Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything that sucks about...

Star Wars: Galaxy Rebellion

To read up on the concept of and motivation behind this review series, check up on the first review I posted under the „Everything that sucks about...“-banner.

What is it about?

„Star Wars: Galaxy Rebellion“ (called „Die große Würfelrebellion“, which roughly translates to „The great Dice Rebellion“... yes, that's one stupid title) is a „Star Wars“-themed dice rolling game for two to four players. It takes thirty to forty-five minutes and incorporates mechanics like dice allocation and... well, that's about it.

Everything that sucks about it:

- Theme? There is no theme. Yes, Dr. Knizia never was one for lots of flavor in his games, but man, is this one ever so shallow. You roll custom dice with different symbols on them but they don't even care to elaborate what each of those symbols mean. Roll two Stormtroopers, a TIE-fighter and a Death Star and you can finish that task. What did you do? Dunno, take two VPs and Yoda. It also boils down the whole tension of the original „Star Wars“-trilogy into a strange competition where the main characters try to take down the Empire absolutely effortlessly a bit faster and a bit more efficient than their friends. 'cause... well, that's how that war ended up looking like, right? And don't get me started on Darth Vader and Palpatine. Unable to allocate some dice? Well, than you'll be visited by one of those Sith-masters, so that he can *gulp* lock one or two dice on your next turn. Yeah, real scarry.

- It doesn't really help the game that on top of it's thematical missteps, it is one butt ugly game. Still frames from the movies are cobbled together without any rhyme or reason and for some strange reason, they picked a pic of that shameless Yoda-thing from the new trilogy for his standee.

- Knizia may not be known for his deeply rooted themes, but usually he at least manages to get the game balance right. Not in this one, though. I haven't done the math, just counted a few things and mulled over them, but I'm pretty sure Leia is the most powerfull character while Chewie and Han are the weakest. Here's why: Their imprinted symbols are equal across all six boards, but Leia's and Luke's symbol appear in more dice-rows than the ones Han and Chewie possess, giving them more options to work with. En plus, there's only one companion character offering Leia's symbol while there are two for all of the other symbols. Which makes Leia's ability to create one of those symbols each turn supperior to those of all of the other characters. Which doesn't mean much because there's so much luck in the game, but it's worth noting.

- Yes, there's luck in here. Let me rephrase this. Yes, there's (almost) nothing but luck in here. In a two player game you can kind of press your luck, go with the odds and decide whether to begin a row despite the fact that your opponent could finish it during his turn, so that you have a better chance of doing so when you're up next, but playing this game with more than two eliminates all of this.

- Also this game is too long. It takes an idea and mechanisms that are mildly interesting for ten minutes or so and stretches them to almost an hour. There's a variant to shorten the game (play one less planet, which seems okay, because there are no bonusses to acquire on said planet that are available anywhere else, so this shouldn't throw off the balance that much further), but even when doing so, the game is still far too long.

- It also somehow manages to be pretty fiddly. You roll your dice, you allocate them, you finish your turn and you cover all of the symbols that you rolled with ugly white plastic caps donning the rebel symbol, but this simple act manages to be completely annoying and although it takes mere seconds, this seems too long, unnecessarily prolonging the game even further. Also the whole allocation-part, where you allocate a few dice, re-roll the rest once, allocate them, use your character, use potential companions, it just seems so... long, drawn out and pretty unnecessary. Did I also mention, that all of those things are ugly?

- And here's the biggest flaw, „Star Wars: Galaxy Rebellion“ has to offer and it kind of ties in to all of those above. It's too overproduced and too expensive. In Essen it was sold for 19€, which seems like a reasonable price, but you know what? Throw out the misrepresented „Star Wars“-license, throw out the ugly plastic caps and the ugly planet boards and replace them with task-cards, use normal dice instead of the custom ones, get rid of all of the superfluous stuff, put everything that remains in a box the size of the one „Bohnanza“ came in or even smaller and sell it to us for... I don't know, five bucks or something like that. That way this game could be passable. As it is, ugly, fiddly, overlong, completely luck-driven and delivered in a box the size of the one of the new „Risk: Star Wars Edition“... Yeah, no.

Things that especially suck not:

- You can be Chewbacca. Kind of.

What I think:

I'm not a big fan of Knizia, I'm not a big fan of „Star Wars“, I'm not a big fan of Ravensburger Games and I'm most certainly not a big fan of this certain game here. Why I even bothered with it, you ask? My girlfriend wanted to give it a try when we were at the Essen-fair this year. So why not? And even though I didn't like it the least bit, she did and decided to buy it. And yes, I played it again at home, with two this time (we played it with three at the fair) and I still didn't like it, although I have to say that with two it is far better than with more players. Still, it's just an ugly, boring, overlong game of dice-chucking without any real effort put in by any of the parties involved, just a quick cash-grab to benefit from the new movie. I guess it's a passable game for kids or to just mindlessly play by two very bored persons, but then again, there are so many better alternatives if you're looking for something that fits those cathegories. If you really think you need that game, first of all, think again, secondly, if you still persist, wait a month or two and grab it for a few bucks in the bargain-bin. But even then, I don't think you'd be able to extract a lot of enjoyment from it. I know that it's nothing I'm really intent on playing again, because of everything that sucks about it.

If you liked what you read, check out and subscribe to my „Everything that sucks“-geeklist to be notified about new reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKenzie
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think that's a pic of Bioshock Infinite, is it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
civet5285 wrote:
I don't think that's a pic of Bioshock Infinite, is it?

whistle

Thanks for pointing that out, fixed it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this game a retheme of Age of War?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played "Age of War" once, but as far as I remember, no, I think it works a bit differently. There are special abilities (something I longed for dearly in "Age of War") and you don't have to complete tasks completely on your turn, you can start them and finishing them becomes easier, but your move may also benefit your opponents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harblnger wrote:
I only played "Age of War" once, but as far as I remember, no, I think it works a bit differently. There are special abilities (something I longed for dearly in "Age of War") and you don't have to complete tasks completely on your turn, you can start them and finishing them becomes easier, but your move may also benefit your opponents.

Actually mentioning Age of War is interesting, this game is a much superior version of that. In Age of War the only decision is to choose a car you are trying to complete. Here the game is much, much more tactical, you choose the row but you also need to weigh in that if you don't complete it your opponent might benefit, you have your own special power and one time abilities. I have not played it with more than 2, but with 2, there is enough tactics here. The game doesn't look great but no, it's not that ugly and the dice are wooden and really nicely made. It's a gamer's version of Age of War with Star Wars theme on top of it... all in all a decent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.