Jon Purkis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
youtube.com/c/actualol
badge
Actualol Board Game Videos
mbmb
Is it possible to play a 4 player (2v2) with the BoW base game? If yes, does anyone have any tips or whether a specific scenario would work better than another?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's possible, certainly. I've never tried it, I would like to hear how it goes! The board could be a little crowded, but that might be fun!...lots of combat right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi Jon
Try it, you won't regret it. I tried with 2 friends, we had fun. For me, on BoW, a large battle is more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
Ciudad Autonoma de Buenos Aires
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played it several times as a "team" or "committee" game, IE: al players on a team decide on a given course of action together, and the game is played as normal.

It is great for teaching new players, and the visuals of the board really help make it seem like you're actually discussing real tactics.

You do want the players who know the game the most to be in separate teams, and to be willing to let the other person/s make desitions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Exactly Xavier.
It's important to balance the teams, because of the units diversity, abilities, commanders...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My best experience with this setup was with a scenario were Robb Stark starts out with another horse next to him, the one where you score points for putting units ahead.

We were playing 3v3, and I proposed a couple of conservative possibilities for a first move.

One of the other guys in my team said, look, we have these cards, we can move Robb and the other horse twice, attacking here.

I was like, well, that could work, or we could loose almost everything. Let's do it. It was incredible, we rolled like there was no tomorrow and we obliterated the forces of the other guys.

Fun times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Choices of war. You did well! and playing with friends on huge battles is very funny.
Even if I lose on BoW, I don't care, I enjoy it anyway.
Concerning Robb, and Rickard, Galbart Glover and Rodrick Cassel, they are overskilled. A bit much, compared to Lannisters' commanders. As the Wardens of the North units, very powerful compared to Wardens of the West.
For example, the Trident soldiers are very very powerful if you play an epic battle (because of their ability to avoid hits by using order tokens), in epic battles, you get about 10 order tokens. 1 token, 2 hits ignored. They are usually invincible. As the Mormont soldiers with Denfend ability.
Lannisters should get an advantage. FFG should have made the Tyrell expansion pack. Adding heavy cavalry, and a skilled infantry for example.
Xavier, if you have time, check my battleplans. I tried to mix expansion packs, Baratheon army, and to make fun scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrStark wrote:
Xavier, if you have time, check my battleplans. I tried to mix expansion packs, Baratheon army, and to make fun scenarios.

I'd love to check it out, but there's two problems I have:

1 - I have no opponents to play this game with . This is a general problem but also it prevents me from playing more advanced scenarios since I am usually teaching the game or playing against people with only a couple of plays under their belt, when I get the chance.

2 - I only have base, Baratheon and Tribes of the Vale, and I can't justify buying the rest since I play this game so little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Seaton
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought several copies straight from the off - I love big battles

It looks truly fantastic to see such large armies face off against each other. I also bought a few Baratheon boxes for epic three player battles.

I wholly reccomend them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SoldierISAS wrote:
I bought several copies straight from the off - I love big battles

It looks truly fantastic to see such large armies face off against each other. I also bought a few Baratheon boxes for epic three player battles.

I wholly reccomend them!

How many box you bought??? Do you play often?
I have 2 core sets, 2 WotN, 2 WotW, 1 Baratheon, 1 Riverrun, 1 Brotherhood.
I also bought 1 Battlelore 1st edition core set, and 2 code of chivalry expansion packs. Little prices. Check out BL 1st edition on internet, they are cheap!
I get the BL boxes to make the Tyrell armies, and the Wildlings (because I prepare a huge campaign, mixing "Game of Thrones" boargame and BoW), and, why not, the Targaryens.
I only played 2 epic battles. It's very funny playing with several friends.

Come on Joe, tell us what you got, and which kind of epic battles you played! Wich kind of scenario? or skirmich modes? your opinion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Xapi wrote:
FrStark wrote:

I'd love to check it out, but there's two problems I have:

1 - I have no opponents to play this game with . This is a general problem but also it prevents me from playing more advanced scenarios since I am usually teaching the game or playing against people with only a couple of plays under their belt, when I get the chance.

2 - I only have base, Baratheon and Tribes of the Vale, and I can't justify buying the rest since I play this game so little.

Yes, it's hard to find friends playing this game... I have the same problem, I play usually 3 times in a month. No more. I'd like to play more. And it's very rare to play an epic battle. You need several hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier A. Perez
Argentina
CABA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrStark wrote:
Yes, it's hard to find friends playing this game... I have the same problem, I play usually 3 times in a month. No more. I'd like to play more. And it's very rare to play an epic battle. You need several hours.

Three times in a month? I haven't been able to get a game in since February

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Damn, come to France!!
I played 3 times last months, but on october, once.
My friends are not often available. I played with my father, but he discovered other games, and he prefers them... I m so sad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We are having a 4 player match on Sat 07 Nov '15; [2] 1v1 games followed by [1] 2v2 game. I am GM'ing/teaching the game so there are actually 5 of us participating. BoW players are a rare, but hardcore breed, you haven't lived until you've your sent your enemies to the seven hells...Gods be Good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Seaton
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Julien,

I bought 4 Core Sets, 4 Baratheon, and 2 of each smaller expansion except for brotherhood, though only half of it has arrived so far.

I was planning on buying 2 boxes of Battlelore 1st Ed and using the human infantry as Tyrells, so I'm keen to know what you think about that?

I'd personally use the Code of Chivalry stuff to represent House Arryn and maybe the BL 2nd Editions to represent pre war Targaryens. I also found out that airfix infantry (which is very cheap now) is exactly in scale, so Greeks could be used for Unsullied and Celts for Wildlings.

As for epic battles, I've yet to come up with any custom scenarios, so I sampled big battles through 'plussing up' the given scenarios - Quadrupling the recommended troops, bulking the map's up by four (Doesn't work for the Blackwater sadly, but will find a way)

All in all, the epic battles are incredibly fun and it's breathtaking to see so many banners on one field. Still intend to develop a three player game and go full into a campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Seaton
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I also used this model to make a proxy Jon Snow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great Scott, you ll have a nice day! killing and buchering your friends on the battlefield.
I hope you will tell us what kind of battle and scenarios you ll have played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Seaton
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will do as soon as I can!

Will hopefully provide a few pictures some day

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
SoldierISAS wrote:
Hey Julien,

I bought 4 Core Sets, 4 Baratheon, and 2 of each smaller expansion except for brotherhood, though only half of it has arrived so far.

I was planning on buying 2 boxes of Battlelore 1st Ed and using the human infantry as Tyrells, so I'm keen to know what you think about that?

Oh no... Joe... no! It's unbelievable!! 4 core sets, 4 baratheon! Crazy!
I take a plane ticket right now, I join you to the battlefield!!!
What kind of table you ll find to play? an aircraft carrier?
I'm curious to see that.
You ll have to share us your games, pictures, feedback

Concerning Tyrell, I've just started to work on it. I copy here the few things I prepared :

TYRELL :

-- Units : Use Battlelore figures 1st edition. (1 core set + 2 code of chivalry)

24 Foot Knight Long Swordsmen --> Gardes Maison Tyrell (Infanterie classique) / Tyrell Guardians (classic Tyrell infantry)
16 Heavy Infantry --> Gardes de Corcollines ( troupe d'élite, armure lourde, longue épée) /Corcollines Guardians (elit troops, heavy armor, long swords)
24 Arbalestiers --> Arbalétriers de La Rose / Arbalestiers of the Rose
18 Regular Cavalry --> Nobles du Bief (cavaliers classiques) / Nobles from the Bief (classic cavalry)
12 Mounted Knight Lancers --> Epées liges (lanciers, charge contre infanterie) / I don't know if I have the right translation : Liege swords (lancers, efficient against infantry)
12 Heavy Cavalry --> Chevaliers de Haut Jardin (élite, lourds) / Highgarden Knights ( elit troops, very heavy and brutal)

-- Commandants :

C = Valeur de Commandement (number of commander token)
R = Résistance (the commander's defense)

Mace Tyrell : C = 3 / R = 2
Loras Tyrell : C = 3 / R = 3
Randyll Tarly : C = 3 / R = 3
Carlan Tyrell : C = 2 / R = 2
Seigneur de Villevieille : C = 2 / R = 2
Alester Florent : C = 2 / R = 2
Gerold Hightower : C = 2 / R = 2

Concerning the eighth commander, we could use the Lord of Villevieille (I don't know the english name, it's the second biggest city in Westeros, in the Bief).

We could create few keywords for units and commanders, but, no more than 2 or 3. The game has already enough specifications. Of course we will use existing keywords from other houses.

The most difficult part is to create the commanders cards. 40 cards for 8 commanders. Each commanders have twice the same cards. So 32 different cards to make.
To make the cards it won't be the most difficult, we can use the illustrations from "Game of Thrones" boardgame cards.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Seaton
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, I definately shall put pictures up as soon as I can. As for tables, luckily I am blessed with a large kitchen table with an extension that suffices with more than a bit of overlap, haha! But I needed so many to satisfy my craving for large battles. Things become nail biting when you see the amount given for a scenario in the core book wiped out in a turn and then some!

I like your Tyrell Plan! It's very well considered! I had a similar thought with the ideas of the Heavy Cavalry and Heavy Infantry being Knights of High Garden (The Tyrell Seat). The non armoured infantry, cavalry and archers I planned to filter between houses Tarly, Redwyne and Florent, similar to how the Stark and Lannister forces employ vassals such as Houses Clegane and Mormont.

For commanders I went for:
Mace Tyrell
Loras Tyrell
Garlan Tyrell
Willas Tyrell
Randyll Tarly

And your cards idea is solid Keep up the good work, mate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks Joe.
I hope I'll make it, it's certainly a long long work to create this army.
Your idea to implement the Tyrell's vassals is good. I think I'll apply it.
But first I have to finish few new battleplan, as usual, I post them on "variants" forum section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Seaton
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Using pictures located from this site (so the painting work is not mine)I'd use it like this for the commanders:

- Mace Tyrell

- Loras Tyrell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Seaton
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And this for the units:
- Foot Knights of High Garden (House Tyrell)

- Knights of Flowers (House Tyrell)

- Men at Arms of the Reach (House Tyrell)

- Guardians of the Arbour (House Redwyne)

- Knights of New Barrel (House Fossoway)

- Horn Hill Archers (House Tarly)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Durand
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice job Joe.
Good ideas for units names.
I've just started to work on cards. I ve spent several hours on this card (I'm a big noob on picture editing...). I ve just finished the basis commander card. See below Mace Tyrell. Text will be added when we will set his abilities :

So now I can make several commander cards easily. The most difficult is to build the first one.
And then, the hardest thing will come : create and balance units and commanders abilities.

Keep the good work Joe!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Seaton
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noob?
That's incredible, mate! Really top stuff! I wish I had that editing prowess!

And thank you for your kind words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.