MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gave this a go last night.

(We were originally going to play #619, but then we realized that any of the 6*9 games require both the shares board and the goods board, and those two boards are printed on each other's back, so I'm curious to know if there's going to be a way to rectify this somehow.)

Anyway, the game itself was a solid Euro experience. I'm not sure that the road economy engine is a good match for the shares flavour option, because the shares get expensive more quickly than the road economy develops, so players really can't accumulate a large number of shares and the VP option they present becomes less important as a result.

However, it was interesting to see two players in this game come up with a share-flipping strategy - buying the cheapest share, watching it increase in value, then selling it and buying a different, cheaper share while also getting essentially a free money boost in the $20-40 range - and in this particular iteration of the game, 2-4 additional residents is a big deal because they boost your road network faster, and the road network is key because it doubles or even triples the speed of your trolley cart. (The share engine also rewards players with the lowest income, which is important because it means poorer players get first crack every turn at shipping and picking up the goods, a balance I appreciated.)

And ultimately the shares did matter for determining second place (but not first), because the previously-third-place player's ownership of one first-place-player share gave him 4VP and vaulted him into second place. So there you go.

I'd like to play this one again, if only to see if players begin to invest earlier in connecting to cities via mountains (more expensive but more profitable) and because the poorest-player-first engine seems better than simple clockwise turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

(We were originally going to play #619, but then we realized that any of the 6*9 games require both the shares board and the goods board, and those two boards are printed on each other's back, so I'm curious to know if there's going to be a way to rectify this somehow.)

I think you mean *19 (or 91*)
if you use this combination then Module 9 tells you there is a side on that board which combines both share and good prices

I think you played something wrong
in 9.III you can't sell shares of other player (and can't rebuy your own shares)

Also every share is worth the points that player made, so a share of the guy who got 35 points is 35 points worth. If you got 5 own shares with 20 points each your score would be 135.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henning Kröpke
Germany
Ascheberg
Germany
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:

One side of that board only has the shares track (the side with spaces 10 to 140).

The other side has tracks for BOTH shares and goods (the side with spaces 10 - 10 - 10 to 140).

Thankfully, we do not need to rectify this.

Henning
(2F-Spiele)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lokemoen
msg tools
The original poster of this session should delete it. It contains some serious rules gaffs and a factual error about the print of a brand new game. I don't see in any way how this session report contributes positively to BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
YourHighnessness wrote:
The original poster of this session should delete it. It contains some serious rules gaffs and a factual error about the print of a brand new game. I don't see in any way how this session report contributes positively to BGG.

Please don't delete it, as the thread will remain with all the later comments/replies hovering with no context.

OP could update the OP with a note at the top explaining that rule misunderstandings occurred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjørnar Løseth
Norway
Bergen
Hordaland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
YourHighnessness wrote:

Please don't delete it, as the thread will remain with all the later comments/replies hovering with no context.

OP could update the OP with a note at the top explaining that rule misunderstandings occurred.

This! Never delete. Edit with strikethrough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.