Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Variants

Subject: What should I play next? (Spoilers = Miniscule) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb

I just finished my first (solo) campaign ending in year 23 so I got to see a lot of the game world.

I am thinking about another campaign (after lying down in a darkened room gibbering for a while obviously). Mine was a “blind” play-through where I did not look at any choice I did not select. Therefore I could obviously play again normally and choose “Option B” throughout and get a totally different experience.

I was looking at the variants at the back of the book however and was wondering if you peeps had been too.

I don’t have 5-6 players or want to be a Storyteller, I see no need to play the Quick Mode and I am not ready to play the Death Mode – although one day I definitely will.

I don’t want to play the Hero Mode just yet. But my suggestion for that variant is if a survivor is knocked unconscious they don’t gain an Endeavour as a returning survivor. Otherwise you would just go and fight level 3 beasts every session from year one to hoover up Hunt track gains.

But the Seven Swordsmen (or women), The People of the Skull and the Twilight Knight in Training all appeal to me.

The Seven Swords could easily be combined with Hero Mode or Death Mode. You might want to take out some of the Innovations that relate to Intimacy and Death however. I do see it as being a big race for Iron however. You are going to need some swords. Seven in fact. That’s a lot of scrap!

The People of the Skull sounds a lot of fun. (Wildlings anyone?) Very much a low level vibe to it which appeals to me. The only thing is the [Blah Blah] Bow and the [Blah Blah] Arrow don’t have the Bone keyword. I might have to houserule they do.

The Twilight Knight sounds cool. (Kind of like getting a Saviour). I can imagine the knight in Lantern or Dragon Armour and three attendants with bandages and founding stones in case S/he gets into trouble. Another race for Iron possibly.

Do any of these appeal to you?

Phoenix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My group is champing at the proverbial bit to try out a skull campaign. It looks like a ton of fun. Also, bone daggers in a bone build are very strong, and certainly better than a bow without a bone build.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spears and blue savior a can help with ranged needs, and there's always bone darts. People of the skull looks fun, too. The variants all look super fun. I'm hoping that the expansions will include minor variants. Digital releases of official KD variants on the website would be neat, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Nick.

I have never seen armour with the Bone keyword (blind play-through) and that will be really frightening! That’s why I wanted bows and movement so as not to get hit. Or try and go for an evasion build.

Phoenix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Hellena

I have never seen a spear with the Bone keyword yet (blind play-through). Bone darts are one use so that could be an expensive campaign.

Masks have the bone keyword so that is good as does the LS cloak.

Blue Saviours rock, as do green ones with a green charm. I love this game.

Phoenix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, I meant Bone Darts. And the bone defensive stuff is rare and scattered- there isn't a bone Set like the rest, but there are definitely strong combos involving bone. If you're going for a bone focus,

Spoiler (click to reveal)
the stone circle should be a priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Phoenix_Bird wrote:
Thanks Nick.

I have never seen armour with the Bone keyword (blind play-through) and that will be really frightening! That’s why I wanted bows and movement so as not to get hit. Or try and go for an evasion build.

Phoenix

There is a pretty decent (for early game) helmet that you can make very early on. Not sure if it is even a spoiler but just in case..

skull helm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ha ha.

Turns out there is armour with the Bone keyword and I have even worn it!

Thanks for the reminder. You just increased my survivability by 300%.

Much appreciated.

Phoenix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll play Twilight Knight in training next. That has the potential to be a very short campaign as once he/she is dead it's game over, but starting with three profiency in the sword will be a huge bonus early game.

Skull and Seven Swords also sound great as well.

I hope there's more options for these in the future as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Think the idea's they're official house rules, and they're encouraging you to make your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Another bit of gear with the bone keyword that's easy to overlook:

The Scrap Shield. Very useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Ashaway
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mb
Phoenix_Bird wrote:

Bone darts are one use so that could be an expensive campaign.

They don't say to archive them after you activate them..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, they can break but aren't one-use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.