Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » VIC (Melbourne)

Subject: Visiting for a Week rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
Where be the FLGS that I should haunt in my week over the ditch?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Marr
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome!

List -> https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1379510/list-physical-store...

I'm not particularly enamoured by any of Melbourne's stores but Good Games Melbourne, Mind Games Melbourne and Games Laboratory are pretty decent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Milsims is the only one worth buying from in my view, but it's a bit of a treck now.

Games Lab is a decent play to play games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milsims probably has the best prices, but there's only the vapour trail of games moving fast behind those dollar figures.

They have the biggest "range" on their website, but seem to only ever have stock of the least popular stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
Milsims probably has the best prices, but there's only the vapour trail of games moving fast behind those dollar figures.

They have the biggest "range" on their website, but seem to only ever have stock of the least popular stuff.

Depends when you catch them, yeah. Sometimes it's a complete bust bothering to go in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
NickWatt wrote:
Where be the FLGS that I should haunt in my week over the ditch?

I visited Milsims last week - they have 8-10 items on your wishlist

In the city, visit Mind Games so you can get a head-rush over the vertiginous prices... then visit Classic Comics for a smaller range but fair prices and great service. Games Laboratory and Gatekeeper Games are good too. Spieldeluxe and Good Games often have more games, but my experience is they are a little more expensive than Classic Comics. If you can get there, Good Games in Box Hill is excellent.

If you have time, there are lots of groups that meet during the evening. Got any free nights? Coming to PAX?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was going to ask when you're here. There are game groups pretty much everywhere, you should definitely come along
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
You are all so welcoming very impressive. I did say I was a Kiwi...right?

I am not sure I will have much free time, especially in the evenings. Seeing as my trip is mostly funded out of someone else's pocket I feel I owe them my time more than taking it to do things I would like to do. If I am granted the liberty to get away for an evening, I will be only free on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. The rest of my evenings are booked up with meetings and what have you.

I am not coming for PAX, unfortunately.

Hopefully I will have time to get about during the day and see as many of these places as possible. I do intend to knock out 1 game from my wishlist, either mental wishlist or BGG wishlist, while I am there. I like to support the local game stores when I am in town, even with a minuscule purchase if that is all I can do.

Just as a means of understanding the price difference over there, how much would you expect to pay for these games, on average:

Ticket to Ride
Hanabi
Twilight Imperium?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out http://www.boardgamesearch.com.au/ for a great price comparison of the various retailers who service Australia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
NickWatt wrote:
You are all so welcoming very impressive. I did say I was a Kiwi...right?

Just as a means of understanding the price difference over there, how much would you expect to pay for these games, on average:

Ticket to Ride
Hanabi
Twilight Imperium?

We'll be nice right up to the World Cup final*

TTR and TTR:E are usually $65-70.
Hanabi is about $13, the deluxe version is $60+, and the "big" version with card stands and plastic fuse tokens is about $90 - but I don't know if anyone stocks it.

Twilight Imperium?! (You gonna take that home as carry-on?). Typically $150+. Milsims used to sell it at $120 and regularly discounted to about $105, but I think it is out of print (again).

And- it's a pity about PAX because last year there were some good deals there. For Hanabi & TTR I would go to Classic Comics.

* Realistically: afterwards we'll be sulky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
Ozludo wrote:

We'll be nice right up to the World Cup final*

TTR and TTR:E are usually $65-70.
Hanabi is about $13, the deluxe version is $60+, and the "big" version with card stands and plastic fuse tokens is about $90 - but I don't know if anyone stocks it.

Twilight Imperium?! (You gonna take that home as carry-on?). Typically $150+. Milsims used to sell it at $120 and regularly discounted to about $105, but I think it is out of print (again).

And- it's a pity about PAX because last year there were some good deals there. For Hanabi & TTR I would go to Classic Comics.

* Realistically: afterwards we'll be sulky...

I have 2 of the games I asked about...and I will not be buying TI3 any time soon (reason involving gaming group and scheduling more than desire to play), I was just asking those three as a gauge more than anything else.

TtR is usually around $90 here. Hanabi averages at $20, and TI3 I have only seen as low as $150 (however I have never actively price hunted this due to it being out of the question game wise).

As far as the rugby goes, I am assuming nothing. I work late tonight and will not be awake for the Semi tomorrow. I have been in this situation before and awoke to read ABs in Heart Breaking Loss...or some such terrifying thought. However, the world will continue spinning if the ABs lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick, you should totally stay for PAX. Can't you manage an ear infection or something that would stop you flying but not be debilitating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
melissa wrote:
Nick, you should totally stay for PAX. Can't you manage an ear infection or something that would stop you flying but not be debilitating

Haha! That would be an impressive feat given I am on a course of antibiotics for the very same thing...hmmm...I could...no...well...

...my employer would kill me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not like you're discussing your plans on a website or anything whistle

Edit: Appalling grammar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip O'Brien
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And it's not like some of us are employer representatives whose job it is to monitor these things. Fortunately l don't run any NZ payrolls...... or do I? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucky Phil wrote:
And it's not like some of us are employer representatives whose job it is to monitor these things. Fortunately l don't run any NZ payrolls...... or do I? ninja

I meant nothing by it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb

I have some fillers to pass any spare time with friends.

Thanks to IDW as well for all the spare space in my Machi Koro Deluxe Edition tin!

Games that fit:
Machi Koro w/Harbour and Millionaires Row, plus some extra components I added.
Sleeping Queens (as demanded by my 5 year old daughter)
Sushi Go
Hanabi
King of Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
Well hello Melbourne. Thanks for turning the weather on for us!

(It was wet and windy in Wellington when we left...but to be honest...that is somewhat par for this time of year.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Windy in Wellington? Who would have thought?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Windy in Wellington? Who would have thought?

Took me completely by surprise. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Watt
New Zealand
Wanganui
Wanganui
flag msg tools
badge
Play?
mbmbmbmbmb
Visit report
Hello all!

Thought I would let you know the trip went well, and my wife was very fortunate to have me only leave with a copy of Suburbia and a Cosmic Encounter expansion in my suitcase. I managed to get to Speiledeluxe on the way to the airport and there were some good deals there, if you knew what you were looking at and what their prices were elsewhere. There were also some games I knew I could get cheaper at home. That all being said, I was very impressed with their range of games, and could easily have stayed longer than the 30 minutes I had pouring over the different games I had never seen for sale in New Zealand.

With the Fountaingate mall close by I hit the two game stores there and bought some games for some of my friends over there. Forbidden Island and Sleeping Queens were purchased for a friend who has recently discovered Pandemic, that also happens to have 4 girls aged 10 and under. Forbidden Island, Dixit and No Thanks! were purchased for other friends with teen and older kids living at home, and a fellow that is recovering from a stroke. Dixit especially went down a treat with him as he is a bit of an artist.

It was very much a battle of wills not to spend the extra cash I had on hand, and I am sure that I will be back to Melbourne and will spend more time in these stores!

Special thanks to Games World, Spieledeluxe and Joe Dodgy's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.