Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of selling a game in an auction, but when I pulled it our realized that the box had suffered some dishing from the games on top.

Would this significantly reduce the potential value of the game, or does it just depend on who's looking for the game? Everything inside is unaffected.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Ridge
United States
Martinez
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For myself, the box is what keeps the insides from being ruined so if the box has to take one for the team to save the innards, it's not a huge deal. I wouldn't expect to pay a premium for a mangled box but slight dishing isn't the worst. I suggest asking your price and disclosing the blemish and see where it goes from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it really depends on how bad it is. If it's minor, it wouldn't matter to me much. It will probably get worse sitting on my shelf. It also depends on what the game is. If it's OOP and hard to get, I'll be much more accepting of flaws than if it's something easily gotten right now.

That being said, if I were to consider buying it, the price would need to be low enough that it's worth it to me to buy used rather than new. But that goes for any used game, regardless of dishing. (I know there are some people willing to pay "new" prices for used games, but I'm just not one of them - if I'm buying used, it's usually because I'm looking for a deal.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I had a plan...
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the game and the buyer. I'd just be certain to clearly describe the damage, and if possible include a photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be amazed if it affects value at all except for a few particular individuals, likely to be a part of the bgg community.

I disclose such things as we have some extremely anal individuals here, do it pays to be open, but I refuse to believe this is more than a minority.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
If I'm already looking to buy a used game then that sort of thing comes as expected, even. Little to no effect on the value, imo (assuming you're selling it for a 'used' price, not its original retail one).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
For me, not at all. I mean, I'll take that 50% discount that the shop feels compelled to apply (for reasons that I just cannot fathom), that's their business, but I'm not going to ask for any sort of discount myself if a box is dented. I'm not, after all, buying for the box...

The same would be true of an item bought here or on e-bay - as long as the game itself is in good condition, I just don't care about a dent in the box. You want to note it and lower the price? Okay. Also okay with it being noted and the price not being lowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Depends on the supply of the game and your expected value.

If given a choice between a copy with dishing or none, the choice is obvious. Generally I'd pay more for a copy without too. But as long as you can show that components are in good condition then minor dishing on the box cover really isn't a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, a little surprised. Guess I have to decide how much it's worth to discount the game vs. just keeping it in case I want to try it.

For what it's worth, it's Kanban, so readily available, so I'm guessing it wouldn't have much value other than the space it clears up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit that when I read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about some kind of gossip about a game ("dish"). I have never heard that term used to describe the damage done by stacking games.

Learn something new every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco DeLaurentis
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruiser419 wrote:
Hmm, a little surprised. Guess I have to decide how much it's worth to discount the game vs. just keeping it in case I want to try it.

For what it's worth, it's Kanban, so readily available, so I'm guessing it wouldn't have much value other than the space it clears up.
I'm surpised that your surprised. There are a number of threads out there that talk about the selling of used games. From the ones that I have read, all of them talk about how the marketplace is inindated with overpriced used copies. Would you realistically buy something at goodwill/salvation army/a yard sale at retail? Especially when you can get a new version for the same price or cheaper? Most people wouldn't, and I don't think that I'm in the "vocal minority". If that was the case, places like Amazon wouldn't be doing as well as they are, and there wouldn't be nearly as many used copies of games on the bgg market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dishing seems like normal aging of a boardgame - depending on the severity. You might be overthinking it. I mean there's dishing and there's dishing. Maybe include a photo?

I'm pretty unimpressed that a recent game I traded for has initials written on the front with a sharpie however. I just discovered it and I have to deal with it now. If I ever decide to trade or sell it, I'm sure that will significantly affect the value, and so I wouldn't have traded what I did for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
Roll for it
badge
This image shows the Temple of Andor, a Spore Galactic Adventures Logic puzzle.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are selling a rare oop game for a high price, someone might be concerned. If you are selling a game for less than retail, I don't think it is an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Martin
United States
Parkland
Washington
flag msg tools
It depends on the game and the person buying it. I received the game the other day that had a big cut down the top of the box lid. It didn't upset me until I realize that I did it on opening the shipping box. If it were some rare game that I was collecting I wouldn't want a dished lid, but I usually don't really care.

Disclose it first though because some people will complain about anything to try and get a partial refund.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chinagirl geek
China
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely care about it. I take really good care of my games, and it would bother me to see something sitting there on my shelf among all the other 'perfect' ones looking bedraggled. I would only buy a used game if I was assured it was in pristine condition.

Maybe I'm more anal than I think I am

And I also thought this was going to be a thread about table talk spoiling enjoyment of a game for some people!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fire
United States
Warwick
RI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless it's a collectible, shouldn't really matter.
Of course it comes down to the buyer but if someone is buying a game with the intention of playing it, the contents are what really matter.

You could be selling a game and state that the box has tears but the contents are mint, if that is truly the case then the box would not affect my purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
It won't matter much if you disclose it.

If you act like everything is in great condition and someone buys it, they'll probably be pissed off. WHATEVER they paid they'll feel like they paid for a great condition box which is obviously worth more than what they got.

Whereas you'll probably get them to accept that that's a fair price for a not great condition box if it's photographed or whatever beforehand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only personally care about box damage/wear not affecting it's storage capability. So if the box has a hole, I'd be concerned and if the box is so dented that I can't store it in a modular way (it no longer fits in a rectangular 'hole' on my shelf). Otherwise, for any condition less than like new I'd not be upset to find general wear to the box.
It doesn't hurt to give as much detail as possible on a game condition, but in the end, the onus is on the buyer to confirm WHY you list a condition as only 'good'. However, you do have a slight risk of a poor seller review if a buyer feels 'had' by your description (or lack there of).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls