Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some very nice relatives gave us a lot of gift certificates for Time Well Spent for Christmas. Whee, more games!
However, having used some of the certificates on our top wants, we are actually at a loss for what to get next. So, I askfor your opinions oh wise people of BGG. Here are some of the things we are considering, and why we aren't just running out to get them:

Leonardo Da Vinci - we played this and enjoyed it. A good solid game, but it just didn't seem to offer anything really new or interesting.

Siena - this looks interesting, but reviews have been really mixed. I'm not sure we want to buy it blind, but since nobody we know has it, I'm not sure we'll get to try it any other way.

BattleLore - at first this sounded exciting. Then we got annoyed about the Hill Giant promo. Then we got annoyed about the DOW rep not bringing many Earth Elementals to BGG.Con at not being able to get one. This led to the general annoyance impression that most of the interesting pieces for it will probably not be generally availble. Now, we might be able to get a Hill Giant (or might not) but by now the enthusiasm has kind of dropped, and just aren't sure its really worth it to us.

Tumblin Dice - this was fun, but not quite as fun as Crokinole. However, it is a bit more portable - especially if we got the Jr. version. But if we want something portable, its because we want to play it with others, and the Jr. only plays 2. Anybody know if it works ok if you add more dice in and play with 4?

Shogun - we've heard lots of praise for Wallenstein, but for some reason we've never tried it. Should we?

Sunken City - I saw this at some point and thought it looked really neat, though reviews seem a little mediocore.

Robo Rally - we've got all the original Robo Rally sets, so we would just be buying this for the new boards, the clear plastic flags, and a new deck of program cards (ours is in pretty bad shape). But we're just not sure if its worth it just for that.

Formidable Foes - Its a Friedman Freise with a dungeon crawl theme! This sounds like a good thing, but I don't know...the described gameplay doesn't sound that grabbing, and we recently got Drakon (from my Secret Santa!!) for a good dungeon crawl themed game.

Any comments on any of these? Suggestions for things we've overlooked? Or should we just hold off and wait for upcoming stuff?

Thanks for any suggestions!

(We being myself and Lisa (user Nightmare) in case anyone is actually being thorough enough to look at our ratings or anything)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kudos on the spending spree! Just please, please, PLEASE for the love of all that is good, avoid Siena! You may decide to give up boardgaming forever if you go through with it... soblue

Shogun would be a fabulous choice. I love Wallenstein, and a nice Japanese retheming will still be a great game.

Don't let the DoW rep or promo policy for BattleLore get you down, it's still a great game with great bits and lots of fun.

StormKnight wrote:
Some very nice relatives gave us a lot of gift certificates for Time Well Spent for Christmas. Whee, more games!
However, having used some of the certificates on our top wants, we are actually at a loss for what to get next. So, I askfor your opinions oh wise people of BGG. Here are some of the things we are considering, and why we aren't just running out to get them:

Leonardo Da Vinci - we played this and enjoyed it. A good solid game, but it just didn't seem to offer anything really new or interesting.

Siena - this looks interesting, but reviews have been really mixed. I'm not sure we want to buy it blind, but since nobody we know has it, I'm not sure we'll get to try it any other way.

BattleLore - at first this sounded exciting. Then we got annoyed about the Hill Giant promo. Then we got annoyed about the DOW rep not bringing many Earth Elementals to BGG.Con at not being able to get one. This led to the general annoyance impression that most of the interesting pieces for it will probably not be generally availble. Now, we might be able to get a Hill Giant (or might not) but by now the enthusiasm has kind of dropped, and just aren't sure its really worth it to us.

Tumblin Dice - this was fun, but not quite as fun as Crokinole. However, it is a bit more portable - especially if we got the Jr. version. But if we want something portable, its because we want to play it with others, and the Jr. only plays 2. Anybody know if it works ok if you add more dice in and play with 4?

Shogun - we've heard lots of praise for Wallenstein, but for some reason we've never tried it. Should we?

Sunken City - I saw this at some point and thought it looked really neat, though reviews seem a little mediocore.

Robo Rally - we've got all the original Robo Rally sets, so we would just be buying this for the new boards, the clear plastic flags, and a new deck of program cards (ours is in pretty bad shape). But we're just not sure if its worth it just for that.

Formidable Foes - Its a Friedman Freise with a dungeon crawl theme! This sounds like a good thing, but I don't know...the described gameplay doesn't sound that grabbing, and we recently got Drakon (from my Secret Santa!!) for a good dungeon crawl themed game.

Any comments on any of these? Suggestions for things we've overlooked? Or should we just hold off and wait for upcoming stuff?

Thanks for any suggestions!

(We being myself and Lisa (user Nightmare) in case anyone is actually being thorough enough to look at our ratings or anything)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For heaven's sake, don't get Siena!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, well, so far I'm getting this vague sense that Siena might not be the most highly recommended item.

I forgot one:

Hollywood Blockbuster - we played Traumfambrik and thought it was pretty fun, so we had decided we would buy Hollywood Blockbuster. But then, we saw HB in play. It just looked very...well...for lack of a better word, ugly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.