Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Getting play testers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Kay
msg tools
Any tips for finding people online to blind playtest a game? I seem to be having trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Warrender
United States
Averill Park
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cattle calls here at BGG have a reasonable response rate, but in my experience the percentage of people who actually play AND comment on the game is fairly low; maybe 20% or so. So, try to secure at least five groups!

The rate is even lower if you're asking people to PnP, so having one or several copies of the prototype that you can send out to groups is best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an entire forum dedicated to playtesters, which features both "Please playtest my game" and "I want to playtest things" type posts.

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/1530034/boardgamegeek/seekin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Playtesting can be one of the hardest hurdles to overcome when designing/developing your game.

On the one hand you have friends and family who might not be completely honest with you to spare your feelings, which can also happen with playtest sessions you host with strangers.

On the other hand trying to get the game into the hands of players for blind playtesting and get a reasonable amount of feedback from those players can take a long time since it may take awhile for those players to even get around to trying the game and then take awhile for them to get around to telling you their thoughts.

The best thing you can do on your end is to "promote" the game to potential playtesters. Talk about the mechanics in more detail, show images of the components, make a video if possible. Overall, just be patient and continue to do as much testing as you can on your own.

You might try talking to a local game store about hosting a "blind" playtest event where you give out copies of your game along with a sheet of paper with questions that the players answer and return to you at the end of the night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into a local game design group, if you're near a major city.
New York, Boston, Raleigh, Seattle, and others have well established communities where you can interact with other designers and playtesters.

There are also various events and conventions all over the country (and the world) Protospiel, Unpub are two of largest. There are also smaller events associated with some of these groups. I'm headed to an "Unpub Mini" tomorrow, a local event with about 10-15 designers and hopefully 20-30 playtesters held at a local gaming store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on theme, my group would be happy to playtest..

No in love with zombie or horror theme (though I love those personally)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about your Friendly Local Game Store (FLGS)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.