"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there folks...

I work with kids, 3rd and 4th graders after school, and play a lot of games... The more kids I have playing, the better...

Could this work with up to 8 players, if you played four teams of two players? Each kid could have their own figure, or the two player team could make joint decissions...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While it is possible, keep in mind that there will be player elimination. And woe to the kid with a level 6 figure against the kid with a level 1.

It will work, but there's going to be some big problems unless you're playing with just the base set.

My suggestion would be to get a second board (Frigost/Not Mines/Base game) some extra figures, and have a couple games going on at a time with a shared pool of figures.

It really is designed as a two-player dudes on a map game, and doesn't work so well with more. But, with kids, this could work, as the bling factor of this game is quite high.

Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! So 8 players each controlling their own figure is not a good idea...
But it sounds like you could still have four teams with two figures each, right?

I would be open to getting extra boards and figures, but I would want to see if the basic game was a hit with the kids before comitting the extra money, and for that to happen, I would need it to be playable with four, be they teams or single players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
Hi there folks...

I work with kids, 3rd and 4th graders after school, and play a lot of games... The more kids I have playing, the better...

Could this work with up to 8 players, if you played four teams of two players? Each kid could have their own figure, or the two player team could make joint decissions...

This is bad idea for so many reasons. I will describe them below.

When I was a teacher I ran a highly successful game club.

I would love to share some insights with you on this.

1. Player Elimination: As the other poster pointed out there will be player elimination. The problem with this is that you will get students that start milling around being bored. The likelihood they are having fun after elimination drops significantly. The likelihood they come back to another game session drops even more. Especially if this happens several game club sessions in a row. Moreover, students aimlessly milling about your room because they have been eliminated is just asking for off-task trouble (getting into things they shouldn't get into, causing mischief, leaving the room to wander off to some other place in the building etc.)

2. Uneven match-ups. The figures have levels and some figures just over power others. The kid on the wrong end of that match-up won't have much fun.

3. Complexity: The complexity factor of Krosmaster is pretty high for 3rd and 4th grade students. Maybe some students can actually handle this, but it won't be a lot of them. Those who don't really get it and are just doing what you or other players tell them to do won't have fun because they really don't get the (1) rule structure or (2) the expectations of how to play and note those are two separate things. Moreover, if you have enough students in your game club such that some are playing krosmaster and others are playing other games you won't have enough time to supervise all the students, manage issues like running to the bathroom, snacks, drinks, and supervising the other games and still deal with rules issues for krosmaster let alone coaching individual students (who are not getting it) through the game.

4. Downtime: The downtime with that many players is going to high.

5. Playtime: The playtime with that many players and that many figures is going to be long.

Honestly I would go in an entirely different direction to spend money from my gaming budget.

Here are criteria I would look for in games for students in this age group.

1. No player elimination. This solves several problems (as mentioned above).
2. Short play time. When a kid doesn't like a game at least they can move on to something they do look sooner rather than later. Remember this is about their engagement and enjoyment.
3. Low down time.
4. Avoid bash the leader fests. I have found students enjoy a range of levels of player interaction, but anything that has too much beat up the leader will cause students to leave the group and not come back. Social collusion against others is just not what you want to promote with students in this age range.
5. Avoid deception. 3rd and 4th grade students are not particularly good at deception. Some can do it, many can't do it well or at all so things like the resistance might not go over well. If you had middle school students like grades 6-8 I would say go for it but 3rd and 4th just won't work for a wide swath of students, not all of them but enough that it will be a problem so why create problems for yourself.
6. Get co-ops. Students love player interaction, and it is best to get them working in teams toward common goals.
7. Get games with some spatial thinking.
8. Get games with some nice graphics and toy factor.
9. Get games with management aspects. Managing a hand of cards, managing resources. Managing short term vs. long term gain.
10. Dexterity games are fun! Students love them.
11. Expenses matter. Get games that are readily available, often discounted or are initially cheap to get in the first place (like gamewright games). Pieces will get lost, broken, cards torn, things will get spilt, stomped, stepped on etc. Be ready with replacement parts. I usually would get multiple copies of games and then eventually one copy turned into a "parts copy" for the others.

Good games for a school game group of students around this age:

Forbidden Island
Forbidden Desert (if you do have a few more advanced students).
Animal Upon Animal
Gold am Orinoko
Sorry! Sliders
Carcassonne (leave out the farmer scoring except with more advanced students).
Ticket to Ride
Rhino Hero
Sushi Go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cozzolino
United States
Lebanon
Virginia
flag msg tools
I would add love letter (batman is the best version), One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and Cash and Guns if you OK with kids pointing foam guns at each other. My cousins are around that age love playing those and they are fun enough even if they dont get all the strategies to just have a great time.
This game would be better suited a kid if its a 1 on 1 game with a grown up so you can help and keep them focused. Its hard to get them all to listen when one starts goofing off. I learned my lesson teaching 3 of my cousins Star Wars Risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.