11 Posts

BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Complexity? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mysty L
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
Is it hard to teach a non-gamer to play this game?

Is it similar to Magic: The Gathering- Arena of the Planeswalkers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't speak for that game, but no, I don't think it's that hard to teach a non-gamer.

If worried, you can start with the learner's scenario in the guide to get the basics down. Then have the next game or two just use the pre-made armies with the scenarios. Shouldn't take more than that first couple games to really get things settled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan King
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think it's super-complicated, but it might be overwhelming for non-gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what's a non-gamer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lange
msg tools
So, my wife had only ever before played really really common games like, boggle, sorry, and ticket to ride. I taught her BL2E when we were dating, and she had a firm grasp of the game after 3 times playing. She has even beaten me once, so I would say it's a good game to help people get into real gaming . Rune Wars, on the other hand, was much more difficult for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. L.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how interested they are in playing the game. If the interest is there I don't see any reason why a non gamer can't learn this game. I would say it has a medium complexity for non gamers unfamiliar with things like terrain, line of sight, and variable powers. With an experienced gamer helping out with the first game it wouldn't be difficult to catch on.

I haven't played Arena but I think it is probably a bit lighter in terms of complexity. The rules however aren't as well written as BL2e and I think overall more effort was put into developing BL2e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Nordberg
msg tools
I think you should be fine, at least after a couple of games. I taught my wife this game, and she did just fine. The Lore cards add the most complexity, as far as I could tell, but even that isn't too bad.

You might try the introductory scenario in the rulebook first; we did and it was a pretty good start. We ran an "ordinary" game right after and it went fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put it on the easier side of things, rule book is small and there is the good intro level to help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic can get pretty complicated. Way more complicated than BattleLore can get. At the core, though, I think both games are really easy to teach to beginners. And like Magic, I think there will be certain "newbie" mistakes that are common. For example, attacking all the time instead of thinking about what you'll get out of an attack and considering your long-term goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried this game with a new gamer (only played Small World and TTR) and he was able to pick this up after one full game. After only his second play he went out and bought it for himself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
I've got one game in so far - with my 7 year old - so I'm certainly no expert... But...

The game seems pretty clear overall to me. We did do the tutorial first, then played a regular game with the base factions. I had to get up a few times to google a few things that came up, but not many. The reference book does a great job of clarifying things, and when all is said and done it's a very "streamlined" game. The game really flows well and things tend to really make sense even after just a single game.

Any questions you have - just google quickly and you'll find a link to the answer on this very board.

As for being similar to the Arena of the Planeswalkers - kind of, yeah. It's a much better game, though, and I think the rules work a lot better. I'd prefer to teach and play Battlelore having only played once, than I would teach and play Arena having played that 4-5 times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.