Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(For more FAQ's answered by Hasbro, go here.)

I submitted a list of questions to Hasbro based on recurring questions here on BoardGameGeek. I received the following answers:

1) Page 7 says, “You can only use activated abilities from the army card you chose.” Please, give a definitive list of the activated abilities currently in the game.

ARENA OF THE PLANESWALKERS
Gideon Jura, Combat Mage
        Counter Strike - Triggered
Rhox Veterans
        Battle Formations - Static
        Trample - Triggered
Kor Soldiers
        Detain - Triggered

Jace Beleren
        Focused Thoughts - Activated
        Mind Stealer - Triggered
Illusionary Projections
        Collective Knowledge - Triggered
        Illusionary Deception - Triggered
Leyline Phantoms
        Phantom Walk - Static

Nissa Revane,
        Keen Sight - Static
        Sprint - Triggered
Elf Rangers
        Squad Sprint - Triggered
Pummelroot Elementals
        Trample - Triggered

Chandra Nalaar, Pyromancer
        Double Attack - Triggered
        Super Heated - Activated
Blazing Firecats
        Haste - Triggered
        Intense Strike - Triggered
Flamewing Phoenixes
        Flying - Static
        Rebirth - Triggered

Liliana Vess, Necromancer
        Zombie Toughness - Static
        Snuff Out - Activated
Restless Zombies
        Darkness Arises - Triggered
Blighted Reavers
        Necrotic Stench - Static

2) When can activated abilities be used? (i.e., before moving the selected figure, in the middle of movement, after moving a figure but before attacking, between attacks, after attacking, etc.)

You can use activated abilities almost anytime: before moving, after moving and before attacking, after attacking. You cannot use activated abilities in the middle of a move or in the middle of combat.

[Note: The above actually contradicts the previous FAQ (Question 5), but I believe this is the correct ruling.]

3) Page 7 of the rulebook states that “summoned figures must be...within 5 clear sight spaces of your Planeswalker.” Precisely, what does “clear sight spaces” mean? Does this require the Planeswalker to have line of sight (LOS) to the hex where the figure will be summoned, LOS to the figure that is being summoned, both, or something else?

Yes. You can place the figure you want to summon in a space to see if your Planeswalker can see it. If your Planeswalker can see it, you can summon it to that space. If your Planeswalker cannot, you need to find another space, one that meets the requirement of Clear Sight Spaces.

Page 13, Arena of the Planeswalkers game guide under Clear Sight Spaces:
Nissa’s Keen Sight mentions “clear sight.” To determine clear sight, use Nissa’s target point. If she can see any part of your figures (not just the hit zone) within the 4 spaces, they are affected by Keen Sight. To determine clear sight from a double-space figure, you may count from any of the spaces the figure occupies.

4) Please, clarify how your ruling to Question 3 affects the summoning of double spaced figures. Page 13 states that “only one hex of the base needs to be within the 5 clear sight spaces.” Let’s say I summon a double-spaced figure placing one half of the figure 5 hexes away and the other half of the figure 6 hexes away. If an obstacle blocks LOS to the portion of the figure 5 spaces away, but the Planeswalker can clearly see the portion of the figure 6 spaces away, can the figure still be summoned there? (Note: Page 10 of the rulebook states that line of sight "has nothing to do with the spaces on the battlefield.”)

In your example, your Planeswalker needs to see the double-spaced figure in the 5th space.

5) For line of sight (LOS), must a figure be facing its target to attack it or does LOS from the green dot on the army card (typically the figure’s head) have a 360 degree arc? (i.e., can a figure look out the back of its head?)

No facing is required. You can look behind the attacking figure from any angle.

6) The Illusionary Projections ability “Illusionary Deception” states that it occurs “At the start of the turn of a blue Planeswalker you control...” When does a Planeswalker’s turn begin? (i.e., when the Planeswalker is selected in Action 2, at the beginning of Action 3 right before the Planeswalker moves, etc.)

The Planeswalker’s turn starts when the Planeswalker is selected.

7) Please, explain how your ruling for Question 6 relates to summoning. Must the blue Planeswalker summon before using “Illusionary Deception,” after using “Illusionary Deception,” or is it the players choice on order?

Yes, you can use Illusionary Deception before you summon.

[Note: I read the previous two statements as implying you cannot summon before using "Illusory Deception."]

8) The White spell “Inspired Charge” gives +2/+1 until end of turn. What is the point of the extra defense dice if it's gone by the time you would be attacked again?

In the Arena of the Planeswalker Core game alone, there is no use for increasing a creature’s toughness on your turn.

9) Page 10 of the rulebook says, “Place one damage marker on its army card if it is a Planeswalker or a unique hero...Place the damage marker on the base of the figure if it is a squad figure or a common hero.” However, page 11 contradicts this saying, “If the figure is common, then any damage markers go on the base. If the figure is unique, then the damage marker goes on the army card." I believe page 11 is a misprint as it would be difficult to differentiate between damage on different unique squad members. Which of these two statements is correct?

This was a mistake, this is the correct text:
For each damage dealt, a damage marker is placed on the base of the figure if it is a squad creature or on the army card if it is a hero creature or a Planeswalker.

[Note: I believe the statement above fails to take into account the possibility of Common Heroes (which existed in HeroScape). An alternate wording may be found in the official Hasbro instructional video linked to in this thread. At 7:55, James D'Aloisio (the game designer) states, "For each damage dealt, a damage marker is placed either on the base of the figure or on the army card depending on if there is just one or more than one figure on the army card."]

EDIT: Hasbro accidentally sent me a second file that included 5 additional questions that someone else must have submitted along with the official answers. I've renumbered them and included them below for reference.

10) The rules state that if a hidden enchantment's trigger is forgotten, it is "put out of play" as a result. Does this mean that the card is immediately discarded once a player has discovered that the trigger was missed, or that the trigger was simply missed and play continues until the next time?

Page 6, Arena of the Planeswalkers game guide under Enchantments- Aura cards:
“If you forget to trigger a hidden enchant card, it is placed out of play without being triggered. So don’t forget.”

If a hidden enchantment’s trigger is forgotten, it is placed out of play – it is not discarded and placed into the player’s graveyard, it’s placed entirely out of the game. If it is not triggered at the first opportunity, it does not trigger at all and is placed out of play.

11) It seems that there is an implied "reserve" zone where nonsummoned squads are located, and when they are summoned by a Planeswalker they are moved to a more general "play" zone to signify they are no longer in the reserve. I got this impression due to the rules on what happens when units die, since they go to their own graveyards. Does this mean that squads can only ever be summoned once per game, and as units die they can never be replaced by resummoning? Since squad cards go to a graveyard when all units of a particular squad die, does this mean that once a squad is lost there is no way to summon that squadron anymore until another game?

Page 6, Arena of the Planeswalkers game guide under 2. Place your army cards in front of you:
“Place all non-Planeswalker army cards and figures in your army off to one side face up. This location is called your reserve.”

Page 7, Arena of the Planeswalkers game guide under PLANESWALKER RULES:
“Before Action 3 of your Planewalker’s turn, your Planewalker may summon up to two squads and heroes from your reserve to the battlefield.”

It is not an implied “reserve” zone. It is clearly stated in the rules. See quotes above.

Since summoning only happens from the reserve and not the graveyard, destroyed figures by definition cannot be summoned. However, sometimes you can still play abilities and spell cards on figures once they are in the figure graveyard that can return them to the battlefield! Restless Zombies’ Darkness Arises ability, Flamewing Phoenixes’ Rebirth ability, and spells like Rise of the Dark Realms have rules that allow players to interact in different ways with figures in your figure graveyard.

12) Stemming off from the previous question, if a unit from a squad is the target of the spell Unsummon and is thus sent back to the reserve, is it correct to deduce that they can be resummoned once you choose the Planeswalker as the unit to control on your turn?

Correct.

Page 7, Arena of the Planeswalkers game guide under PLANESWALKER RULES:
“Before Action 3 of your Planewalker’s turn, your Planewalker may summon up to two squads and heroes from your reserve to the battlefield.”

13) The actual flow of combat is a bit confusing, especially when certain spells can trigger from an attack. Cards like Strangling Soot trigger when a unit is being attacked by an opposing unit, and in this case it destroys the attacking unit. Does the trigger happen immediately upon the declaration of the attack, before dice are rolled? Or does the rolling of the attacker's dice act as the indication that the attack has been made and the trigger happens before defense dice are rolled? Or does this only happen if damage would be applied at all (a failed defense)?

Cards like Strangling Soot and Call to Heel trigger on the announcement of the attack.

Page 11, Arena of the Planeswalkers game guide under HOW TO ATTACK
“To carry out the attack, follow these steps: 1. Announce which figure is the attacker and which figure is the defender.”

14) Do the rules of when spells go to the graveyard apply in this game the same way as in the original Magic the Gathering card game, in that after the effect of the spell happens it goes to the graveyard and thus be targeted by Twinflame for another recasting of the first spell?

Yes. Spells go into the graveyard immediately after being played, so Dual Casting (which allows you to play a red sorcery from your graveyard that you played this turn) can be used as written.

EDIT: I discovered the following clarification at HeroScapers.com. For the original, see the second post on this thread.

15) Clarification on Dual Casting (which also applies to Talent of the Telepath).

When using the the red spell Dual Casting, the played card does count towards the 3 spell per turn limit. Here’s an example:

You play Incinerate.
You play Dual Casting.
You select Incinerate to play again.
You have played 3 spells and cannot play another spell this turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for posing them these questions and posting the answers here!
The rulebook, which leaves too many issues unanswered, is a weakness of this otherwise great looking game. I am working on a list with further questions not answered by the rulebook or already posted Hasbro e-mails myself. I am planning to send it in and will thus (hopefully) be able to post another FAQ part at some point. (Your question 5 was on my list as well, glad it is already answered now.)

Unfortunately, some of the answers you got don't seem that satisfactory:

Vydar wrote:

2)
[...]
[Note: The above actually contradicts the previous FAQ (Question 5), but I believe this is the correct ruling.]

Exactly. So we need to ask them a new question pointing out that contradiction to them and asking them which of the two completely different answers is correct...
Why do you believe the seconed ruling is the correct one? I could see it going either way. It would make some sense to treat activated abilities like spell cards regarding when to activate/play them (as the first ruling did) - spell cards can't be played between move and attack.

Vydar wrote:

7) Please, explain how your ruling for Question 6 relates to summoning. Must the blue Planeswalker summon before using “Illusionary Deception,” after using “Illusionary Deception,” or is it the players choice on order?

Yes, you can use Illusionary Deception before you summon.

[Note: I read the previous two statements as implying you cannot summon before using "Illusory Deception."]

This doesn't sound as if the person answering really read your question. The interesting part of the question isn't if you *can* use Illusionary Deception before you summon, but if you *must*.

However, I agree that it should follow from the answer to your question 6 (which I already took as given before) that you aren't allowed to still use Illusionary Deception after summoning. (You better summon those Illusionary Projections early on if you want to use their Illusionary Deception later!)

Vydar wrote:

9) Page 10 of the rulebook says, “Place one damage marker on its army card if it is a Planeswalker or a unique hero...Place the damage marker on the base of the figure if it is a squad figure or a common hero.” However, page 11 contradicts this saying, “If the figure is common, then any damage markers go on the base. If the figure is unique, then the damage marker goes on the army card." I believe page 11 is a misprint as it would be difficult to differentiate between damage on different unique squad members. Which of these two statements is correct?

For each damage dealt, a damage marker is placed on the base of the figure if it is a squad creature or on the army card if it is a hero creature or a Planeswalker.

[Note: I believe the statement above fails to take into account the possibility of Common Heroes (which existed in HeroScape). An alternate wording may be found in the official Hasbro instructional video linked to in this thread. At 7:55, James D'Aloisio (the game designer) states, "For each damage dealt, a damage marker is placed either on the base of the figure or on the army card depending on if there is just one or more than one figure on the army card."]

Nice catch to also find the mention of where to place damage markers on p. 10 under "leaving an engagement" - I thought I had read it somewhere else (than on p. 11 under attacks), but couldn't find it anymore.
A little disappointing that they manage to correct the erratum on p. 11 by choosing a new wording which also contradicts the one on p. 10 (which does take the possibility of common heros into account).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for digging for this info JD!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darador wrote:
Unfortunately, some of the answers you got don't seem that satisfactory:

I agree. The first answer went above and beyond what I asked, but later questions were not read carefully and several responses do not use precise language...but this is what Hasbro sent me and it's better than nothing.

Darador wrote:
Why do you believe the second ruling is the correct one? I could see it going either way.

The first ruling always bothered me because the wording given was for spells, not abilities. It felt like a restriction applied by someone who hadn't read the rules carefully. This is why I resubmitted the question.

In HeroScape, abilities explicitly state when they take effect (e.g., before moving, after moving and before attacking, etc.), but different army cards have abilities that fire at just about any time during the activation sequence. The exception being that abilities never (to my knowledge) break up movement or break up an attack. Activated abilities for Arena of the Planeswalker all say "use this ability once per turn," which implies to me that they should have flexibility to be used at any time other abilities typically might be used. If that were not the case, they should say something like "use this ability once either at the start or the end of this figure's turn."

That said, I'd still encourage you to submit it in your FAQ submission to Hasbro with both rulings and ask which ruling is correct.

Darador wrote:
A little disappointing that they manage to correct the erratum on p. 11 by choosing a new wording which also contradicts the one on p. 10 (which does take the possibility of common heros into account).

Personally, I'll be using the wording on page 10 as it seems the most carefully worded version of the rule. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what you do as long as you keep track of wounds carefully in a manner that everyone understands.

Darador wrote:
I am working on a list with further questions...and will thus (hopefully) be able to post another FAQ part at some point.

I'll look forward to reading your thread "Hasbro Provided Rules FAQ (part 3)" in the near future!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've updated the first post. Hasbro accidentally sent me the wrong FAQ file when they initially responded to my query. That file included all the Q&A's contained in the HASBRO PROVIDED Rules FAQ thread, but it also included 5 additional Q&A's. I've renumbered those 5 questions and added them to the end of the first post for reference. I have no clue who submitted these, but I thought everyone might benefit by them being made public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered a clarification on Dual Casting (which also applies to Talent of the Telepath) so I added it to the first post as #15.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the geniusclown
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Vydar wrote:

I believe the spirit of this rule is that it's easier to put the damage marker on the card, but in the case of 3-unit squads it's difficult to tell who each damage marker belongs to, and that's why it's necessary to put the tokens on those figures instead.

The published directions say "a damage marker is placed either on the base of the figure or on the army card, depending on whether the figure is common or unique," but does not include the special "common" and "unique" symbols or refer to the Squad. I read this to mean a figure is common if there's more than one Figure (not squad) and unique if there is only one of that type of figure.

This interpretation of the original rules along with the errata quoted implies that Hero squads will be made up of single units. This still begs a question of Common Heroes (which are mentioned in the rulebook in the Enchantment - Aura cards description): if you have two common heroes, each with their own Army Card but have the same figure then how do you distinguish with figure goes with which card? This question is of course moot until expansions containing heroes is released.

My first two cents,
.geniusclown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultimately, it doesn't matter as long as you keep track of damage in a way that is clear to everyone. I personally follow the rules as stated on Page 10, though if I had a solitary Common Hero, I'd probably put the damage on the card rather than the base. If I were running 2+ of the same common hero, damage goes on the figure's base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marten Dollinger
msg tools
I imagine a lot of folks got this game and its horribly incomplete rulebook for Christmas, and we're going to see a lot of repeat questions. Is there a way to sticky this thread and the other FAQ thread, or merge then sticky them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kelley montgomery
msg tools
i have a question about when a player dies in game. If you have enchantments on Another players planes walker( like with despise and crippling blight) do the enchantments go into graveyard as well or do they stay on the players cards until they die or win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amethysteness wrote:
i have a question about when a player dies in game. If you have enchantments on Another players planes walker( like with despise and crippling blight) do the enchantments go into graveyard as well or do they stay on the players cards until they die or win?

There is no official ruling for this in the rule book.

In a free-for-all with player elimination, I would remove that player's enchantments from the game when the player's Planeswalker is destroyed. That is the way it works in the card game.

In team matches, I would tend to leave the enchantments in play until all Planeswalkers on a side are destroyed. Loss of an allied Planeswalker is a pretty big disadvantage already, so there is no need to add insult to injury. (Technically, if the Blue player stole your enchantment, it could be better to remove the enchantments from the game, but I think that's rarer than the enchantments being beneficial to the team that lost the Planeswalker.) In team matches, I also allow players who have lost their Planeswalker to continue playing previously summoned creatures until all Planeswalkers on their side have been eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saun Conlin
msg tools
Can spell damage like that of "Killing Wave" be defended through dice rolling? If not, there's nothing in Gideon's arsenal to prevent a massacre in a one on one with Liliana. I watched a shield wall of heavily enchanted Rhox Veterans get wiped out by it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Schipper
United States
Prescott Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you don't roll defense against spells like Killing Wave. It's a powerful spell, which is why it costs 40 points--that's 20% of the total deck point value. The downside is that Liliana has to put herself in melee range to use it, which is not where she wants to be. On several occasions, I've seen Liliana charge in and slaughter entire squads of figures only to be killed the next round because she overextended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.