Subject: 5 player game, combat-oriented, minimal luck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ljusto Struhar
Montenegro
Kotor
flag msg tools
Hello.

I have recently delved with some friends in board games and after I've gotten a taste with Small World, I'd like to expand onto other games.

So here's what my friends and I like/want:

1. Combat-oriented strategy game. It doesn't have to be 100% brawls, but there has to be a major combat element to it where you steal, destroy, or take over your enemies territories or other resources. I don't want to farm all game and just race my opponents without interacting with them.

2. Highly competitive, minimal luck. We like having the option to think/plan a few turns ahead, this is hindered by luck elements and thus we'd like those to be reduced to a minimum. Of course things like cards and the occasional dice throw that won't dictate the outcome of the game is ok and can be fun.

3. Asymmetry and game diversity helps. Everyone having the same exact starting position or faction doesn't amount to fun and having every game play out the same way (or close to same) makes for a very boring experience.

4. Thematically, we like fantasy, mythology, but alternative timelines with something more futuristic or steampunk/post-apocalyptic themes wouldn't be overlooked either.

*edit* 5. We'd like the game to at least make an effort to convey its theme - whether through cards, the board or tokens/pieces. Just playing with cubes or other simple geometry on a bland board kind of kills the immersion.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XO_rocinante
Germany
Fürth
Franconia
flag msg tools
badge
Nooooooooooooo... heeeeelp meeeee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominant Species

It's a wargame at its heart disguised in a huge worker placement mechanism. It's crucial (steal, destroy etc.), has zero luck in it and is therefor highly competitive and got asymmetrical races with different perks. Well.. it's longer and heavier than Small World but also a much, much better game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Coo, that's an interesting ask... The more fantasy BS you want, the more dice you'll tend to have...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun has luck, but sensible board play can nearly eliminate it's impact. The best player will usually win. It's also insanely stressful. Feudal era Japanese theme (as you'd expect from the name).

Imperial has no luck after setup. It has subtle asymmetry in the starting positions, that determine priorities. It has a fascinating dual layer of conflict vs. investment, and the way those 2 intersect is unlike any other game I've played (apart from Imperial 2030 of course).

As Chris has said, luck and fantasy tend to go hand in hand. These two satisfy your zero luck requirement, and they at least have an interesting theme (particularly Imperial, there is something entertainingly grim about playing an investor in a world power, forcing them into wars in order to make more profit for you.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
In A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) the randomness is in the order of the events, otherwise the game itself is not unpredictable, only the simultaneous programming of orders causes double-thinking of what the opponents are going to do.

(1st edition would be better for 5 (because the map is for 5), but not as good otherwise.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ljusto Struhar
Montenegro
Kotor
flag msg tools
laexpls wrote:
Dominant Species

It's a wargame at its heart disguised in a huge worker placement mechanism. It's crucial (steal, destroy etc.), has zero luck in it and is therefor highly competitive and got asymmetrical races with different perks. Well.. it's longer and heavier than Small World but also a much, much better game in my opinion.

The game seems to be great from a mechanics point of view but looks really bland otherwise - what I'm trying to say is that if I didn't know what it was about upfront, it could be practically anything (theme wise).

TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Coo, that's an interesting ask... The more fantasy BS you want, the more dice you'll tend to have...

Well it doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy like I said

DAAAN wrote:
Shogun has luck, but sensible board play can nearly eliminate it's impact. The best player will usually win. It's also insanely stressful. Feudal era Japanese theme (as you'd expect from the name).

Imperial has no luck after setup. It has subtle asymmetry in the starting positions, that determine priorities. It has a fascinating dual layer of conflict vs. investment, and the way those 2 intersect is unlike any other game I've played (apart from Imperial 2030 of course).

As Chris has said, luck and fantasy tend to go hand in hand. These two satisfy your zero luck requirement, and they at least have an interesting theme (particularly Imperial, there is something entertainingly grim about playing an investor in a world power, forcing them into wars in order to make more profit for you.)

Haha we're trying to have fun not stress I'll check them out, thanks for the recommends.

a1bert wrote:
In A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) the randomness is in the order of the events, otherwise the game itself is not unpredictable, only the simultaneous programming of orders causes double-thinking of what the opponents are going to do.

(1st edition would be better for 5, but not as good otherwise.)

Argh hate it when one edition is good for one aspect and the other one for something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Schoukroun
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kemet and Cyclades might give you a hoot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Code Red
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Kemet.

ninja'd Cyclades is a good choice too. And then you can combine their creatures with C3K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Gaskell
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World with the Horned Rat expansion for a 5th player is what you are looking for.

Lots of fighting, lots of screwing with your opponents, and one of the ways to win is by acting 'in character'. i.e. if you're Khorne, you advance your powers by killing stuff, if you're Nurgle, you advance by corrupting populous areas with your filth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ljusto Struhar
Montenegro
Kotor
flag msg tools
Some really interesting stuff among Kemit/Cyclades/Chaos in the old world guys, thanks and keep the suggestions coming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande (still the king of area control games). I also love Cyclades and Kemet, but they do have luck in them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood Rage might work, but you'd need the Blood Rage: 5th Player Expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ljusto Struhar
Montenegro
Kotor
flag msg tools
bucklen_uk wrote:

That one looks really good but holy crap, that price point? Is it bound to drop at least a bit, if I had to add shipping costs it'd cost me quite a bit..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Hihn
Germany
Walddorfhäslach
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it has no fantasy theme Antike II could fit your bill very well. It's a struggle for territories and resources with a deterministic combat mechanic. At the same time you try to get some techs to improve your civilization. Really neat game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
Infiltrator84 wrote:
bucklen_uk wrote:

That one looks really good but holy crap, that price point? Is it bound to drop at least a bit, if I had to add shipping costs it'd cost me quite a bit..

Prices are for the Kickstarter version
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coolminiornot/blood-rag...
- and are the usual scalping (or entrepreneurial spirit)

It's supposed to hit retail in November (including the 5th player expansion) and price will be more 'reasonable', MSRP of $79.99 for the base game
http://cmon.com/br/
but you won't have the extras such as Blood Rage: Kickstarter Exclusives

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds exactly like Dune/Rex...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
XO_rocinante
Germany
Fürth
Franconia
flag msg tools
badge
Nooooooooooooo... heeeeelp meeeee...
mbmbmbmbmb
Infiltrator84 wrote:

The game seems to be great from a mechanics point of view but looks really bland otherwise - what I'm trying to say is that if I didn't know what it was about upfront, it could be practically anything (theme wise).

You looked at some 1st edition photos, didn't you? The game in its current edition is gorgeous in every single aspect. surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It still looks like The Cones of Dunshire. Solid game, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laexpls wrote:
Dominant Species

You can't say zero luck, since the Dominance cards come out randomly each round, which means you can't plan for them. But it's pretty close to zero luck.

For the OP, while the pieces are simple, the game is definitely awesome, and the third edition does have a graphic overhaul on the tiles and cards that make it a bit more exciting to look at then the first two editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
March of the Ants has really been filling this niche for me lately. It has an additional advantage of being relatively quick. The assymetry really ramps up as you develop your species and I liked the fact that your opponents' action selection can impact your play. Happy hunting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brudz
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
Hegemon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
niftykracker wrote:
March of the Ants has really been filling this niche for me lately. It has an additional advantage of being relatively quick. The assymetry really ramps up as you develop your species and I liked the fact that your opponents' action selection can impact your play. Happy hunting!

It is a really good game but with 5p you don't have asymmetric factions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnpatrick Marr
United States
Buffalo
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
niftykracker wrote:

It is a really good game but with 5p you don't have asymmetric factions

Yeah, I haven't used the assymetric starting setups yet. I'm always worried those throw a wrench into play balance. But by the midpoint of the game your species will be quite different due to the adaptations you've chosen (unless you're pursuing a totally vanilla ant strategy, which I haven't seen anyone try yet but is probably viable?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eclipse has many of the elements mentioned -- economic engine building along with combat being a major element. With the different races, it provides asymmetry. It is sf themed, though, rather than fantasy. The artwork and playing pieces also seemed (to me) to be good for theme. I think the major weakness is the amount of randomness involved -- the explore aspect results in a random map, the tech that becomes available is randomized, and the combat is dice-resolved. There is, still, large amounts of planning an optimization, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Empires: Age of Discovery: each nation has asymmetric powers and there's lots of interaction with other players, for both territory and/or resources. There's not much luck; no dice, luck is just which buildings/resources come up each turn. However, it's not fantasy or sci-fi, but based on the age of exploration/discovery (late 1400's - 1700s)...combat is a significant part of the game but may not be as major as you'd like...

Scythe: you might want to take a look at this one as it is on Kickstarter now; however, it won't be released till around October of next year. Plays up to 5, each faction is asymmetric, there are no dice, and it's an alternate history (after WWI in Eastern Europe, with mechanized combat units and farmers)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.