Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Float like a magnetic head and sting like a tracking error...this week we're playing VCR Top Rank Boxing! In this game of pausing and playing pugilism, players draw cards, roll dice, and watch exciting video clips in an attempt to last 13 rounds and win the judges' decision, or (allegedly) knock out their opponent. Can the makers of VCR College Bowl redeem themselves with this title? Will it be a KO, or merely be OK? Step into the ring with us to find out!

http://tableflipsyou.blogspot.com/2015/10/episode-82-vcr-top...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was, briefly, a thing in Germany called Quiz Boxing. Same as Chess Boxing, but with quiz rounds between boxing matches instead of chess. Created by Stefan Raab off of Schlag Den Raab along with many other things, because who else would think of that?

Based on this episode... I think I'll stick to Avalon Hill's Title Bout. Not many more choices (less choices if you solo it, at which point you just flip cards and watch a fight), but at least it's a far better simulation of a boxing match...

...Still got perforated cards, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Priddy
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see this, the VCR College Bowl seemed quite bad in design & hard to go through with any sensations of fun. Maybe a few boxing gloves thrown in will fix things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Florence
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any point to the uppercut?
During the battle of wits, it seems like a player should never perform an uppercut. If I understood things correctly:

This was a multiple-choice battle of wits. Players made a guess, and if they were wrong, got a penalty point and had to roll a d10. A player could choose to perform an uppercut and make 2 guesses. The uppercut automatically applied one penalty point, then the two guesses were processed in turn, worst case resulting in 2 penalty points and 2 die rolls.

Why would a player ever choose an uppercut? Best case, their first guess was right, but they still get 1 penalty point. If they didn't do an uppercut and their guess was wrong, they'd get 1 penalty point.

Is it because an uppercut with a correct first guess gives 1 penalty point but no die roll?

If an uppercut results in the automatic 1 penalty point *and* a die roll, then it seems to me that an uppercut is always suboptimal.

Am I missing something? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agf30338 wrote:
During the battle of wits, it seems like a player should never perform an uppercut. If I understood things correctly:

This was a multiple-choice battle of wits. Players made a guess, and if they were wrong, got a penalty point and had to roll a d10. A player could choose to perform an uppercut and make 2 guesses. The uppercut automatically applied one penalty point, then the two guesses were processed in turn, worst case resulting in 2 penalty points and 2 die rolls.

Why would a player ever choose an uppercut? Best case, their first guess was right, but they still get 1 penalty point. If they didn't do an uppercut and their guess was wrong, they'd get 1 penalty point.

Is it because an uppercut with a correct first guess gives 1 penalty point but no die roll?

As I understand it: If an uppercut landed, on either the first or second guess, the person using the uppercut would avoid a knockdown.

However, the uppercut cost a +1 to fatigue, and every incorrect answer gave a +1 to fatigue, so an uppercut with a correct first answer would be no knockdown and +1 to fatigue, an uppercut with a correct second answer would be no knockdown and +2 to fatigue, while an uppercut with no correct answer would be two knockdowns, one at +2 from previous fatigue accumulation, and one at +3.

I think strategically the correct play, if I'm understanding the battle correctly, was to save your uppercuts for questions you weren't sure of, and when the chances of being KO'd from a KD was quite high already. The difference between a +2 and a +3 for avoiding rolling a 15 on a d12 to is huge, and then it gradually shrinks in significance as your fatigue gets higher.

...Which actually is about right for boxing - riskier, but higher potential reward, plays getting used as your odds of winning under more conservative strategies goes down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff K
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as I can tell there is often no logic applied in the battle of wits. This is why one of the guys will guess a bid of $10,000 on the value of a pile of used Happy Meal toys.

If everyone plays to win then it would be a lot less funny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms Dew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loved the sound clip of Ben Turner's wails from the FTT commercial!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During the rules explanation when we were recording, I basically stopped listening after "Uppercut." Consequences be darned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mouseydew wrote:
Loved the sound clip of Ben Turner's wails from the FTT commercial!

Good ear, Ms. Dew!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Florence
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can the Professor weigh in? I listened to the rules again, and I'm still not sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Michaud
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking back at it, it could have been done a bit differently to make Uppercuts pay off a little bigger for the risk...but, what's done is done. We'll keep it in mind for the next VCR Boxing Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Adams
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing art show tribute to Mike Tyson's Punch-Out:

http://nerdist.com/mike-tysons-punch-out-gallery-1988/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.