A World at War» Forums » Rules

Subject: Midway! (And ensuing naval questions) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre Lanciani
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

In my group we tried the Midway scenario to learn the naval rules, and we immediately got a few questions:

Quote:
18.611 C. INVASION ATTACKS: Each AAF which flies defensive air support adds three factors to the strength of ground units defending against seaborne invasion

This multiplier is applied after the upper limit for DAS (3 AAF or 9 NAS (?) for each ground factor). Effectively DAS against an invasion allows you to add up to 9 factors for each ground factor (wow! the Japanese will have a hard time invading Midway of they don't manage to shut down a few planes stationed there, I guess).

Quote:
22.434 THE FINAL ROUND OF COUNTERAIR COMBAT: After the naval combat is concluded, the status of defending land-based air units for the remainder of the player turn is determined by the attacker’s final counterair combat result during naval combat

What happens if the final round of counterair results in less hits than previous rounds? E.g., suppose that on the first round of combat you attack the enemy AAF and manage to abort all of them. At this point, if you don't want them to participate in the following invasion combat, it maybe better to leave them be (and thus allow them to provide cover or strike at your ships) because you might get a lesser result for your counterair attack.

Or would the correct reading be that if they are at any point during naval combat "aborted" they remain so after the naval combat, even if they still got to act in the round after they received the abort result?

Quote:
22.521 MECHANICS: The following steps are followed in the indicated sequence:
A. Active combat groups with the same combat group number pair off in fleet combat.

I think I got the rule here, but I am not sure on the reason behind it. So two hidden CGs still fight in fleet combat if they are active, but cannot be targeted for air strike.

And this is true also in the following rounds, so two CGs which fought a round of fleet combat are still hidden with respect to air strikes (even from planes belonging to them!). I.e., they are near enough to shoot each other but they can't launch planes at each other?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

(I know that maybe the yahoo group is better for these rules questions, but if I can get support here it saves me another subscription and email address to check and manage. Also, I couldn't fine answers to these questions so I apologize if they have already been asked.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Lau
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexandrel wrote:
Hi all,

In my group we tried the Midway scenario to learn the naval rules, and we immediately got a few questions:

Quote:
18.611 C. INVASION ATTACKS: Each AAF which flies defensive air support adds three factors to the strength of ground units defending against seaborne invasion

This multiplier is applied after the upper limit for DAS (3 AAF or 9 NAS (?) for each ground factor). Effectively DAS against an invasion allows you to add up to 9 factors for each ground factor (wow! the Japanese will have a hard time invading Midway of they don't manage to shut down a few planes stationed there, I guess).

Indeed.

Quote:

Quote:
22.434 THE FINAL ROUND OF COUNTERAIR COMBAT: After the naval combat is concluded, the status of defending land-based air units for the remainder of the player turn is determined by the attacker’s final counterair combat result during naval combat

What happens if the final round of counterair results in less hits than previous rounds? E.g., suppose that on the first round of combat you attack the enemy AAF and manage to abort all of them. At this point, if you don't want them to participate in the following invasion combat, it maybe better to leave them be (and thus allow them to provide cover or strike at your ships) because you might get a lesser result for your counterair attack.

Or would the correct reading be that if they are at any point during naval combat "aborted" they remain so after the naval combat, even if they still got to act in the round after they received the abort result?

Not only in naval combat, in normal Air Interception (18.56) "abort" results are used only during the last round of combat too. It gets a few plays to get used to. And it is quite obvious what the decision should be (whether to continue another round of air combat) after a few plays.

Quote:

Quote:
22.521 MECHANICS: The following steps are followed in the indicated sequence:
A. Active combat groups with the same combat group number pair off in fleet combat.

I think I got the rule here, but I am not sure on the reason behind it. So two hidden CGs still fight in fleet combat if they are active, but cannot be targeted for air strike.

And this is true also in the following rounds, so two CGs which fought a round of fleet combat are still hidden with respect to air strikes (even from planes belonging to them!). I.e., they are near enough to shoot each other but they can't launch planes at each other?

Yes, you read the rules correctly. In practice, there are two situations. One is the group player wants to hide is assigned Group 6. It will seldom be Active. The other situation is a group is assigned to a low Group Number, say Group 1. It contributes both searching and fleet combat. You can imagine Group 1 is striving to protect Group 6 from opponent's Group 1. And thus try to engage the enemy from time to time. Between engagements, it can evade from air detection.

Edit: balance the quotes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
The relevant rules that apply are as follows (in bold for easy reference):

DAS during seaborne invasion:

18.614 LIMITS ON DEFENSIVE AIR SUPPORT: The number of AAF or their naval air equivalent which fly defensive air support may not exceed three times the number of defending ground factors. DMs are ignored when making this determination. A player may commit additional air units in excess of the 3:1 limit on defensive air support, in anticipation of enemy interception and air combat, but the number of air factors which actually provide defensive air support when ground combat is resolved may not exceed the 3:1 limit. Such additional air factors:
A. May not participate in any rounds of ground combat even if ground combat losses cause the number of air factors providing defensive air support to drop below the 3:1 limit.
B. Are unaffected by the results of the ground combat.
C. Are considered to have flown a defensive air mission and are inverted for the remainder of the player turn when they return to base.

Abort results during counterair:

18.526 EFFECTS OF COUNTERAIR ATTACKS ON SURVIVING DEFENDING AIR UNITS: If the defender does not disengage from counterair combat, the status of the defender's surviving air units is determined by the attacker's final air combat dice roll:
A. Defending land-based air units which were forced to abort by the attacker's final counterair combat dice roll (the number after the "/" on the Air Combat Table result) are inverted for the remainder of the player turn. Excess abort results are disregarded. See 22.43 for the effects of counterair attacks during naval combat.
B. Defending carrier-based NAS return to their carriers and adopt their inversion status (17.3122D); abort results are ignored.
C. Defending air units which were not forced to abort by the attacker's final counterair combat dice roll may operate without impairment during the attacker's player turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Lanciani
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Anyway, the battle for Midway was fought by both fleets until the bitter end. The Japanese managed to invade the island, but lost most of its ship and many of its planes doing so. Lucky search rolls on the part of the US and the timely end of the Japanese submarine in the first round of naval combat assured an US win by 34 vs 21 victory points.

The naval rules are indeed a bit convoluted, but if one follows the sequence correctly they make up a very nice mini game within the game (mini relative to the whole game, of course!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.