BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Big company, little company rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live out in the wilds, although there is a toy shop with a good range of boardgames available. The owner is a lovely lady, and she expressed her disappointment that from month to month, she was noticing that succesful games bought out by little independent companies would inevitably be bought out by Asmodee. You are not talking about one or two little Companies here, but many. She also told me that there was a lot more flexibility in working with smaller companies, and that she often felt her hands were tied with Asmodee. Very often the game would come out on Asmodee with amuch heftier price tag and much less of a profit margin for her.

She spends a lot of time looking for little independent companies, but as she said herself, you can't avoid the big companies...

I don't know enough to express an opinion,but would be interested to hear what you all have to say. Is this the price to be paid in France for the ever growing gaming market, that there are oneor two " Big Brothers? " I have nothing against Asmodee myself, seem like a nice, enthusiastic Big Brother to me.I am only repeating what I have been told. Just wondering if this is just the way the world works, even the gaming world ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gobaith wrote:
Just wondering if this is just the way the world works, even the gaming world ..

I think you just answered your own question there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gobaith wrote:
I live out in the wilds, although there is a toy shop with a good range of boardgames available. The owner is a lovely lady, and she expressed her disappointment that from month to month, she was noticing that succesful games bought out by little independent companies would inevitably be bought out by Asmodee. You are not talking about one or two little Companies here, but many. She also told me that there was a lot more flexibility in working with smaller companies, and that she often felt her hands were tied with Asmodee. Very often the game would come out on Asmodee with amuch heftier price tag and much less of a profit margin for her.

She spends a lot of time looking for little independent companies, but as she said herself, you can't avoid the big companies...

I don't know enough to express an opinion,but would be interested to hear what you all have to say. Is this the price to be paid in France for the ever growing gaming market, that there are oneor two " Big Brothers? " I have nothing against Asmodee myself, seem like a nice, enthusiastic Big Brother to me.I am only repeating what I have been told. Just wondering if this is just the way the world works, even the gaming world ..
This pheonomenon is a good thing...it means people give a damn about games. It wasn't so long ago that a little company would come out with a really good game and nobody would care. Count your blessings.

Pete (is glad things are now the way they are)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.