• [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean like directly fighting other players as opposed to just playing a card that might make them discard a card or something?

You might want to have a look at Arctic Scavengers or of course Star Realms. If you prefer fighting through area control instead of just playing cards maybe Trains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb

Nightfall is one I've recently fallen in love with.

~J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game 1-4p
Star Realms 2p
Cthulhu Realms 2-4p
they all seem the same to me except theme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
Recommendations?

For direct combat, the best I'be played is Nightfall. It's difficult to find a complete set (Most of the difficulty is in acquiring Eastern Skies and the promos) now, so if you're a completionist, I'd avoid it. If you don't mind anime-style art, Kanzume is a similar game that should still be available (you can still get it direct from Japanime, not those crazy guys on Amazon or Ebay).

For Nondirect combat, Thunderstone is another choice, but it's also kind of out of print now as well.

You're basically stuck with Acension now, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
not much for words are ya?
perhaps A Few Acres of Snow?
where the combat mechanic is deck building?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Kalenda
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Pergamemnon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Arctic Scavengers
Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dino Buffetta
United States
Wenonah
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Realms: Great game and can not wait until I can get my hands on the new expansion.
NightFall: I have not played this yet, purchased two months ago with a expansion.
Kanzume Goddess: My first Kickstarter and my first deckbuilder. With the art it is not that easy to get it to the table with my gaming circles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimbo Hale
msg tools
mbmbmb
While I have A Few Acres of Snow for four years now I still have yet to play, but it was the first to pop into my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbuffett wrote:
Star Realms: Great game and can not wait until I can get my hands on the new expansion.
NightFall: I have not played this yet, purchased two months ago with a expansion.
Kanzume Goddess: My first Kickstarter and my first deckbuilder. With the art it is not that easy to get it to the table with my gaming circles.

I just went and checked out the art for Kanzume, they certainly went over the top (haha pun) with that game. I could see how it wouldn't get to the table for some players (I certainly wouldn't bring it to game night!). The art is well done, however, I will give them that.

Artic Scavengers does come to mind for a suggestion for the OP, and it's easy to get now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
May be hard to find for awhile, as it just got distributed to the backers, but Emergents: Genesis is a deck building game in which you directly fight the other players. Worth a look, perhaps. I've yet to play it, but I've heard a few good reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb
    The original deckbuilder -- Starcraft!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Italy
Torino
flag msg tools
[______|_hi]
badge
[intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightfall is the obvious choice As others said, it seems difficult to find.
I have not played it, it is sitting on my shelf because it is a particular kind of game.

I played Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game, and I think it is a great game. It uses the deckbuilding mechanism, but it is not the focus; also there is not much "engine building", that for at least some people is a key part of "deckbuilding games". ("Well, this is not really a deckbuilder...")

Also you could look into Rune Age.
(One of my all-time favourites.)
It has different scenarios (=game modes). Excluding the co-op scenario, the others need players fighting each other's for resources, and one has the win condition "being the last player alive"
Again, more focused on timing than on crafting an engine.

HTH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
CapCom Street Fighter Deck-Building Game Is a nice, simple single-currency deckbuilder with "attacks" mostly about messing with your opponents' decks and hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.