Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this in our normal Wednesday night group.

The components for the game look good although the individual houses are not as even in shape as some and the use of larger 1 gold coins to give bonuses on the library picks seemed very strange. Some of the icons could perhaps have been larger, things like the bonus icons on the Max picks and on the books are not easy to read if you are old and past it like I am.

Overall it is a nice looking game though. He above are just nit picking.

As we went through the rules my head started to spin, there were lots of different things to worry about and coming up with an initial strategy was very very hard, in then end I pretty much went for a random choice of starting tile and then just went with the flow.

We played 4 player, one player focused on the white (cotton) track, one on the grey (hats) track, one on books and I ended up pushing for lots of diamonds.

It took us the full evening to explain and play the game so over 2 hours of play time and the wealth of choices meant that there were times when things bogged down as players were looking to evaluate choices.

The black company (read grey and hats) ended up by far the largest at the end but all the players had at least three shares in the company, the one who focused there had 8. White was second best in value terms and there the shares were more like 5 for first and 2 for second.

One player had no point from books or diamonds and came clearly last, that player also ended the game with loads of cards in his hand (having bought using the cotton discount from the white track), this players score was about 80 or so. Third place went to the player trying to push the book track, he managed 35 points for books and some for diamonds plus some decent share holdings for a total score of 120.

Second place went to the player with the 8 shares in the biggest company which had a value of 9 a share. He also had reasonable levels of books and diamonds for a final score of 140. The winner (me) managed to get to the end of the diamonds track for 60 points (and another 6 or 8 money from bouncing past the end), this combined with average share holdings and some books meant I scored 146 to just take the win.

Overall my initial thoughts are that this is a decent game but it is one that you would need to play relatively regularly to be able to get a hold on what you should be looking to do. I would happily play again but there are for me plenty of other better games that I would play in preference.

I am not going to rate the game after one play even though plenty of people seem happy to give it a 10 without having played at all. If I were to rate the game now it would be in the 7 to 8 range, probably towards the 7 end but certainly a solid game with what appears to be multiple routes to explore.

Some of the mechanisms are really rather interesting, the card play and recycling one especially. I also like the fact that as you push for more shares in a company it opens up extra options that can change from game to game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
While I patiently await for my copy to arrive, I appreciate hearing what others think. I look forward to hearing how your feelings about this game evolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy's still in Manchester. Heck, depending upon who Hammy was playing with, it's just about possible that it was my copy that they were using. I get the game at Midcon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hamilton
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
My copy's still in Manchester. Heck, depending upon who Hammy was playing with, it's just about possible that it was my copy that they were using. I get the game at Midcon.

I was playing Mr Spilsbury's copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Sagel
Netherlands
Groningen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammy wrote:
If I were to rate the game now it would be in the 7 to 8 range, probably towards the 7 end but certainly a solid game with what appears to be multiple routes to explore.

My thoughts exactly.
In the one game I have played so far, I also maxed out the diamonds track but I was too far behind in shares of the huuuge black company so I ended up in second place. Just to show that the game does indeed have multiple paths to victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.