Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
How many times would a gaming group need to play a random setup of 504 to have a 50/50 chance of playing the same game twice?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
27 times.

How many times before they have a 99.9% chance of playing the same game twice?

84 times.

Inspired by the famous Birthday Paradox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Peters Unrau
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun!

I guessed only 3 high on the first question but a full 31 high on the second. Not exactly intuitive numbers are they? (At least for a non-math person like me.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Anderson
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with your first figure but for your second one I got a different result:
69 was 99.2%; 80 was 99.9%

and to be clear this is the chance of having played one world twice after that many games, not the chance that that game is a duplicate game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Alexander
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
beef
badge
sack
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested in why this is, see the Birthday Problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
knaves wrote:
I agree with your first figure but for your second one I got a different result:

On second calculation, ha! it seems I was looking at 98.9%. The result of 99.9% was actually...

84 games. Or 82 games, if you're rounding the hundredths place up.

Original post amended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
patton1138 wrote:
How many times would a gaming group need to play a random setup of 504 to have a 50/50 chance of playing the same game twice?

Next math challenge:

How many times would a gaming group need to play a random setup of 504 to have a 50/50 chance of having played every possible world at least once?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Puls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Haven't played the game so far. Thus the question. Is game 123 the same as game 321 and 132 and so forth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
wredo wrote:
Haven't played the game so far. Thus the question. Is game 123 the same as game 321 and 132 and so forth?

As noted on the game's BGG entry ("More Information"):

Note that 504 = 9 * 8 * 7 = the number of distinct permutations of 3 items from a set of 9. The order of the 3 game modules is significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Nicholas
United States
Wake Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
How many times would a gaming group need to play a random setup of 504 to have a 50/50 chance of having played every possible world at least once?

I'm not smart enough to do the math, but computer simulation suggests it is a bit over 3,300 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the paradox?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadm wrote:
What's the paradox?

The "Birthday Problem" is often referred to as such because the answer seems to defy logic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadm wrote:
What's the paradox?

It's what's known as a veridical paradox: the correct answer completely flies in the face of intuition and seems absurdly wrong, but can actually be proven to be correct. Most people guess the correct answer is around half the overall set of possibilities — in this case, 252.

The other way you could state it is: 'Imagine your game group has played 504 XX number of times. What is the probability that they have played the same game twice?' Most people will guess something far below the actual answer.

(Of course, if you already are familiar with the underlying math, you've also essentially undermined common intuition, so it won't seem so nearly paradoxical.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.