Popular Tags: ccg [+] [View All]
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I came accross LackeyCCG the other day and noticed they have two CCGs that I heavily play in real life and have a large collection of: Star Wars TCG and Lord of the Rings TCG.

I loaded the program and the module and soon noticed they use actual card art; this got me wondering how legal programs like this are.

The Lord of the Rings game is the one that really makes me scratch my head; supposedly Wizards had them remove official hosting of Magic through their site since, obviously Wizards has a Magic Online they run, for money.

Decipher also has an online, pay-to-play Lord of the Rings program, yet Lackey still has the most current cards on their site.

I've seen a few replies as to why nothing occurs:
1.) The community is very small and generally made up of people who purchase the game in real life (such as myself).
2.) They opened the can of worms by hosting full galleries of every card released.
3.) They don't know about it.
4.) They don't care.

As far as the Star Wars TCG goes, it seems, now that it's defunct, Wizards just doesn't care. A group of independent players have even been releasing custom expansions for the game since its demise.

My question is, do you think this site will get shut down, and are people who use the program, going to be prosecuted?

I, in a way, feel bad for using Lackey to play LotR, especially, but only do so since my friend is away at college; normally we play on a regular basis, in real life, when he is around; but I hate seeing my cards go unused for a fourth to a third of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Turner
United Kingdom
Thornton
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they are copying the original cards without permission of the copyright owner then there is likely to be infringement, even if it is on a non-commercial basis.

The owner has the right to ask them to stop, and can seek damages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when Decipher was making its SWCCG game, there was a some sort of program that allowed play over the internet and it used the actual card art. They got a letter from Lucasfilm telling them to cut it out. So, the program remained, sans card art. To be honest, I'm surprised that Lucasfilm hasn't done the same in this case. They seem to be pretty strict (unserstandably) about their intellectual property.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played on LackeyCCG before, but I think this is a great idea for dead ccg's. It's often difficult to find players, and having all of the cards available to you provides an even playing field, and allows the game to be played the way its supposed to. If the company isn't making money off of it anymore, I don't see the harm in using it. In fact, it could even help encourage sales of the real cards by introducing new players to the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:
I haven't played on LackeyCCG before, but I think this is a great idea for dead ccg's. It's often difficult to find players, and having all of the cards available to you provides an even playing field, and allows the game to be played the way its supposed to. If the company isn't making money off of it anymore, I don't see the harm in using it. In fact, it could even help encourage sales of the real cards by introducing new players to the games.

That's my standpoint; I do think Lackey shows how much support and dedication there are for dead CCGs; like I said above, since it's demise, fans have made two completely original 90 card virtual expanisons for the Star Wars TCG and another is on its way.

My only concern was the new stuff; for instance they just added the World of Warcraft card game; being that quick on games, is what I think will eventually get them in trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Garcia
Philippines
Pasig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried LackeyCCG, but if they've got games from Wizards, that isn't legal.

I play a lot on the gatlingEngine which, I beleive is similar to Lacky. The guys there have tried in the past to get defunct Wizards games on their servers with no luck. WoTC is holding on to every license they've got and they're not letting go whether they use them or not. I think Steve Jackson feels the same way.

As for the legality of the software type, yes, it's legal. The guys at CCGWorkshop gain permission to host all the games they have from the publishers/designers who created them.

I think they are even encouraged now because White-Wolf had a defunct CCG that now has an official online version running through a pay-to-play version of the gatlingEngine that's 100% supported by White-Wolf. So they're now earning again from a game that had already been all but dead for several years (Vampire: The Eternal Struggle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the probability that someone like myself playing the defunct Star Wars game is going to be prosecuted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ramon Garcia
Philippines
Pasig
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Virtually zero, but they will probably request that the game be removed entirely, it Lackey doesn't comply, then they'll sue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.