Hide
8 Posts

Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » Variants

Subject: Pandemic Legacy for 5 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay G
msg tools
So I was wondering if anyone had tried Legacy using all 5 characters? Obviously it will be a bit harder as the cards will be more dispersed, but is it a game-breaking experience? Anyone who's played the game and has thoughts or experiences would be welcome.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dursch
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are actually starting tonight and I'm considering having 5 players.

If we end up doing this, I will come back with a report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Herman
United States
Sussex
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the right game end upgrades after the first game player dispersion shouldn't be an issue (might make it too easy). I would also like to know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dursch
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ended up just playing with 4 as intended. Out extra players sat out, helpless to do anything against the ever-expanding diseases.

After thinking about it and discussing it more, we didn't think it would work to have that 5th player. We have already had multiple games that came down to the very last card, and having the cards dispersed across an extra person would make it more difficult than we wanted to deal with.

That being said, 4 players has been great fun so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Liebert
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to spoil too much, but I will say that there are mechanical reasons not to play your first game with all 5 characters. There is at lest one reason the box says 2-4 players and you should probably stick with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just from basic familiarity with games of the same general type, there's a general principle that the game is harder with more players - okay, you can spread out across the map and have an excellent chance of having a player in the perfect location to respond to a given crisis, but there's also an increased chance of the crisis needing to be addressed before their next turn. Also, anything that takes more than one turn to do either takes longer because you have more turns before that player can continue, or requires more than one player to combine efforts anyway.

The real killer for an increased player count is resource dilution - with set-collection being a key mechanic for the game, having the same number of sets spread among more players means more co-ordination is needed in order to gather those sets together.

There are also spoilers that will penalise having played all 5 characters in your first game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goodnuff
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dragonbear82 wrote:
Not to spoil too much, but I will say that there are mechanical reasons not to play your first game with all 5 characters. There is at lest one reason the box says 2-4 players and you should probably stick with that.

^^^ This!

Also, there's no need...play 4 characters and have 2 people team up or alternately just have a group discussion and have all 5 people play all 4 characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragonbear82 wrote:

While that is true, you could house rule to get around it. For example:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
When you discover the relationships stickers, you can simply choose two characters who were in the previous game to have a relationship. You're not restricted to giving the relationship to a previously unused character, but as several people have mentioned, the game will already be more challenging with 5, so a bit of an advantage won't ruin things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.