Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Point tokens worth face values? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jean Comeau
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi all!

I just played my first game of Mission Red Planet last night. We were 5 players and everyone loved it.

I have a question regarding the point tokens for the 2 minerals and ice we can collect from Mars and Phobos. Is each point token worth the same (1 point) or are they worth 1 to 3 points as indicated on each one?

I tend to think the latter, this would be why we have a global mission always available for ice, to make collecting it more interesting.

Thank you.

Jean
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
comeauj wrote:
Hi all!

I just played my first game of Mission Red Planet last night. We were 5 players and everyone loved it.

I have a question regarding the point tokens for the 2 minerals and ice we can collect from Mars and Phobos. Is each point token worth the same (1 point) or are they worth 1 to 3 points as indicated on each one?

I tend to think the latter, this would be why we have a global mission always available for ice, to make collecting it more interesting.

Thank you.

Jean


Yes, they are worth their facial value.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dude, why else would they have numbers on them?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerald Block
United States
Tualatin
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, when multiple players "tie" with the most astronauts in an area, you can not break the resources found there into smaller values so they can be evenly split them up?

For example, say that on the second production round, three players tie with 5 astronauts each on Phobos. A three-point mineral token is visible on Phobos. Normally, you would get a production of 6 points for that material -- 2 of the 3-point tokens found on Phobos. You get two because it is the second production round. Right so far?

Ok, so the three corporations that are tied for spacemen on Phobos want to split the resources evenly...they each want 2-points of the six available. But they can't do that because the 2-point tokens represent a different mineral. There is no way to split the 3-point tokens so each of the companies gets something. Thus, the 6-points of resources just remain sitting on Phobos, wait for the allocation that will occur after round three of production.

Is this right?

Jerald
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GhosterlyGus wrote:
So, when multiple players "tie" with the most astronauts in an area, you can not break the resources found there into smaller values so they can be evenly split them up?

For example, say that on the second production round, three players tie with 5 astronauts each on Phobos. A three-point mineral token is visible on Phobos. Normally, you would get a production of 6 points for that material -- 2 of the 3-point tokens found on Phobos. You get two because it is the second production round. Right so far?

Ok, so the three corporations that are tied for spacemen on Phobos want to split the resources evenly...they each want 2-points of the six available. But they can't do that because the 2-point tokens represent a different mineral. There is no way to split the 3-point tokens so each of the companies gets something. Thus, the 6-points of resources just remain sitting on Phobos, wait for the allocation that will occur after round three of production.

Is this right?

Jerald


Yes! Correct.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Flaviorbs wrote:
Dude, why else would they have numbers on them?


To be fair, the rulebook makes no mention of it, and I was confused at first as to why there were three resources while reading the rulebook, until I actually looked at the tokens.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CB C

New York
msg tools
the rule book makes no mention of this!!! the numbers are there only so that the different resources can be easily identified. i do not agree with your scoring - each point token is worth ONE POINT (or it would be referred to as a points (plural) token). obviously, the rules would mention this if they are to be scored differently (or if celerium was rarer than sylvanite).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zadecka wrote:
the rule book makes no mention of this!!! the numbers are there only so that the different resources can be easily identified. i do not agree with your scoring - each point token is worth ONE POINT (or it would be referred to as a points (plural) token). obviously, the rules would mention this if they are to be scored differently (or if celerium was rarer than sylvanite).


I noticed at the other topic that you saw your error.

The tokens value what's in their face.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CB C

New York
msg tools
I did. Still confused as to why the rules make no mention of this. any thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelvin Green
United Kingdom
Brighton
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zadecka wrote:
I did. Still confused as to why the rules make no mention of this. any thoughts?


Because it's a FFG game and I haven't encountered a FFG game yet that hasn't had a terrible rulebook.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The scoring phase section does make it clear. You score "total value of all his collected tokens" but the tiebreaker is "largest quantity of tokens regardless of value."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.