Popular Tags: [View All]
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This idea is based on a rules question in the forums.

What about having everyone build cities one at a time, still in reverse order?

This would have two effects.

a- It is not so good to be last anymore. You still get to buy resources first, and you still get one city before anyone else gets theirs, but not everything you wanted.

a1- Conversely, if you are first in player order, the hosage is diminished somewhat since you may have a chance to get in a good build.

b- Games go faster. Analysis paralysis may be diminished since there is no incentive to calculate all possible build paths to pick the lowest cost total.

b1- Downtime is less. Waiting for people to finish their turns is not a problem any more. Players are more involved in the game. Perhaps a touch of diplomacy even? "If you don't build there, i won't build *there*."

Haven't tried this at all, just a quick idea is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be open to trying this out next time. Seems like it could work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: City build variant: Impulse builds - How About Cmmdties?
You could use the same rule for commodities. There was a PG post recently that said to the effect: If I've got the most cities, and hence the most buying power, how come I end up with the worse deal as opposed to the best? (Pretty reasonable question in my opinion.)

(I am neither supporting either rule change nor opposing.)
(I am also rather ambivalent toward PG.)

Both of these changes lessen the "catch up" effect.

The Impulse City rule might change the way people think about building cities and that might make it more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
This rule would even more support the leading player. I wonder how many people think being last to be most effective. It's not. As the leading player you get most money firing more cities than others, you still get got building places as the people with less money are unable to build too much, and you are closer to victory than everybody else as you have more cities than other people. And now, as the leading player, you should get resources or cities cheaper? That would destroy the game in my view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I suppose it all depends on how much advantage one thinks that the last place player should have.

Under this rule, they'd get to buy resources first (I wouldn't use an impulse system for resources, it would be too cumbersome), and they get to pick the first best available spot to build on (and also n+1st, where n is the # of players). Those are fairly heft advantages already. I doubt that "the game would be destroyed".

The problem with the game as it stands is that the 1st place place player may not be making that much more than the last, especially in the situation where everyone has similar numbers of cities and player order depends on power plant numbers. I would posit that this is actually the more likely scenario rather than a runaway winner who has 5-6 more cities than everyone else.

I think most people would agree that having 1-2 more cities and/or the same number of cities but a slightly higher numbered power plant is not really that huge an advantage. It certainly does not offset the disadvantages of buying *all* your resources and building *all* your cities last, especially in stage 1 where people can get blocked out of places on the map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ɹǝsɐɹɟ
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
camustafa wrote:

b- Games go faster. Analysis paralysis may be diminished since there is no incentive to calculate all possible build paths to pick the lowest cost total.

No, now they would just check the possibilities every single house they build which with AP prone players would make the whole process take longer in my opinion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.