Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jamie Gibson
United Kingdom
Taunton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

We played this last night. Firstly, what an amazing experience... Wow!

But on our first run we ended **spoiler alert** by the hut with Joules pointing a gun at us. He had killed one of our party and the remaining three moved onto that card to investigate. Basically we had 1tu left and two of us wanted to talk to him just to know what the outcome would be for the benefit of our next run. But as we were on 1tu we couldn't decide if we had the units to do the glibness test. In the manual it says that you pay one time unit and then take an action, but it also says that the run is over as soon as the counter reaches zero. So you see we would have reached zero BEFORE we had a chance to roll the dice.

In the end we didn't do the test and ended the run which was felt unsatisfactory. Do we get to do an action and then move the tu marker or is it vital that we spend the time unit before the action? Surely if we have one unit left then that is time to do one unit worth of stuff?

In the end we failed runs one and two, although I think were pretty damn close on the second run. I can't wait to play it again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Lauke
Germany
Görlitz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
Sponsored by AR147
mb
It's a pity but I think the rules are clear in this case.
On p.9 the sequence of using time to do something is 1. Deliberation, reflection, and debate; 2. Expenditure of 1 TU and 3. Actions. And on p. 14 you can find the Mission Failure explanation: "The time marker reaches the 0 space. You are immediately transferred and must read the Mission Failed (TU) card.".

So you played it right. Better luck next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi (I played one run of the Asylum scenario solo up to now),

If adhering strictly to the rules...

...the run would effectively end in the moment that the TU counter sits on TU_1 after paying any amount of TU - because in this case, you might discuss whatever you want, then move the counter to TU_0 and ... go home.

I would suggest to use some "roleplaying" common sense here, as seems especially appropriate in the case of T.I.M.E Stories

If it is possible to "pay" the required amount of TU (1 in this case) you should be able to get the benefits for this.

This also applies to switching locations:

Imagine the TU counter sits on TU_1.
Players want to move to another location.
If adhering strict to the rules - they will have to stop here and now, since they will have to pay at least 1 TU - and therefore the TU counter will reach TU_0.

If the time captain indeed rolls a cost of 2 or more - I would say: OK, this *is* the end of the run, because the players are unable to pay the required costs after deciding to go to another location.

But - if they roll 1 and thus are able to pay the TU costs ... they should again get the benefits (looking at cards, etc.) *before* ending the run (because the TU counter reached zero).

Best Regards
Heinrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
No.
Although I understand that if you take the rules literally, you are right. Here is an extract from the German FAQ that is still in preparation:

"Wenn ihr von Ort zu Ort geht und noch 3 ZE habt, euer Weg aber 3 ZE kostet, dann erreicht ihr den Ort natürlich nicht mehr.
Aber wenn ihr an einem Ort seid, noch 1 ZE habt und entscheidet, diese auszugeben, um dort zu agieren, dann findet eure Aktion natürlich während dieser ZE statt, auch wenn ihr den Zeitmarker bereits vor dem Ausführen der Aktion auf 0 bewegt habt."

Short in English: If you have 1 TU remaining, you can use this to do a final action at a location before you are transferred back.

Sebastian Rapp - Asmodee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinrich Glumpler
Germany
Koeln
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Hi [Sebastian],

"Wenn ihr von Ort zu Ort geht und noch 3 ZE habt, euer Weg aber 3 ZE kostet, dann erreicht ihr den Ort natürlich nicht mehr."
English: "If you travel from location to [a different] location and still have 3 TU left, but the way does cost you 3 TU, you will of course not reach the location".

So you use a logic for executing actions:

(spend 1 TU of 1 TU and gain the benefits of executing the actions)

that is *different* from the logic of travelling:

(spend 3 TU of 3 TU, but you are NOT allowed to examine the location)

Sounds strange for me - especially since it costs 0 TU to reach the first location in a run.

Actually I hope that this is a typo and it should read:

"Wenn ihr von Ort zu Ort geht und noch 2 ZE habt, euer Weg aber 3 ZE kostet, dann erreicht ihr den Ort natürlich nicht mehr."
English: "If you travel from location to [a different] location and still have 2 TU left, but the way does cost you 3 TU, you will of course not reach the location".

Best Regards
Heinrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
nosferrari wrote:
Hi [Sebastian],

"Wenn ihr von Ort zu Ort geht und noch 3 ZE habt, euer Weg aber 3 ZE kostet, dann erreicht ihr den Ort natürlich nicht mehr."
English: "If you travel from location to [a different] location and still have 3 TU left, but the way does cost you 3 TU, you will of course not reach the location".

Sounds strange for me - especially since it costs 0 TU to reach the first location in a run.

"Wenn ihr von Ort zu Ort geht und noch 2 ZE habt, euer Weg aber 3 ZE kostet, dann erreicht ihr den Ort natürlich nicht mehr."
English: "If you travel from location to [a different] location and still have 2 TU left, but the way does cost you 3 TU, you will of course not reach the location".

Best Regards
Heinrich

I see your point, but it is not a typo.
The first travel from the base to the first location is not considered to be a location change. (Otherwise you would have to roll the die.)

According to me, this is completely logical:
We are at the location. There is 1 TU left. Can we do something? Yes. Once it is done, we are taken back to the base. Otherwise we would have done nothing during this TU.
We are moving from A to B. We have 3 TU left. It takes us 3 TU to get to B. Do we arrive at B? Ok, yes, we get to the door, but before we can enter and examine the location, we are taken back to the base.

That's how it is and confirmed by the Space Cowboys.

The only "problem" I can see is the physical movement of the TU-marker being done before the action is taken.

Sebastian Rapp - Asmodee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United Kingdom
Taunton
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
S_Rapp_Asmodee wrote:
nosferrari wrote:
Hi [Sebastian],

Best Regards
Heinrich

I see your point, but it is not a typo.
The first travel from the base to the first location is not considered to be a location change. (Otherwise you would have to roll the die.)

According to me, this is completely logical:
We are at the location. There is 1 TU left. Can we do something? Yes. Once it is done, we are taken back to the base. Otherwise we would have done nothing during this TU.
We are moving from A to B. We have 3 TU left. It takes us 3 TU to get to B. Do we arrive at B? Ok, yes, we get to the door, but before we can enter and examine the location, we are taken back to the base.

That's how it is and confirmed by the Space Cowboys.

The only "problem" I can see is the physical movement of the TU-marker being done before the action is taken.

Sebastian Rapp - Asmodee

Thanks for this Sebastian, I was running the game for which Jamie opened this thread, and, like Dominic above, ruled that when the TU hit zero we were immediately recalled to Base as per the sequence set out in the rulebook. It seems thematically logical for this to happen - as a character is about to speak, the recall hits, just like Dr Sam Beckett in many an episode of Quantum Leap. Still, I'm also happy to take the extra action as approved by Space Cowboys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.