Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might be a bit surprised when reading the title, so let me explain that first.
I've bought Descent about a year ago, and was instantly hooked. I love it. So, I was looking for players to play it with me. I have plenty of friends, so I thought it wasn't gonna be a problem. But as the Overlord, I always won. Not so much winning as completely obliterating the players.

Thanks to some tips and strategies here on BBG, the players finally won a game last night. This time, they walked over ME, and I loved it, because interest in the game was going down quickly.

So, what happened? We played the first adventure, to start all over. The players had good characters, and were a good team from the beginning. After opening the first door, the master beastman had only time to think "who the he..." before he was blasted into a thousand pieces by Jaaz's powerful magic.
Our falconer (Vyrah) then ran towards the first chest, opened it, and it turned out to be full of goodies, ready to be used. The rest of the beastmen got in close enough for some minor damage after another one was killed by Andira, but they stood no chance against the onslaught of new magical weapons.

Which door to open next... The brave heroes chose the door to the north, and were assaulted by the razorwings almost instantly.
A quick counterattack took care of most of the monsters, but the Overlord spawned some pesky hell hounds behind them, something Boggs the rat missed, obviously.

Andira went back to deal with those, as Jaaz and Vyrah ran further to deal with that annoying master razorwing and sorcerer. Soon, the heroes were wounded, but there was no more trace of any monster.
Andira unlocked the next door to the east, and quickly launched some magical attack before retreating. Way too many enemies to deal with in that room!

The others activated the glyph, took the treasure, said "WOW!" to said treasure, and opened their door to the east as well, flanking the monsters.
It was a brave fight, but Andira went down after being attacked by every monster in sight. Vyrah was suddenly transformed into a monkey (that'll teach him to open another chest!), and Jaaz quickly ran to the nearest glyph, to get some new skills in town.

Now they meant business... New items were equipped, potions at the ready, and more training was had. All of them came back through the northernmost glyph, opened the last door with the new-found rune, and blasted their way through any monster in the way.
Needless to say, the Giant in the room was furious. Slowly, he came closer to the heroes, while his faithful new razorwing flock came in from behind. Vyrah was badly wounded, as was Andira, but she was so mad by now, that everything in the room was expertly blasted, three times in a row.

There wasn't even enough left of the giant to bury him... Victorious, the adventurers went back to town, and bragged about their new spoils.

And then, the moment of happiness for the Overlord, when one of the players asked: "When are we playing again?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J West
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I think it would be incredibly helpful if you mentioned the key differences in the heroes play style that changed the game from "OL always wins" to "heroes destroyed OL".

There have been a couple mentions of this problem recently, others would likely value your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A very good suggestion indeed. I'll post it here in the reply.

- In the first games, the players made the mistake of always wanting to clean a room out, before getting to the treasure.
- They also didn't look too closely at the line of sight, with regards to spawning monsters.
- Also, they would always lose a turn by all standing in front of a new door, before opening.
- They hardly ever used fatigue tokens, which they considered as a minor plus in the game.
- And lastly, they usually gave a lot of goodies to a really powerful character, to make him/her even more powerful.

So, what they did now, and what made them win:

- Instead of completely clearing a room, one of them kind of ignored the monsters to get to the treasure as quickly as possible, thereby giving everyone very useful items they could use immediately.
- Instead of banding together, like in front of the new door, they split up a little (not too far away from help) to cover more line of sight, so I couldn't spawn easily. Boggs the rat was also a tremendous help with regard to this.
- They each kept a number of powerful treasures, so everyone was about the same strenght. Made it harder for me to pick out the "weakest" character.
- Everyone just burned fatigue as much as they could. Moving extra spaces is really helpful! One extra move can make a huge difference. Two of the three characters also had skills which recovered fatigue. A great help.
- When opening the final door, they put all their specials skills and treasure to use, to immediately fire everything they had at the giant. They were totally surrounded by monsters, but since they only had to defeat Narthak, that's what they concentrated on.

There you go, I hope this was helpful!
Some of the strategies came from this post by Alex, which helped a lot. Very useful strategies: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/89357
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.