Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a silly question, but...

In the rules we can read abou the DX result: " The attacking player must disrupt attacking units whose printed combat strenght is at least equal to the total printed strenght of all defending units".

Until now i interpreted this result like this: In a combat the attacking has one unit with 4 CS and other with 3 CS. Defender is a unit with 5 CS. With a DX, defender is disrupted and attacking units are also disrupted ("total CS at least equal...).

But i find another possible interpretation: What happens if a unit (CS 4) attacks a unit with 5 CS (is an example). CS of the attacker is less (not al least equal) than the CS of the defender. That means the attacking unit is not disrupted in this example?.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miquel

The Attacker is still disrupted in that 2nd example(Attacker 4cs vs Defender 5cs) .

In the 1st example the Attacker with 2 units(4cs & 3cs)would only disrupt the 4cs unit-Not both since both attackers strength(7) is greater than the defender at 5cs.So just the one unit that is closest in strength needs be disrupted

Rule say's -At Least Equal. You can get very close or equal to the defender's strength but you do not go over his.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Kim.
your answer helps, of course. But still i'm not sure if is correct. One more example. Two attacking units with cs 3 each against one defender unit with 6 cs. How many attacking units you disrupt?. I think both attacking units are disrupted. But if the same units attack a 7 cs defender, do you only disrupt one unit?.
Maybe the explanation for Dx result more correct is the following: "...attacking disrupt the unit with the bigger cs."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If 2 attacking 3cs attacking the 1 defending 6cs than both attackers disrupted( The attackers are equal to the defenders strength.

Same for the 7cs defender-both attacking 3cs would be disrupted (as they are less than the defender)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The attacking player must disrupt attacking units whose printed combat strength is at least equal to the total printed strength of all defending units."

I couldn't find where I'd read the review that supported this, but I've always played different than Kim and agree with your first interpretation. Printed combat strength at least equal means just that... in the case of a 4 and 3 attacking a 5, all would be disrupted on a Dx. You can't split up the strength and neither has at least the five... you have to flip both units.

As to your second CS 4 against a CS 5, again both would be disrupted as the 4 is the highest (only) attacker and not at least the defender's 5.
I know I read that somewhere, too... but I've lost almost all my collection of stuff this year and can't look things up anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miquel Izquierdo Cazorla
Spain
08030 Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help, Kim and Greg. The wording of this rule is al not very clear: The last sentence of the explanation of the DX result tells that only units wich actually combat can take disruption... What else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Krynicki
United States
Lakeville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you interpret the rule literally, this is how I see it being implemented (bolded words are my emphasis for clarity):

Dx = Disruption Exchange. "All previously undisrupted defending units are disrupted. All previously disrupted defending units are eliminated. The attacking player must disrupt attacking units whose total printed combat strength is at least equal to the total printed strengths of all defending units."

Dx Example #1
Two units with CS:4 and CS:3 attack a unit with CS:5 (7-5 is 1-1 odds). The defending unit is disrupted in order to satisfy the "All previously undisrupted defending units are disrupted." , both attacking units must be disrupted in order to satisfy the requirement that "The attacking player must disrupt attacking units whose total printed combat strength is at at least equal to the total printed strengths of all defending units".

Dx Example #2
A unit with CS:4 attacks a unit with CS:5 (4-5 is 1-2 odds). The defending unit must be disrupted in order to satisfy the "All previously undisrupted defending units are disrupted." and the attacking unit is also disrupted in order to at least attempt to satisfy "The attacking player must disrupt attacking units whose total printed combat strength is at least equal to the total printed strengths of all defending units."

Dx Example #3
Two units with CS:6 and CS:4 attack a unit with CS:5 (10-5 is 2-1 odds). The defending unit is disrupted in order to satisfy the "All previously undisrupted defending units are disrupted." . The attacker need only disrupt the CS:6 unit in order to satisfy the "at least equal to the total printed strengths of all defending units" requirement.

Dx Example #4
Two units with CS:6 and CS:4 attack a unit with CS:5 which is also doubled due to terrain for an adjusted Combat Strength of ten (CS:10) (10-10 is 1-1 odds). The defending unit is disrupted in order to satisfy the "All previously undisrupted defending units are disrupted." . The attacker need only disrupt the CS:6 unit in order to satisfy the attackers requirement to disrupt units whose Combat Strengths are "at least equal" to the "total printed" (not adjusted) strengths of all defending units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.