Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Gene Ksenzakovic
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to gift a game or two for friends of mine. They are a couple and enjoy computer rpgs and have played board games with me. They would be casual gamers who both enjoy fantasy. Fire away please, I look forward to all of your suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kahnt
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
It's fun, it's healthy, it's good exercise. The kids will just love it. And we put a little sand inside to make the experience more pleasant.
badge
You know, they say there was a man who jumped from the forty-FIFTH floor? But that's another story...
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels might be a good one to look at... its a fun 'fantasy' type game...

-DK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Ksenzakovic
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestion. Need something more oriented to 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be helpful to know what you've played with them, and they've enjoyed, to give potential helpers a bit of a steer...

Runebound, for instance, would be a suggestion, but might not be their thing at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard good things about Dungeon Twister.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister is a fantasy game in theme only. It is really a brain burner for the casual game. However, I do like this game, but do not mistake it for a dungeon crawl. If they are into more cerebral games they might enjoy this one.

If you are looking for dungeon crawl style games that involve player development, I would suggest Return of the Heroes or Runebound. I have played both of these with 2 players numerous times. They have many fantasy elements, and the player interaction/combat can be as intense as you want it to be. When playing Runebound with two, we rarely enter into PvP combat, but rather play the game more as a race as we complete increasingly difficult adventures. Neither are hard games to understand after a couple of plays. However, I would recommend Runebound over RotH due to the numerous mistakes on the tiles of RotH and the strangely written rule book.

I have also played Descent with two, but you have to be willing to try and crush your opponent. In my experience, those type of games do not work well with couples.

Battlelore would be a great choice. It has the fantasy element, is a two-player game, and is relatively easy to learn. This may be your best bet.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Ksenzakovic
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What we have played:
Old school Talisman (GW first edition) they enjoyed it.
The Search for the Emperor's Treasure they enjoyed that.
Guillotine (I purchased that for them earlier and they liked that very much)

I would definately say that the games need to be on the lighter side.
This would mostly be for them to play together, that's why the 2 player requirement. So the fantasy aspect was thrown in because fi their shared interest in fantasy but any good 2 player recommendations would be welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: the Confrontation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
A couple more good 2 players.

Carcasonne for something completely different.
Lost Cities (seems to work with every couple)
Battlelore (little more intense but definitely satisfies the thirst for quick and easy fantasy - IMO)
Mr. Jack (this might be the best of the bunch, kind of macabre but great for two!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
Lighter Games
Battle Lore: Wildly popular tactical game, great minis and nice components, magic and fantasy as well as historical scenarios

LoTR The Confrontation: Haven't played it, but I believe it is a good easy to play knizia game

Heavier Games
Shadows over camelot: semi coop/semi competitive game with a great theme

descent: co op fantasy game. Appealing particularly to non heavy roleplayers (i.e. they like hack and slash)

A game of thrones: political multiplayer based of the books

War of the Ring: A two player wargame, great depth of strategy, covering all three books

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakon
Dungeoneer
Runebound 2nd edition
Prophecy

These are a few games that my husband and I have enjoyed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try:

Return of the Heroes
Dungeon Twister
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation
Blue Moon
Hera & Zeus
Atlas & Zeus
Camelot Legends

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cason
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either Heroscape or doom. Those reasons are because they have some fantasy in them and they're really fun games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Ksenzakovic
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all.

Gene K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing a lot of DUNGEONEER lately. It is really cool. It's like a version of TALISMAN that can fit in two pockets. My wife and I have been enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.