Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still patiently waiting my pre-order, but I'd like to tell about this game to my friends already, just for hype it up a bit to get everyone as excited as I am! I just don't know how...

What would you guys tell at first about the Kingdom Death to someone who hasn't even heard about it?

Like, TL;DR -type of a thing. What are the MAIN points of this game you got your friends interested with? I'm not sure if my gaming group have patience for long, tensed up descriptive stories about the cards, boards, artwork, book, stories, heavy box and a bunch of highly detailed minis... Maybe the extremely high price will get their attention for a moment (everyone wants to try out things they can't buy), but is it enough for a long run..?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monster Hunter meets XCOM meets choose your own adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Dino Studio
United States
Sudbury
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
RAWR!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd sum it up to 3 main points that make KDM so unique.

Really immersive horror setting with a mystery/story that unfolds over the course of 25 lantern years.

Monster AI and encounter mechanics that keep things fresh and tense.

Character progression through gear, miniature assembly, and story. You will become attached to your characters only to see them inevitably die. It's high stakes survival!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CletusVanDamme wrote:
Monster Hunter meets XCOM meets choose your own adventure.

Thanks for your summary! I haven't played Monster Hunter myself, but maybe they knows it. At least, that's a start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
not_a_cylon wrote:
I'd sum it up to 3 main points that make KDM so unique.

Really immersive horror setting with a mystery/story that unfolds over the course of 25 lantern years.

Monster AI and encounter mechanics that keep things fresh and tense.

Character progression through gear, miniature assembly, and story. You will become attached to your characters only to see them inevitably die. It's high stakes survival!

Wow, man, now you got even ME excited more about this — and I already know something about the content and theme! Thanks for your summary, good job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian C
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drop the term "roguelike board game" on them and see if that has any effect.

I know it would on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exo Desta wrote:
Drop the term "roguelike board game" on them and see if that has any effect.

I know it would on me.

Thanks, I'll add that also into my hypelist!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eivind LH
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tell your Euro friends it's about a Stone Age-like settlement trying to manntall population, avoid starvation, expand culturally and upgrade technologically with the occasional hunt.

Tell your Ameritrash friends its a detailed portrayal of hunting and fighting monsters with the occasional phase of upgrading technology.

Tell your computer gamer friends it's like Monsters Hunting in a Dark Soulsesque environment.

I did all of the above, and they are all now hooked!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Compass wrote:
Tell your Euro friends it's about a Stone Age-like settlement trying to manntall population, avoid starvation, expand culturally and upgrade technologically with the occasional hunt.

Tell your Ameritrash friends its a detailed portrayal of hunting and fighting monsters with the occasional phase of upgrading technology.

Tell your computer gamer friends it's like Monsters Hunting in a Dark Soulsesque environment.

I did all of the above, and they are all now hooked!

Nice angle of view for different type of gamers. Seems like I'm getting today a whole bunch of good arguments for everyone's taste. I hope (and believe) my friends will be as hooked as yours. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't tell them anything.
Almost everything cool about this game is a spoiler! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli T
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Don't tell them anything.
Almost everything cool about this game is a spoiler! cool

Oh, you mean that I should rent a shady black van and hire couple of crooks who drives by and suddenly "invites" my friends to the game night, without any early notice? Sounds definitely like a plan to me! arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The horror aspect might turn off people. I don't even look at the game as a horror game. I look at it and explain the game as humans against nature in an alternative universe. Once I showed the components and explained that you are trying to get this settlement to survive in a hostile environment, I got my group interested. Once we played the prologue, they were hooked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Vazquez
msg tools
mbmbmb
If any of them has played "Darkest Dungeon" it REALLY has a similar feel. Pool of survivors, four go out on horrible adventures resulting in the party getting physically and mentally maimed, fighting some dark horror, returning with supplies to upgrade the settlement and individuals. They're very very similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, this feels like the world of Vagrant Story (old PS1 game) and Demons Souls mixed with the gameplay and brutality of a rougelike with elements from Monster Hunter (resource management) and Civilization.

Each of the three phases of the game cater to specific people. The Hunt Phase caters to those who enjoy narratives that help visualize the world, their survivors and their situations. The Showdown Phase caters to people who love strategy and planning; each decision here could kill your survivor or the entire group. The Settlement Phase caters to those who like resource management and molding civilizations.

All in all, it's a brilliant system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.