Micah Fuller
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After years of training, the Apprentice is ready to challenge the Master and prove her skill. Use each of the five elemental techniques to attack your opponent while dispersing and countering their attacks. Chain the elements together to gain elemental affinities, improving your powers. Defeat your opponent to determine: Can the Apprentice defeat the Master, or is this just another lesson along the way? Observation, planning, and luck will each play a part in your victory.

Set-up
Each player takes a character card (Master or Apprentice) and places a Health token on the ‘10’ space on their card. (Health tokens must be cut out from the player aid card.)
Shuffle the Element cards together.
Deal 2 cards to the Apprentice. Deal 3 cards to the Master.
Place the remaining deck of cards nearby, face-down, and turn the top 3 cards face up next to it.
The Apprentice takes the first turn.

Elements
The Element cards are based on the traditional 5 elements of wood (green), fire (red), earth (yellow), metal (white), and water (black).
Each element is represented by 3 cards.

Each element disperses the power of another:
Wood } Water } Metal } Earth } Fire } Wood

Each element counters the power of another:
Wood > Earth > Water > Fire > Metal > Wood

Play

Your Turn

On you turn, choose and reveal any number of cards from your hand to create a single attack or chain.

Attack
All the cards in an attack must be of the same element. Attacks deal damage to your opponent as follows:
- Single card = 1 damage
- Two matching elements = 3 damage
- Three matching elements = 6 damage

If your attack element counters the element of your opponent’s last attack or chain, deal 1 additional damage for each card of the countered element. (example: your opponent attacked with 2 wood last turn, doing 3 damage to you. You attack this turn with 1 metal, doing 3 damage; 1 damage plus 2 damage for countering 2 wood cards)

Your opponent has the opportunity to disperse your attack if she wishes. In order to disperse an attack, she must reveal a card of the element that disperses your attack element. If she does, the damage from your attack is reduced by half (damage is rounded up). (example: You attack with 2 fire, which would normally do 3 damage. Your opponent reveals a water card to disperse your attack, and only takes 2 damage). Damage is always added or subtracted from an attack before halving it. A card revealed to disperse an attack may still be used in a chain, but not in an attack. It must be discarded at the end of your turn.

Chain
A chain consists of exactly 3 cards whose elements are different and connected around the outside circle of the elemental cycle (example: metal, earth, and fire). In this case, you deal no damage, but you may keep any one of the cards in front of you as an affinity.

Affinity effects are written directly on the element cards and modify the normal rules for you for the remainder of the game. Each element has 3 levels of affinity and each additional affinity of an element unlocks the next level (example: having 1 water affinity provides the benefit of water level 1, while having 2 water affinities provides the benefit of water level 1 and level 2). You may never have more than 3 affinities at a time, but you may freely discard an affinity to make room for a new one.

End of Turn
Any cards you did not use on your turn remain in your hand.
At the end of your turn, draw cards until you have 3 cards in your hand. You may draw each card from the 3 cards displayed face up, or from the top of the deck.

Replace the face up cards from the deck only after you finish drawing cards.

Once you have finished drawing cards, your turn is over, and your opponent will take a turn.

Any time the deck runs out of cards, reshuffle all discarded cards to form a new deck.

Game End
The game ends and you win immediately when you reduce your opponent’s health to 0 or less.

PnP Files
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0fvun3p45setmtx/AADbst8v-uiOrRqOr...
(I have so far only printed and sleeved the fronts. Let me know if you run into any alignment issues with the backs.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hook says :"I can paint for you if you need artistic help with you game"
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very fascinated with your system. I must try it :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romuald chapeau
France
Flers en Escrebieux
NORD
flag msg tools
mbmb
Looks great!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micah Fuller
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I've done some testing, but would love to get some more feedback.
I updated the OP with a link to PnP files (US letter size though)

Niklas, the system was inspired largely by the descriptions from this random article that I found while researching elemental systems:
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=727
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niklas Hook
Denmark
Coppenhagen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hook says :"I can paint for you if you need artistic help with you game"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is great how the "wheel" rotate.

I will try to get time to test it soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.