive;
2. The retail box won't contain this extra minis pack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:

They are actually the same colour. This is not the tan pack but the kickstarter extra box.

What is exclusive is:

Will the retail box contain all of the stretch goals? Or will they all be available for purchase separately?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trakes wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

What is exclusive is:

Will the retail box contain all of the stretch goals? Or will they all be available for purchase separately?

If what's on the KS page is correct, the core box will only contain the 6 starter heroes and 8 kinds of monsters. I bet the core box will be priced below the $95 pricetag of the KS pledge.

What the "Kickstarter Exclusive Pack" is concerned, it won't be in the retail "core" box. But as none of the contents (except the Golem) is kickstarter exclusive, all will be available post-KS. All the extra heroes and monsters and ghost forms will be available seperately or in expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
trakes wrote:
Teowulff wrote:

What is exclusive is:

If what's on the KS page is correct, the core box will only contain the 6 starter heroes and 8 kinds of monsters. I bet the core box will be priced below the $95 pricetag of the KS pledge.

What the "Kickstarter Exclusive Pack" is concerned, it won't be in the retail "core" box. But as none of the contents (except the Golem) is kickstarter exclusive, all will be available post-KS. All the extra heroes and monsters and ghost forms will be available seperately or in expansions.

I wouldn't expect them to rewrite the entire story book for the retail core vs. the KS core. If that assumption is correct, it means one of two things:

1. At least some (possibly most) of the KS stretch goal content will also be in the retail version.
2. None of the KS stretch goal creatures (or maps) will actually be used in the core KS game.

I think #2 could create quite a stir. ("Hey, we reached all these stretch goals but they aren't even used! Now I've got a bunch of worthless content. What's up with that?") And making a new storyline just for retail wouldn't be cost-effective. That makes me think that at least some of the new creatures and map tiles (maybe not the new characters, but the creatures and maps) will be integrated into the core retail game. There is also the new story stretch goal, but I don't see that using only the stretch goal creatures and maps, and those new things need to be used somewhere.

I haven't been following all the KS comments like I believe Teowulff has, and my assumptions are just based on what I personally feel would be the best business decisions, so I could be way off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I wouldn't expect them to rewrite the entire story book for the retail core vs. the KS core. If that assumption is correct, it means one of two things:

1. At least some (possibly most) of the KS stretch goal content will also be in the retail version.
2. None of the KS stretch goal creatures (or maps) will actually be used in the core KS game.

I think #2 could create quite a stir. ("Hey, we reached all these stretch goals but they aren't even used! Now I've got a bunch of worthless content. What's up with that?") And making a new storyline just for retail wouldn't be cost-effective. That makes me think that at least some of the new creatures and map tiles (maybe not the new characters, but the creatures and maps) will be integrated into the core retail game. There is also the new story stretch goal, but I don't see that using only the stretch goal creatures and maps, and those new things need to be used somewhere.

I haven't been following all the KS comments like I believe Teowulff has, and my assumptions are just based on what I personally feel would be the best business decisions, so I could be way off.

Well as far as I know:
a. monsters not included in the retail box (or lower pledge levels) will be represented by tokens if you do not have the mini;
b. Some add-ons or expansion content come with their own storybook. So once you have the monster, you also have the book where it is actually used.
I guess the retail expansion boxes will work the same way. An expansion will probably contain some new monsters, a few storybooks and new tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny how these KS work on me emotionally.
When it started I though:
Wow this looks great. Perhaps I'm going to jump in although I already have a LOT of Adventure-Games (and I want Runebound 3rd Ed.)
When I just checked in again on this KS, there are now so many gameplay-related Add-Ons, that I know I'm not going in to this. It's just to expensive for just another game like this (for me anyways).
I know with the basic pledge you get a full game but the feeling that you are missing out on something will remain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:
Wow this looks great. Perhaps I'm going to jump in although I already have a LOT of Adventure-Games (and I want Runebound 3rd Ed.)
When I just checked in again on this KS, there are now so many gameplay-related Add-Ons, that I know I'm not going in to this. It's just to expensive for just another game like this (for me anyways).
I know with the basic pledge you get a full game but the feeling that you are missing out on something will remain.

I feel your pain, but as long as the addons aren't exclusive you can come back later and swipe em up if you decide you like the game (and I like the way GBG does their exclusives: you *can* get them later if you jump through the right hoops -- paying extra on shipping by having to go through BGG store or some other means).

It seems most KS projects are leaning towards a heavy selection of addons nowadays though. But I've actually kind of warmed up to it. I love the idea of even more content being created for our games than might otherwise have been.

Just don't make them exclusive, is my thing. Or you're willingly feeding into that whole completionist streak that runs through many of us, and that just feels dirty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cuthailion wrote:

I find this somehow recognizable. There is a budget that I want to reserve for KS games and I am somewhat cautious because you basically don't know how the game is going to play. Unless there are dozens of gameplay vids and reviews. Investing $300+shipping+add-ons into some game that may disappoint is a serious risk. And I'm not that fabulously rich.

So then there is always the option of not going "all in". Where arises the second dilemma: a lot of extras come in packs of multiple items, some of which I don't want/need.

Example 1: The $149 plegde. Even if it is a great deal to get those add-ons worth $85 ($25+$40+$10+$10) for $55, the only thing that I really want and see necessary for the game are the ghost minis ($25 add-on). The extra tan minis are nice but no real addition to the game. And I don't want/need those the pads - if they had added one pack of (festival/crafting) cards instead that would at least have given extra real game content.

Example 2: the Terrain Pack. I already have an abundance of dungeon furniture so paying $25 for 4 scarecrows and a book is really out of the question.
While I would definitely love to have those scarecrows and book.

Example 3: Demons & Dark Artifacts add-on. This add-on revolves around a huge Demon Lord mini that is a copy of the one you get in the Middara KS. Which I happen to back.
So in fact it will cost me $20 to get a few cards and a story since I will already have the mini. Why not offer the add-on without the mini at a discount to Middara backers?

These kind of things really make me lower my pledge rather than increase it. Up to the point that I may just go for the minis and that's it, since I can't get the whole package without having to pay for a lot of completely unnecessary extras I already have or don't want/need. Which sometimes annoys me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
Teowulff wrote:
Investing $300+shipping+add-ons into some game that may disappoint is a serious risk. And I'm not that fabulously rich.

The $299 level includes shipping. If you are thinking of going all-in, it makes it a reasonable value (and a big value to those people outside NA & EU).

Quote:
So then there is always the option of not going "all in". Where arises the second dilemma: a lot of extras come in packs of multiple items, some of which I don't want/need.

The publisher has to group add-ons in a way that makes sense for most people. If they break everything up into small individual add-ons it is more expensive for them to sort and package, and it makes the project feel large and unwieldy with lots of extra little $5 add-ons that can lead to people not backing (like Cuthalion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-GoRdoN-
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbrua wrote:
Teowulff wrote:
Investing $300+shipping+add-ons into some game that may disappoint is a serious risk. And I'm not that fabulously rich.

The $299 level includes shipping. If you are thinking of going all-in, it makes it a reasonable value (and a big value to those people outside NA & EU).

Quote:

The publisher has to group add-ons in a way that makes sense for most people. If they break everything up into small individual add-ons it is more expensive for them to sort and package, and it makes the project feel large and unwieldy with lots of extra little $5 add-ons that can lead to people not backing (like Cuthalion).

Wow thanks for mentioning the "free shipping" part! I was on the fence about this KS but reading through the sample story book as well as the rule book definitely peaked my interest (the sample story journal was awesome!). One thing remained was that shipping to where i live is asia is going to cost me $60+ which, on top of a $300 un-reviewed game, sounded ridiculous.

But with free world-wide shipping however...

Yeah i'm in xD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way: the tanned add-on version ($40) says it's an alternate colour of the kickstrater exclusive pack - but it seems to have 6 extra minis: if you look at the pic (of the "tanned" box) the 6 starter heroes seem to be included as well.

The maths: if you calculate what the $149 pledge has in addition to the $95 pledge, the difference is 132 - 70 = 62 minis. 11 are ghost forms (6 basic + 4 SG heroes + 1 wraith), 29 are tanned extra minis from the stretch goals. So that leaves 22 minis that are the base content of the "exclusive box". But in the picture (under "You also get") there are 16 minis shown, leaving us with 6 minis, which might be the 6 heros from the base box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone asked if the Stretch Goals are exclusive here, but no one answered and I have the same question.

So.

1. Are the SG's lumped into the KS Exclusive pack? Visually it is, but I do not know if that is intentional.

2. If answer to 1 is "no", will the SG's be included in the Retail Box?

Hopefully someone can ask the project team from confirmation on KS for this

TIA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
flowercita wrote:
Someone asked if the Stretch Goals are exclusive here, but no one answered and I have the same question.

So.

1. Are the SG's lumped into the KS Exclusive pack? Visually it is, but I do not know if that is intentional.

2. If answer to 1 is "no", will the SG's be included in the Retail Box?

Hopefully someone can ask the project team from confirmation on KS for this

TIA

Here's my take: all of the stretch goals are in the KS exclusive pack. The KS exclusive pack itself will not be available after this - this means those additions will not be in the core box.

However, only the golem and the colossal dark oak are KS exclusive. The rest will probably be repackaged for retail in some manner.

I would also guess that the core game either never references the additional material or (as was mentioned with the golem and/or tree figure) a token is provided to use them.

Several of the stretch goals include additional stories. I expect that those stories use the stretch goals. (I actually expect that sets of the individual stretch goals will be wrapped together in some fashion to form various retail packs.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think several of the stretch goals will be included in the retail base box. Then the others will be packaged and sold as expansions.

It's hard to know which ones will be included, I'm not even sure Green Briar knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hayden (GBG)
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kickstarter Exclusive pack is simply a pack of content that is bundled together for Kickstarter backers. That bundle of everything will not be available in retail. We have not finalized our plans at this point in regards to what will be in retail and what will not. However, anything that does not have a Kickstater Exclusive logo underneath it (currently only the Abomination and Colossal Dark Oak) could be in retail in some form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.