Popular Tags: [View All]
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For context, I love Tuscany, but Euphoria flamed out on me fairly quickly. I want to get on board with Scythe, but I am having a really hard time perceiving the fun that the reviewers are reporting. I watched the playthrough and read the rules, and my impression was that the game centered on optimizing the actions on your private board and section of the map. Other than the occasional combat, I don't see where the player interaction comes from. There's not even any action denial like you get in worker placement games. So where does the interaction come from? How does what you are doing over on your corner of the board affect me? Or am I looking in the wrong place if I expect interaction in the game? If the spark doesn't come from interaction, is the draw the satisfaction of optimizing your engine?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Lowell
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Please help me see the magic
I can't answer your questions, but I might suggest changing the title of the thread to reflect your questions about interactions.

When I had seen the title, the first thing I thought was, "Oh C'mon, not another darn thread about the hype /magic of this game!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damon: My thinking in designing Scythe was that what the Nordic faction is doing in terms of their economy (i.e., building a structure) wouldn't impact whether or not the Crimean faction could do the same thing (or not).

The interaction comes mostly through claiming territories on the board, combating opponents, building structures (if I build on a territory, no one else can build there), claiming encounters before other players do, and getting to the Factory before others do. There's lots of freedom for players to choose whether or not they want to interact or if they want to clash over territories, which is meant to appeal to both types of gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also wait for the reviews once it hit retail. You'll even be able to upgrade the wooden resource tokens with SG's Treasure Chest series (uh... assuming you want the chests for your other games!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going for the Factory can lead to a lot of interaction. First, because reaching that hex gives you another set of actions you can perform. And these are usually very powerful.
Second, the Factory counts as 3 controlled hexes. This can be up to 15 points. So conquering that space from another player can lead to a 30 point swing (-15 for the player previously controlling tte hex, +15 for you), maybe even 35 (5 points getting a star for winnig a combat). In a game with an average scoring points of 50 to 90 (rough estimation) that can be a lot.
Like Jamey mentioned no one has to go the fight-for-the-factory route, but if you're looking for interaction, here you go.
Also, hexes occupied by opponents can simply block your path to a place you want to go.
A player going for hoarding resources on his territories scream for being attacked by other players. They don't have to, but it might lose them the game if they don't.
So I see options for interactions. Whether they happen a lot depends on your groups playing style. You certainly can play the game (especially with a low player count) withour interaction at all, but you don't have to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ottevaere Wouter
Belgium
Vosselaar
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
Going for the Factory can lead to a lot of interaction. First, because reaching that hex gives you another set of actions you can perform. And these are usually very powerful.
Second, the Factory counts as 3 controlled hexes. This can be up to 15 points. So conquering that space from another player can lead to a 30 point swing (-15 for the player previously controlling tte hex, +15 for you), maybe even 35 (5 points getting a star for winnig a combat). In a game with an average scoring points of 50 to 90 (rough estimation) that can be a lot.
Like Jamey mentioned no one has to go the fight-for-the-factory route, but if you're looking for interaction, here you go.
Also, hexes occupied by opponents can simply block your path to a place you want to go.
A player going for hoarding resources on his territories scream for being attacked by other players. They don't have to, but it might lose them the game if they don't.
So I see options for interactions. Whether they happen a lot depends on your groups playing style. You certainly can play the game (especially with a low player count) withour interaction at all, but you don't have to.

This is a good summary of the interaction (options) - good formulated!
And that counts for so many other games, in my humble opinion. thumbsup

And the hype? If you like this game - and that means: game system, game components, interaction, possibilies and ways to victory - then like it and buy it (via KS or later on). If you don't, leave it and choose other games to play. It's just like the hype around ECLIPSE: me and so many other eurogamers didn't got the fuzz about it. But hey - does this have to be a problem? Naaah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
Lines42 wrote:
Second, the Factory counts as 3 controlled hexes. This can be up to 15 points.

Don't hexes cap out at 4 points per hex, meaning 12 points / 24 point swing (at least per the currently uploaded rulebook)? Stars can be worth up to five, but hexes are always one less than stars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the opportunity to play yet, but have given the rules a quick once-through. One thing that struck me was the designer's focusing on giving the players multiple options wherever possible. I'm also seeing that as the game progresses the players will have to juggle performing an action that benefits them, yet may benefit their neighbors as well. Just by looking through the rules I see the potential for a lot of replayability & tactical and strategic depth. I may just have to grab the PnP and fabricate a set to play--the end of next summer is a long wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.