Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Those of you who use the rulebook alot.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be all of you coming in. Anyway, here's a friendly reminder for those of you who have been out of school for too long. You can chop off the spine of the rulebook and spiral bind it. Alot easier to flip and remain on the same page. Protects the cover of the book if you bind it with a plastic cover. No more worrying about bending your book. What's even better is that the art remains safe.



12 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Dino Studio
United States
Sudbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
RAWR!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been wanting to do this, but at the same time I am afraid. Last time I got something laminated they totally botched it and I had to throw it out. If someone messed up the rulebook, I think I would cry.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not_a_cylon wrote:
I've been wanting to do this, but at the same time I am afraid. Last time I got something laminated they totally botched it and I had to throw it out. If someone messed up the rulebook, I think I would cry.


you have no idea. I was eyeing them full on.

edit: laminating is kinda different. anyway just tell them to cut as close to the bind as possible and watch over them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Pretty awesome. I wish more games would come with a spiral bind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
malkaven wrote:
Pretty awesome. I wish more games would come with a spiral bind.


doesn't come with it. you have to get it done.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better...

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Spiral binding the rule book is such a good idea! I'll have to get that done once I get my copy in. Thanks for the suggestion!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Where would you even go to get this done? Is this a Staples sort of thing? I think it's an absolutely fantastic idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Banemorth wrote:
Where would you even go to get this done? Is this a Staples sort of thing? I think it's an absolutely fantastic idea.

As a former Kinko's employee... FedEx Office can do it for you.

I've been *this close* to doing this since I got my copy, but just can't bring myself to mutilate original game components. I have to do it, though... The book is getting a lot of use.

Additional suggestion: You can ask them to include clear plastic covers for the front and back as well. Just for a little extra protection.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone actually had pages fall out yet? My book glue looks pretty decent but there a few, small bubbles without glue that I can see. I'm not sure I will do anything with a new binding unless pages start falling out.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin P
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you Joshua

No pages are out yet dorktron but the glue cracks every time I turn the pages. It's only a matter of time and I figure this is a great way to head it off and preserve the book. I don't think of it so much as mutilating the game contents and preserving them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
I've been still debating the spiral thing.

Because of how it's bound it's actually very unlikely any pages will fall out anytime soon. If they do they will fall out in little booklets rather than single pages.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
I've been still debating the spiral thing.

Because of how it's bound it's actually very unlikely any pages will fall out anytime soon. If they do they will fall out in little booklets rather than single pages.


Honestly, I decided on a spiral bound because it'll be a lot easier to handle. Especially when you need to be on a particular page to check stuff. A flat surface makes it a lot easier to read as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I think it's a shame that there is no PDF available for buyers (although I understand the reasons).
Usually, I don't use original rulebooks, I use the pdf versions instead because after several uses, the original rulebooks are a mess.
With that kind of expensive game it's almost a crime not to have a proxy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Whats the scoop on a pdf version of the rules? no go? Once I get my copy I'm probably going to get it spiral bound. However, I'd keep the rule book in pristine condition if I had a PDF version that I could use instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
malkaven wrote:
Whats the scoop on a pdf version of the rules? no go? Once I get my copy I'm probably going to get it spiral bound. However, I'd keep the rule book in pristine condition if I had a PDF version that I could use instead.


In the past it was never, but he recently said he'd give it some more thought after fulfillment was done with no promises.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
malkaven wrote:
Whats the scoop on a pdf version of the rules? no go? Once I get my copy I'm probably going to get it spiral bound. However, I'd keep the rule book in pristine condition if I had a PDF version that I could use instead.


In the past it was never, but he recently said he'd give it some more thought after fulfillment was done with no promises.


I really hope he changes his mind. The amount of work being done by people in this thread is really worrying to me (and I haven't even received my pledge yet!) and shows the importance of either getting the rulebook or the reference charts available in an electronic format.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jokemeister wrote:
cormor321 wrote:
malkaven wrote:
Whats the scoop on a pdf version of the rules? no go? Once I get my copy I'm probably going to get it spiral bound. However, I'd keep the rule book in pristine condition if I had a PDF version that I could use instead.


In the past it was never, but he recently said he'd give it some more thought after fulfillment was done with no promises.


I really hope he changes his mind. The amount of work being done by people in this thread is really worrying to me (and I haven't even received my pledge yet!) and shows the importance of either getting the rulebook or the reference charts available in an electronic format.


well, to be fair, the book is over 200 pages and it's a lot easier with a spiral bind - thats all. if it was a 20 page rule book, i would have left it the way it is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike H
msg tools
I'm interested in doing this, how much of the spine do they need to cut off for it to work?

How much stronger will a spiral bind be vs the current spine of the book?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John T
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CowardlyHero wrote:
I'm interested in doing this, how much of the spine do they need to cut off for it to work?

How much stronger will a spiral bind be vs the current spine of the book?


it gets cut very close to the end of the spine - when you open up the book you get to see the thread near the spine. thats where they'll cut. the spiral bind doesn't get damaged or bent whenever you open the book. it'll last a lifetime.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Binghamton
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I really was thinking about getting this done, but I am afraid that the book pages will tear near the rings (kind of like normal paper being torn out of a spiral bound notebook). Isn't this a problem?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Buisman
msg tools
I went in the other direction, bought a scanner scanned all of the events/tables.

Using a mouse and keyboard at the table to navigate the rules was tedious though, so ended up rolling the whole thing into an application that can be directed by voice.

So now I just ask the TV at the end of the table for a particular event and it displays it for me.

The only downside is that you don't get to see the art on the other side of the page. Considering making the rules page fade into the picture page after 5 minutes so you get to look at the Kingsmans art while he is murdering you.

Rulebook is safe in box during games (unless we need a rule clarification which doesn't happen very often anymore).
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pintsizepete wrote:
I really was thinking about getting this done, but I am afraid that the book pages will tear near the rings (kind of like normal paper being torn out of a spiral bound notebook). Isn't this a problem?


It should be fine. The thickness of the spine 'wire' combined with the fairly heavy duty paper in the book should keep things in good shape unless someone is overly rough turning the pages. The wire in a typical spiral bound blank paper pad is very thin and so is the paper which allows it to tear out easily.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not_a_cylon wrote:
I've been wanting to do this, but at the same time I am afraid. Last time I got something laminated they totally botched it and I had to throw it out. If someone messed up the rulebook, I think I would cry.

Wish I'd read this reply before today.

"Hey, I should have them laminate it too," I thought. "That's really easy, right?"


yuk
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.