Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Combat Commander Day in Oakland was quite extraordinary, as we had, at one time, twenty people playing CC:E, simultaneously, including Kai, and Chad Jensen, (the folks who designed the game.)

It was awesome to look around and see Scenarios 1, 5, 11, 6, 4, and 7 being fought out by Commanders from all over the Bay Area. It was neat to see how well you were doing, versus someone else playing the same scenario, at the same time, on a different table.

The game I was involved in had Five! Time! Triggers! before the first "Fate Deck" had been played through. This made it very difficult for the Russians who were, "running out of time" do much more than suicidal waves across snowy fields, as they tried to "breakout off the board," (Scenario 5: Cold Front...Brrrr).

The day went over so well, and so much interest was generated that we have decided to make "Second Sundays" a regular "Combat Commander: Europe Day."

That's right, in addition to the Historical Games Day on the last Sunday of the month, we are adding a second day, reserved for CC:E. Additionally, there was talk about wanting to have a tournament.

Here is the plan for that: Rather than a "tournament" per se, as tournament implies - "one weekend, where it is all hashed out," talking with John Holmes, Chad, Paul Bravey and Aaron, we realized that with this sort of turnout it would need a "bigger approach" than a single weekend.

So, here is the idea...First, in February, we will have our second CC:E Day. This will give more time for people to acclimate to the rules, and the game. Then, in March, rather than a tournament, we would begin a "League" that would be run as either as a "Round Robin," where everyone plays everyone once, recording points for wins, fewer points for draws, and no points for losses. (There would be more involved with this approach, that will be explained if we choose to go in this direction). The winner would recieve a trophy, and there would be a nominal cost to be part of the League.

The other type of League we could run, would be a straight Ladder. Here, everyone starts out on the same rung, then winners move up to the next rung, those who were smited remain on the original rung. This would allow you to challenge anyone on your rung, or one rung higher.

Each approach has advantages, and if you have any additional ideas, or approaches fire them out there. We have 1 1/2 months to figure out what will work best for those interested. So if you are interested, let me know, and I'll add you to the list.

At any rate, thanks to all who showed up, making it a great turnout, and a great day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The "round robin" doesn't sound so practical, because it will take much more than one month to complete a round-robin, and probably not everyone will be able to come every month. (I look forward to coming as often as I can, but I can't commit to coming every single time.) So, if certain people are supposed to play certain other people on a particular month, and there are some no-shows, then scheduling will get awkward.

An alternative to a "ladder" is to use a numerical ranking system, where people get rankings that go up when they win and down when they lose, based on their own rankings and those of their opponents. You could either develop your own, or use the AREA ranking system, which still exists here:

http://wolff.to/area/

and contains rankings for many games.

I like this a little better because people can still just show up and play any convenient opponent, but you do get some measure of "success".

But I'll try to participate in whatever format you choose. Thanks for setting this up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, too, had a great time at the CC day in Oakland yesterday. I have played numerous games solo over the past few weeks, and while that is certainly enjoyable, there is nothing like a real opponent! It also helps you realize some of the poor decision you can make that you may get away with solo. I shall repeat this mantra in my mind: "Always watch your Actions". Sometimes I could kick myself for not using an Action that could have had sa significant impact on my well laid plans. In one case, my major "probing" unit was wiped out, and may have been fine had I noticed the "Assault Fire" Action in my hand. cry

I met some great people and look forward to staying in touch. I don't know how often I can make it up to Oakland, but I'll certainly be trying.

Oh, and thank you to EndGame for hosting. That is one nice [and clean] store with a great gaming area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be explicit, the upcoming CC dates at Endgame will be Feb 11, Mar 11, Apr 8, etc.? The second Sunday of each month? I just want to put them on my calendar, now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey David,

Yes, we are looking at Feb. 11, March 11, April 8, May 13th, etc. Each "Second Sunday" of the month, will be the day. I see "The League" working like this: It would be a Swiss-style approach, where everyone plays every round, and every session/ season. We would have four "Seasons" of play. March/ April/ May will be Spring, June/ July/ August will be summer, etc.

Within each season we will have a "Competition." So, for the first season, let's say that we have 20 people show up for the first session on March 11. Of those, 10 would win, ten would not. The winners then could match up for the next round, while those who didn't win, would also match up for the next round. Those that draw could match with others who draw.

Then, for April 8, let's say 14 people show up. Those who "won" in the previous month, would match up for the second round. Eventually, we would go from 20 "undefeated Commanders," to 10, to 5, to 3 to 2 to 1.

In terms of time needed to do this in a three-month segment of time, it would mean that those who are "winningest" would have to play two games per session, in order to arrive at the "only undefeated Commander" by month three.

This, at the moment is what I am thinking. Though I am still sifting through other ideas. The AREA concept would work, though it is a bit more involved than what I feel is necessary.

This way, if you are in the 'winner's bracket' you could match up with someone who is in your same bracket, negating the need to have be playing "x" individual. If it gets down to the last rounds, and you can't make it, then you, along with your opponent would need to schedule the match on your own, reporting the results later.

At any rate, it's a work in progress.

Cheers,

Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In defense of the AREA system, it's pretty easy. All you have to do is compile a list of winners and losers each session, send it off by email, and the online ratings get updated.

The seasonal competition that you describe sounds fine, too. CC:E isn't a game where two players can only enjoy it if they are at the same level of skill and experience, so I don't think it's important to work hard to get "fair" matchups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.